SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    10-12 hour drive, split it or do it all in one day?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10-12 hour drive, split it or do it all in one day? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've done Houston TX to Tehachapi CA 3 times. Roughly 16-1700 miles one-way.

We've done it straight through each time.
10 years ago, when we were [obviously] younger, I drove it all both ways the first 2 times.
The last time, was about 3 years ago & I drove Houston-Phoenix (15-16 hrs) & swapped to my wife driving to LA, then I drove LA-Tehachapi (2-3 hrs)

Type of vehicle would play a large part in it.
The first 2 times we drove to CA, we were in a 2007 Mercedes S550 & even it started getting uncomfortable after 15 or so hours.

We've done Houston to Albuquerque a couple times & had no issue in our Flex nor in my former F150 (towing a Civic on a car dolly).

Our family ranch is about 7 hours door to door, Houston to the Mex border about an hour south of Laredo. No issue making that drive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If it is purely Point "A" to Point "B" with no reason to stop along the way, that would be a definite one and done for me.

When I was in the Marines, I would leave El Toro CA for Seattle on leave. Head out at 1800 to let LA traffic clear, and pass through the ugly boring stretch between LA and Sacramento in the dark.

I would hit northern CA in the morning and pull into Seattle around 1400, just shy of 1200 miles in 20 hours. Would usually stop for a 1-2 hour nap somewhere along the way at a rest area. I had my regular flight plan, no extra stops. Stop for gas, stretch my legs, hit the head, and grab a snack all at the same place right off the freeway then back on the road for the next leg. Stops were literally less than 15 minutes

I had limited leave and I didn't want to waste any more time then needed on the road.

Opposite on the way back. Head out around 0600 to be ahead of the Seattle rush and hit Portland after their morning rush. Hit Sacramento after their evening rush, then through the wastelands in the dark, LA around midnight and home about 0200. Again, a short nap or two on the way and 20 hours start to finish.

Best time was 18 hours with no naps, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
drove from RVA to Camp Perry a few times,
pit stop in Cville to pick up my shooting partner (once I stayed at his place the night prior)

just about a 10hr drive , with stops,

we switched drivers ever so often (pee breaks and tank fill breaks, )

brother and I did the same on a trip to Kokomo to pick up a cannon,

only stopped when needed, switched up once in a while,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent most my adult life looking out the windshield of a Crown Vic. 12 hours is very do-able for me.
If I have a drive like that, I leave at 0400 and drive until AM rush hour, then stop for breakfast. Goal is reach the destination before PM rush hour gets too bad.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Probably one day, but nine hours is the longest I've had to do in the past few years, so I don't know if my endurance is what it was.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to drive from here in WNY to Florida in one stretch, but that was 40 years ago. Now my limit is to a high school friends house in NC.

Have a few drinks and memories with him and his wife, good nights sleep and back on the road early. I too, have trouble driving at night due to sight.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
One day and leave super early in the morning.

Easier to drive in the dark if your eyes are fresh so plan it so you reach your destination just as the sun goes down.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Really depends on a couple of factors not mentioned...
First how old are you? When I was in grad school I drove from Galveston TX to Roanoke VA, a 24 hour drive nonstop. Now in my 60’s, 7 hours is all I want to do but could go to maybe 9 or so. This summer on our trip to Alaska and back I tried to keep it to about 6 hours or so.

Next what kind of road are you driving on? Mostly highway is much easier than driving through metro NYC on a Friday afternoon..

What about your vehicle? Is it comfortable or do you have to get out every few hours to stretch?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Davenport Iowa to Atlanta, Ga is 792 miles, they say, 12 hour drive.

No way ,I by myself am doing that w/o 2 hours and 15 minutes for breakfast lunch and supper and a pit stop.

Making it 14 hours now. Ain't gonna happen,

Now with a co-pilot to snack me, drink me and chat and share the driving , it's doable in one fell swoop.

But I'd still prefer a two day, if there is a nice place to stay,in between.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54679 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I drive from SoCal to NW Montana, or the reverse, (1,274 miles) every 6 weeks. Prior to Covid, I might stop overnight or might go for it. Now with Covid, I'm not stopping and drive straight through - about 17 or 18 hours of windshield time. Just did it last Friday night. I much prefer to drive in the dark, I left SoCal at 11 am and arrived in MT at 5am. I'm 69

For a 12 hour run, I say for it.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At one time 10 or even 12 hours wouldn’t have fazed me. The longest single stretch I ever drove was 18 hours. Now, however, a nerve in my butt starts to kill me after a couple of hours.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I recently drove 1,100 miles in a day. That was a long day but put 2 Monsters under my belt, it was doable. I listen to audiobooks or Spotify when 8 drive and visit with my wife - when she’s awake. Normally we try to keep trips under 600 miles a day. I’m 70.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I voted split but have driven those hours straight through more often than not. Longest drive was many years ago and almost 24hrs. Never again. I was so road weary, my whole body was vibrating when I laid down and so wound up with coffee, I couldn't fall asleep effortlessly even after being up and driving almost 24hrs. Closed my eyes and all I saw was road lines rolling by.

These days I'd split for several reasons. 1) No need to be there by a certain time. 2) I'm retired and don't travel often any more. Unfettered stops with a different scenery at night are welcome. 3) I'd rather reach the destination earlier in the day and refreshed rather than getting there later in the day and road weary.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
12 hours per day is about my limit while traveling. This year my boys and I drove to OK (17 hours) and split it up over 2 days.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on who is with you and what the objective is. With the fam I do 10 hours and thats about the limit. Myself or with friends 12 is fine. I do a few two day drives annualy and usually cap it at about 10 hrs per leg. I like driving audiobooks and my truck seats though.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will poinnt out if you plan on 10 and something happens (traffic, roadblocked, flat tire) you have a 12 hour day. If you do that with a 12 hr plan thats a sucky drive.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to drive 10-12 hours at a pop no problem.
Now I split it up
For some reason, I always feel like crap the next day.

It seems for the last few years it is never 10hours, it is always longer due to accidents, traffic, weather etc..

I will drive about eight pick a place to stop where I can shop, sight see etc.. Then I will eat at a nice restaurant, relax, hit the gym then get a good nights sleep.

Then get up the next morning, hit the gym etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my younger days I would have driven straight through with minimal stops. No way now.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve traveled Sacramento to Provo UT about 50 times. 675 miles. Back in the 70s in a VW van cranking out 55 mph behind a big rig for 15 hours. Nowadays it under 10 hours and 83 mph.

With the Covd, I couldn’t fly. I drove to and from Hobbs NM. On the return , Roswell to Bakersfield-1000 miles in 13.25 hours. Don’t recommend

P229

Posts: 3842 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rather take the bus. It is quite interesting if you wish to meet strange people. The days of driving from Chicago to NOLA nonstop except for gas are long gone.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post