SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about spoofed numbers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about spoofed numbers Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had one that called and hung up after the first ring over and over many times until I blocked it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I got a call last week and the id said “me”

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Lately, I have received voicemail messages without receiving a call. WTF?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
I got 2 calls from myself yesterday. It threw me off and I didn't answer.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:

They have that ability now, too. They can send a call straight to your voicemail without it ever ringing. Mad

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I do not answer any incoming call that I don't recognize the name or phone number displayed on my Caller ID. I get dozens of calls daily from "Someplace, TX" or "Anyplace, MD" or such like and I ignore them. Generally I don't know anyone in those places and haven't done any business there, either. I especially don't answer "NOT AVAILABLE", "UNAVAILABLE", "PRIVATE", "WIRELESS CALLER", "NOT ASSIGNED", or "TOLL FREE CALL". Folks who want to talk to me can use a phone that says who they are. Companies that need to contact me can use my e-mail (virtually every firm I do business with has my e-mail address, and I check it many times a day).

flashguy

My carrier (T-Mobile) tags most of these nuisance calls with "Spam Likely" and those of course I don't answer. I used to then block the number but I soon found out this was a total waste of time because these are not actually the numbers being called from, but rather just a tag marker on the call. As to not answering numbers w/o identifiable caller ID, I too made it a rule not to answer these, but I soon found out there are many legitimate callers that either don't have a caller ID or have ones that don't give much of a clue as to who they are. After missing several important calls I've modified this practice a bit and have become pretty adept at spotting junk calls. Every now and again one will slip through and I'd answer but quickly hang up.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We were at the CPA’s doing our taxes. My phone rang. Local number. When I answered the guy was irate and demanding that I stop calling him! I explained who was with me and suggested the number had been spoofed.

The military hospital that we get care at uses blocked numbers. I’ve learned to check voice mails they would change things.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
This.

Digitone

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Question for those smarter than I...

I've recently started getting TEXT messages from "advertisers" who of course aren't in my contact list. It's easy to block the numbers from where you get an actual call, but how do you block the number so that you don't get a text message? I did get one that had an associated number, so I surmise I'd have to create a contact for that number and then block it?? But what about texts that don't readily have a standard phone number?

I'm with AT&T and have an iPhone 6s.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
This.

Digitone

When I had a landline, I used the Digitone. It is a fantastic device for blocking, with tons of options. You can even block wildcards, such as an entire area code (800-xxx-xxxx), or exchange (928-231-xxxx).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I received one without a ring, also. Vm was in Chinese.

quote:

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:

I received one without a ring, also. Vm was in Chinese.
quote:
Probably calling to confirm your take-out order.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post