SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla apparently on Autopilot pulled over with drunk, sleeping driver behind the wheel, police say
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla apparently on Autopilot pulled over with drunk, sleeping driver behind the wheel, police say Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Testing out the Tesla limits...I bet this will be costly for the driver.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/t...the-wheel-police-say

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are Teslas programmed to automatically pull over without driver input?

Edit: Okay, the pulled in front of it and slowed down. That stopped it automatically.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I mean, if we're gonna have auto cars then what's the problem? This and being able to text and ride are the two best reasons in support, right?

Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I mean, if we're gonna have auto cars then what's the problem? This and being able to text and ride are the two best reasons in support, right?

Eek

Maybe one day but they're not there yet. You can still get a DUI if you're in a parking lot passed out with the keys in the car in most states.

Blows me away that someone would already trust the technology to let it go 70mph down the highway while essentially being in the back seat.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, it probably kept him safer and helped others on the road stay safe since he wasn't actually driving the car.

Think this might be a new twist for Tesla, the Designated Driver System..

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it's a footrace between the technology and the laws. Once the technology is proven and solid then laws can be adapted to have less requirements on driver control and input. But we're not there yet.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting legal issue. In Florida a DUI is "...driving or in actual physical control..." "Actual physical control" is for those times you are behind the wheel but passed out keys in ignition.

But, for argument sake, the Tesla was "driving" not the driver, it was an autonomous "designated driver", and that is evidenced by the fact that the car "stopped" itself. Fun case to take to trial.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
But for the owner, the car would not have been put in motion. Owner is responsible for everything the car does as soon as it's put in motion.

In my mind, the owner is a selfish, inconsiderate moron. Risk his own life as much as he wants. But he's putting others at risk because he doesn't know when to put down the drink.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
But for the owner, the car would not have been put in motion. Owner is responsible for everything the car does as soon as it's put in motion.

In my mind, the owner is a selfish, inconsiderate moron. Risk his own life as much as he wants. But he's putting others at risk because he doesn't know when to put down the drink.

^^^Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner!

Assholes like that are the ones that would rather drink and drive than pay for a cab or some other inconvenience. I get that alcohol changes how one thinks, but man, I'd sure like to see the law kick people like him right in their taint. Maybe then, some of these idiots would wise up and make better choices. The fact that it was a Tesla suggests to me that this person is well off to begin with and will likely buy his way out with not much more than a short suspension of his license and not much in the way of an actual punishment. Fuck people that have no consideration of others. So many here will say I'm being overly sensitive and that everyone makes mistakes, but drunk driving isn't so much a mistake as a shitty decision that could have life altering/ending consequences.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Why would an occupant of an autonomous vehicles be required to have a driver's license? You don't need a DL to ride in an Uber.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Why would an occupant of an autonomous vehicles be required to have a driver's license? You don't need a DL to ride in an Uber.

At least for now, my understanding is that a person is supposed to be readily and immediately available to take control of the vehicle should something go wrong or some unforeseen circumstance occur. Autonomous driving doesn't mean go to sleep. It means be ready to take over immediately.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
But, for argument sake, the Tesla was "driving" not the driver, it was an autonomous "designated driver", and that is evidenced by the fact that the car "stopped" itself. Fun case to take to trial.

I can see the legal argument and it should make for an interesting case

quote:
Originally posted by konata88

I could even see the argument made that the owner didn't set the car in motion...A third party could have put (poured) him into the car and set it to take him home

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the driver actually bypassed the safety measure built into Autopilot, since he was able to fall asleep. Autopilot requires the driver apply pressure to the steering wheel every few minutes or the dashboard will flash and an alarm will sound to indicate the system is about to be disengaged.

This was added after that one car drove under the trailer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Uber or a taxi would've been the better option here. Either way, dude's an idiot.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What is the point of an automatic car unless it can drive when I cant. Why else would I want one?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I met a guy a few weeks ago who got a DUI for being asleep in the passenger seat while his friend was inside the convenience store. The engine was on for the A/C, as it was 115 degrees out. Cop knocked on the window to check on the guy, he was drunk and the only person in a running car, thus in control, convicted.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I met a guy a few weeks ago who got a DUI for being asleep in the passenger seat while his friend was inside the convenience store. The engine was on for the A/C, as it was 115 degrees out. Cop knocked on the window to check on the guy, he was drunk and the only person in a running car, thus in control, convicted.

I'm surprised a jury would have convicted him.

He must have had a dump truck for a lawyer

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

I'm surprised a jury would have convicted him.

He must have had a dump truck for a lawyer

Arizona is very tough on drunk drivers. I had a neighbor with a bottle of beer in her hand, standing outside her car with keys in ignition, and got a DUI. Pima county Sheriff was driving by and saw her drink the beer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post