SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like raw oysters?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like raw oysters? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yep. Was stationed in Jax, FL years ago. Used to go to Calico Jacks 3'4 times a week for them.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Love raw oysters! I prefer them from the Mediterranean, personally.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have tried, but they are not for me. I will eat them if they are baked on the half shell. My grandfather would put a piece of bacon on them and bake them for me when he and everyone else ate them raw. That was when I was a kid and used to go visit him on Long Island; he was a fisherman. I rarely eat them today.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Oh heck yes. I am a big fan of Pacific Northwest oysters. Love it when I go to a place up there and they have an oyster menu with whatever varieties are fresh that day. Maybe just a drop of lemon juice but I like to taste the differences in each type of oyster.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love them. Especially Japanese shooters. But the last 4 times I had them, I got violently ill. Each time I got sicker. I really don’t think they were bad, two batches were even fried. I just think I became allergic.

Pretty stupid to make yourself sick four times. I didn’t want to believe the oysters were to blame.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you like raw oysters?

No.

Though, I should clarify I do like them, but only when out in their habitats.

The only good mollusc is a live mollusc. Wink

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Abso-Fricken-lutely no way.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I like them but can't help but worry about getting sick. I still eat them but not as often as I would like.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just pure nasty

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, with hot sauce and freshly squeezed lemon.
They are also wonderful on the grill, stuffed, in fritters and chowdah.
When I lived on Cape Cod, got them directly from the water; Wellfleet, Cotuit and Dennis.
The last dozen raw ones I had, only eleven worked.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Here in Maryland you steam your crabs in Old Bay and eat your oysters raw with horseradish sauce. Plenty of beer. It's a party.
Chris

Count me in. (My wife's from Maryland and we spend a lot of time there)

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24127 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
No! Sign above the lunch counter in Earl Abel's (the original at Hildebrand & Broadway), in San Antonio...

"It was a brave man who ate the first oyster."

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dma1
posted Hide Post
Give me oysters and beer
For dinner every day of the year
And I'll feel fine
I'll feel fine

Jimmy Buffet
Tin Cup Chalice

I have similar sentiments. Living near the Gulf coast, I've eaten them just about any way they can be eaten. Fortunately, I have never gotten sick. There's a place in Valparaiso, Florida called Doc's Oyster Bar that I can highly recommend to anyone who finds themselves near Eglin AFB and loves oysters. Raw, grilled, fried, Po Boy, you name it.

Posts: 275 | Registered: September 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I don't eat boogers, so oysters are pretty much out. I've tried them raw, cooked, every way but open fire roasted (which I do intend to do with my sister sometime in Charleston), but have yet to actually enjoy them. The texture is pretty gross...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love them. Can't wait for vacation to hit our favorite spot for oysters, Indian Pass Raw Bar. Oysters and an ice cold Yuengling.....YUM.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Never had one. Can't bring myself to try them.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an abundance of oyster here. A favorite for me is to buy a couple sacks, have a few friends over, beer on ice, some Jimmy Buffet on the Bluetooth speaker, and the grill going. We'd do one sack raw on the half shell on ice. The other sack we'd pop on the grill just until you see some water boiling out of the shells. We talk smack about our oyster shucking prowess, often half drunk.

I make a concoction of lemon, salt, and pepper that I find goes well with with oysters. I also do just Louisiana brand or Crystal hot sauce with some saltine crackers. I'm not a huge fan of horseradish but others are.

We have charbroiled oysters here so that's always a treat. I shy away from fried oysters myself since I don't like that bitterness when you bite into one.

Slurping on some big wet snot? Hell yeah!!! Big Grin

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I'm still scared a little. My uncle spent a week in the hospital they say due to raw oysters.

As a matter of fact, we at at Cobalt in orange beach this last Thursday night before a concert.

My meal consisted of 6 raw, 4 Rockefeller, 4 garlic and butter, 4 Parmesan oysters. It came with fresh baked French bread, horseradish and a strong cocktail sauce.

I still eat the raw ones like I learned as a kid. Drag through cocktail, put it on a cracker. Add a bit more horseradish and eat. Fantastic!
But I was nervous eating a July oyster the next day.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Oh heck yes. I am a big fan of Pacific Northwest oysters. Love it when I go to a place up there and they have an oyster menu with whatever varieties are fresh that day. Maybe just a drop of lemon juice but I like to taste the differences in each type of oyster.

I tried most of the PNW varieties when I was in Seattle, didn't care for their earthy taste at all......Gotta to be East coast or gulf oysters for me......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I don't eat boogers, so oysters are pretty much out. I've tried them raw, cooked, every way but open fire roasted (which I do intend to do with my sister sometime in Charleston), but have yet to actually enjoy them. The texture is pretty gross...

They are REALLY good fried!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post