SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A positive, great company customer service post- audiophile related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A positive, great company customer service post- audiophile related Login/Join 
posted
Over a year ago I purchased a used Pass Labs amplifier x350.5 15yrs, if not a bit more, old

Few months ago I started having some issues, right channel drop out, high frequency’s basically disappeared, sporadic static through left channel

Always skeptical about repairs, I called, expecting: here is an RMA, we need… etc etc. it’s too old all that stuff

They have always been exceptionally receptive each time I’d called with inquiring questions prior to my Pass purchases. Typically Kent English (#3 in the company answers the phone quickly, never a “press 1 prompt to talk to….” Nelson Pass himself answered one of my calls)

My experience went like this

Me… I’m having some issues with my 350.5 (explained what was going on)

PL- ok, write down on a piece of paper all the issues and ship it back to us. You have original double box? (I did)

Week later after I tracked it, Kent had signed for it few days prior, I called

PL- yep. We got it. If you can hold I’ll check with the Tech, couple minutes later, he’s at lunch I’ll give you a call back

2hrs later I received the call back. It was already on the bench, explained what preliminary findings were

Long Labor Day weekend followed. I figured that slows everything down, left it alone and called yesterday.

Me- just checking in, you’d mentioned a recap due to age wanted to follow up

PL- oh it’s done, final diagnostics are being run today. Full explanation of what was wrong, what got fixed, what probably caused each issues. Lots of technical stuff well above my understanding. Total recap, lots of capacitors, resistors and stuff replaced, completely rebuilt to brand new factory specs. The Tech has been working at Pass since the model was originally released “he remembers stuff about it that Nelson has forgotten”

I started thinking to myself, oh geez this is going to cost close to what I paid for it initially. Received the invoice today… $830 shipped including new double boxes

Received a call back shortly after I paid the invoice verifying my address. I’m waiting on shipping info. Edit- shipping info received….. picked up by FedEx already

I’ve never had such a trouble free, easy, straight forward, no stress, repair(less than a month) of electronics as this. They quickly earned my respect and spot at top of my Awesome customer service list

Well done Pass Labs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a great customer service experience, with one exception. Although you are obviously pleased with the cost of repair, it seems to me that they should have given you an estimate in advance for you to approve.

I wish my ears were good enough to appreciate it. If yours still are, congratulations!

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
It sounds like a great customer service experience, with one exception. Although you are obviously pleased with the cost of repair, it seems to me that they should have given you an estimate in advance for you to approve.

I wish my ears were good enough to appreciate it. If yours still are, congratulations!

We’d already discussed, I said go ahead if you think it’s the right thing to do, as long as the cost wasn’t excessive. I was ready to pay over twice that. New model x350.8 are about $15k. Why I went old and used

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
A Pass amp will be my next upgrade. Still have to determine what my speaker upgrade path is.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8805 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
A Pass amp will be my next upgrade.

You won’t be disappointed. Reno Hi-fi was a great resource for factory refurb and demo units, I purchased my demo unit Pass xp-32 pre and xp-27 phono stage from him, but has now retired. Still waiting to hear who gets selected as that outlet in the future. I’d like to go to x260.8 mono blocks at some point

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

My thought as well. I like good customer service, but I would want a heads up before they proceeded with the repair. Otherwise, good on them. Smile

I had a good experience with NAD. My NAD integrated amp died one day. I dug up the paperwork and, sure enough, I was a couple of months past the warranty expiration. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I called them up. I talked to a rep, explained what happened and that I was out of warranty. He puts me on hold for a few minutes, then gets back on and says "Don't worry about it. Just bring it to a repair center (about 10 miles away). We're going to repair it at no charge". Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that Pass was still around. I always wanted an Aleph 3 to run my Metaphor 5 speakers.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Fantastic story about Nelson Pass' company and its customer service.
Unfortunately in the Audio world many companies have come and gone, or the name has been sold to a foreign company just for the prestige, and it no longer is what it was. Marantz comes to mind.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Really good to hear of positive stories like that, especially relating to audio equipment. My only tie to Pass Labs is a Pass-designed Adcom GFA-555 amplifier. It is a first gen, but it is still going strong.

I currently own McIntosh, and I’m hoping I will never have to ship it back for service or repair. I am hoping my local McIntosh dealer can handle anything that may pop up. Would also be nice to get the Pass-type treatment if the time ever comes.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a tube amp ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is this a tube amp ?

Solid state. Class A/B

posted Hide Post
Pass is an excellent company!

I have Benchmark electronics. I had an issue with a pre-amp; the technician helped me troubleshoot and discovered the pre-amp was fine!
One of my caregivers had turned off a speaker while I was in the hospital!

The tech spent at least an hour with me to resolve the situation.

I cannot speak highly enough about Benchmark!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post