SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    10-12 hour drive, split it or do it all in one day?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10-12 hour drive, split it or do it all in one day? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking at a trip that will take between 10 and 12 hours to drive. Normally I’d just do it in a day. However, just for discussion, what is your normal method? There is a need to be there by time as well with this. Of course it’s November so that changes things a bit but forecast looks great.

Nothing really to sight see, just trying to get to point A to B.

Question:
A 10-12 hour drive, one day or two?

Choices:
One day.
Split it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8368 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'd go for a straight shot, if you get tired or delayed, you can always opt to make a stop. Think of it as a long day at the office. I will say though that much depends on how comfortable your car seats are for a long sit, no sense in crippling yourself.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The difference between 10 and 12 is significant. A 10 hour drive is very doable. A 12 hour is much more of a drain for me. But still doable. Start early with a good nights rest before hand.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I go either way depending on cost of hotels, timing of event, and work schedule. If time allows I prefer to break it into two usually.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
That would be a one day trip for me, and I would prefer to drive it alone. I love driving alone--I can stop when I want, keep the car super cold, and listen to whatever audio book or music I want. Being considerate of other people just messes things up. Big Grin

Posts: 2694 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
12-13 hours is about the limit for me and I have done it numerous times. 8-10 hours is nothing.

So I say one day.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Sure you can do it in 'one day'.
Mr. Bladder controls more of my schedule than half a century past, and I've come to enjoy heading out by sun up & putting in by mid-afternoon. Gives a whole new perspective on my travels.

Weather/roads play a role of course. Relaxation & discovering new ways to improve my old hurryhurryhurry habits are more important now than absolutely having to make the 10-12 hour run.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, 12 hours windshield time was not a big deal. Older now, retired and have time so it is much more tolerable for me to split such length trips. Of course, we now have the Covid to be concerned about so maybe just staying in the car is more prudent.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I can’t see worth a crap in the dark. So in the winter, we usually split a 12 hour drive into 2 days. Summer, one day is easy enough.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Alone? I'd plan to do it all at once, assuming I was able.
If it's a new drive especially, new destinations seem to go much faster for me.

Oddly enough a 4.5 - 5 hour drive I've been doing several times a year, all my life, seems to fly by now. That kind of scares me. But my ability to drive REAL long stretches at night seems to have vanished.

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The difference between 10 and 12 is significant. A 10 hour drive is very doable. A 12 hour is much more of a drain for me. But still doable. Start early with a good nights rest before hand.

I voted one day, but this is something I've noticed as well. We made lots of trips of 5-8 hour duration, even close to 10.

However once we moved to TX we were making regular 12+ hour drives to a family cabin in AL. The first time we made that trip I just shook it off as just one of those drives. Subsequent times realized that this is a long time to be in a car with 1 or 2 very brief bathroom/fuel stops. Made even worse if the determination to just finish it up led to skipping a midday meal and just powering through only to end up with a headache and fatigue.

We adjusted to it, but did start out no later than 0600.

You know yourself better than us. I'd aim for straight through but with the cushion to stop along the way if you start feeling tired. Having someone to split the driving with makes a HUGE difference. If one of you would normally drive the whole way, don't; instead split it up.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12706 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
How old are you? I've driven between Northern NJ and Colorado 1 way 7 times. Total drive time is 28 hours or so. I would typically drive 16 hours day 1 (Denver to far side of Chicago), with 12 hours day 2 (Chicago to NJ). This was in my twenties. No way I could do that now at 47.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Id do that distance in one day and get the drive over and done with. The only way I would split it into a 2 day trip would be if I wanted to stop and visit family/friends or some point of interest. 12 hours, maybe 13 is about the limit of how many hours/miles I want to be on the road. When driving long distances I make a point to stop for gas every 200-250 miles or so to get out of the car and walk around, take a piss break, and grab something to eat. The most miles I've driven in one day was 1030 from PA to Memphis, TN, long day especially driving solo and i promised myself I wouldn't try that again.

Posts: 1724 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I only break a long drive up if I have my kids with me. If I am solo, I power through.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I drive to visit my daughter in Nebraska a couple of times a year. It's about a 10 hour drive. I get on the road early (by 6am) and get there in the afternoon.

Posts: 6577 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Split it.

I recently drove to AZ, could have done it straight in 12 but it was more fun to split it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If I was just trying to get there I would push it all in one day.

If there was something along the way I wanted to see or visit multi-days. Also if it took me through interesting areas I had never been I would be more likely to stop and explore. Again time would also determine what I did.

I've done long trips and gotten tired and just cat napped in the car.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16451 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I used to drive 12 - 13 hours at a stretch to go back and visit my family in NH - 650 miles one way

four stops - mostly coffee and then fill up with cheap gas at the border before going into Canada

Posts: 53844 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
One day and leave super early in the morning.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Do it in one day if you want to get there to do something or to just have a day to relax and recover. That's my usual method, leaving at 5 to 6 AM depending on how traffic is expected to be at any cities along the way when I'll be passing through. A second driver makes this option a lot more attractive, too.

Do it over two days if there's something you might enjoy doing at or near the break point.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post