SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advise on buying a 2019 Corvette
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on buying a 2019 Corvette Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Schmelby, what do you say to a fellow Forum member who appeared to just be shopping for a fun car, reward for a life well-lived, then you find out he really just wants to enjoy the medically shortened years left. Keep a positive attitude, you appear to have enough time that improved health is a possibility, meanwhile, get a Vette, get involved with a Corvette club or (as mentioned) Cars and Coffee. Come out this way and see Devil’s Tower, drive Spearfish and Vanocker Canyons in the Black Hills, see the Little Bighorn, hell…maybe Yellowstone and the Tetons during one of the shoulder seasons. We’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. If a medical turnaround isn’t in the cards, maybe good health until the end is enough to ask for. God Bless you.
Tom

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm dying, I've tried to pin down my Doc to tell me how long I have, he won't say.
My best Google search says maybe 5-8 years. Been retired for two and a half years

Schmelby,
I'm sorry to hear this. We are all dying, most just don't know it or even try to put a time frame on it.

I would just reiterate what 4MUL8R said:
quote:
Be present, be active, and be true to yourself. God's blessings and care be yours today and all your tomorrows.

Also, 4MUL8R makes great points on cash/finance options. If that money is currently working for you vs. if it's just sitting.

It sounds like you might really enjoy the car for a few years. Go for it!
But... when you get to the point where you no longer enjoy it, don't just let it sit. Sell it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24638 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Thanks for catching my early morning mistake.

Early for me as well. It sounded so good, it took 10 minutes for it to dawn on me you have to pay the rest of the loan off. For the first 5 minutes, I was all set to hit the dealership first thing this morning. Big Grin

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned Corvettes continuously for 59 years from the model years of 1958 to the current one which is a 2007. I have enjoyed them very much and hope to continue to enjoy them. I would strongly urge you to drive any you are sincerely interested in to make sure you can get in and out of it and that you enjoy driving it. I do know several people who find them hard to get in and out of and have quit owning them for that reason. Keep us posted on what happens.

Posts: 1505 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Schmelby, sorry to hear about your health, and if getting a Corvette is what you desire then for all means go get it, I've had two, loved driving them both.

The 2019 does command a bit more desirability because it's the last of the C7 body, and has all of the upgrades and development done, they are IMO one of the better looking Corvettes in the past 40 years.

Test drive it before you buy if everything fits you will enjoy, it should hold it's value very well being the last of the C7 Corvettes.

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the Kidney Doctor. I'm pleasantly surprised.
All my bloodworks are back in the normal range, except he wants wants me to have more Potassium.
Said my Kidney function is at 80-85 percent. I guess quitting drinking can actually help.
They told me a year and a half ago I was pretty much done for. I'm in the best mood in two years.
You all will have to read my inane posts for a while longer.
Thanks Valkyrie for the offer, I want a C8 or C2. HRK said a 19 is a C7, the papers the chevy dealer gave me
says a 19 but it's definitely a C8 body? I'm going to pull the trigger but I think I'll get one that's only
two years old and make sure it's a Grand Sport. I'm not going to be in a hurry, make sure I get a good deal.
I'll put my oldest son on it, he lives for that.
From the bottom of my heart I thank everyone who replied.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Back in 2014, doctors told my mother in law she would have 6-18 months to live.

I just had to endure her last week Roll Eyes

The doctors can be wrong and probably more often that we are led to believe. Live your life and enjoy it.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want a C8 or C2. HRK said a 19 is a C7, the papers the chevy dealer gave me
says a 19 but it's definitely a C8 body?

Link 2019 vs 2020 Article

2019 C7

2020 C8

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Could be a mistake on the paperwork. What’s under the hood? If it’s an engine, it’s a C7. If it’s a front trunk, aka frunk, it’s a C8.

If it’s a C8, forget what I said about the transmission and forget what people said about the price.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
5 years old and old 13k miles ? Neighbor finally gave up on their 19 convertible after had been sideswiped hard. A full year in body shop and then they said come get it and still had electrical issues so back it went for another few weeks. Delay blamed on everything from GM parts to supply chain etc. so they Finally fixed it and neighbor traded it to dealer for a sedan for 35k in value. Probly could have squeezed a few more in private sale but they were soured and wanted out. This was within the last month.

somebody on a corvette forum i go to just bought one that had been sideswiped, so happy he got it so cheap!! maybe this one!!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pleasantly surprised.

Very glad to hear this. I bought my first Corvette just last year. Good luck with your search!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://caredge.com/sell-my-car

Looks like around $41000. Bit I didn't know all the options to input.

Google shows my wife's lifespan to be 6 months in 2019. She is still here. Doc's gave no estimate.
Best of luck to you. Getting a life shortening estimate changes much and it is hard to focus on the fact that no one is promised a tomorrow but we all expect one

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the best medical news of my life today.
Now I have two brothers and a son telling me I'm an idiot for wanting to buy a Vette.
I can't win. Now I'm depressed again. Piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm gonna start drinking again.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
People who offer guidance against the heart's desire of an elder may not have the perspective you need.

I think it is very important to share two things with family members in this situation. WHAT and HOW. Allow me to write as if I might speak to brothers or son...

WHAT:
Hey, son, you know things have been tough for me lately. Life seems to be passing me by. I'm scared. I'm woried. And, I'm fighting. What I so desparately need is to feel alive, to feel vital, to feel emotion and joy.

HOW:
So, son, your dad is going to do something crazy. I'm going to look for a vehicle that I can drive as fast as I want to go, that looks like a million dollars, and that every red-blooded American would like to own. I'm going to spend a little money on a special vehicle -- a red Corvette. Yes, a state trooper's favorite target. I've found enjoyment in searching for just the right one, and I am finding a recent generation to be both exciting and affordable. I thank you in advance for understanding, and I would love for you to join me in this quest.

{son} But Dad, Corvettes are...you are...there are more important things...(any number of objections raised).

Son, I'm not asking for your advice, or your agreement, or your approval. What I want has high value to me, and how I want to accomplish this goal means I'll be doing something really unusual. But, it is right for me, it is right for us, and it is vital that I make this move now. Just think of the two of us, heading out for a Chick-fil-A breakfast before taking a cruise down the curviest roads we can find. We'll have fun dropping the top, speeding around the country roads, and we'll find a place to have lunch out there in the country. I may even let you drive this hot rod.

Be as honest as required. Speak the truth in love. Avoid battles over your judgment. Act decisively. And enjoy this time of your life. It's going to be great!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
People who offer guidance against the heart's desire of an elder may not have the perspective you need.

I wouldn't have the what or how conversation now, (not saying it's not a good way to handle it up front), but they made their feelings clear, duly noted, filed, thank you very little.

Just go do whatever you wanted to do, sick or healthy, old or young, retired, single, have the money, you are an adult and it's your money if that's what you want have at it.

And with all the negative comments from them, be sure to never loan out the keys LOL.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I got the best medical news of my life today.
Now I have two brothers and a son telling me I'm an idiot for wanting to buy a Vette.
I can't win. Now I'm depressed again. Piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'm gonna start drinking again.

If not drinking has helped your kidneys, best to stay off it.

As for buying the Vette, if the purchase price is a big stretch, perhaps lower your budget a bit to find a cream puff.

I too was going to get a sports car closer to retirement and even budgeted it for purchase at 59. After talking with my financial planner, he determined that I was in the position to purchase one now (albeit at a much lower price point).

I've had my 2001 911 for over a year now and it brings more smiles per mile that I could have imagined. Buying a new one in 7 or 8 years seems silly now. I'm enjoying it now in my early 50s and I'm paying for it with my part time, second job. On a five year loan, I've already paid off about half of. Should have it paid off by end of year three.

I say go for it.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
4MUL8R has the right idea, and HRK simplified it. They both give good advice.

Schmelby, you have worked hard and saved, for your entire life. It's time for you to do something for yourself!

My preference would have been a Porsche, but a Corvette is good, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want it then go buy it. Just get it inspected first and don't overpay. You can always sell it.
I don't know about vettes but utube car channel are seeing lots of automotive toys being sold at auction due to repo's
If you think it will make you happy then go for it. I would. But the happiness must be provided by the car and driving. Not by the imagined family bonding that may never take place.
Now devils advocate
I am you age and in central Indiana. Why I would not buy a vette
Roads in poor condition, overcrowded, bad drivers. I don't want to put a 50k (which is new car average) at risk. And I would have to drive it at least 60 miles to find any decent roads-none twisty- to enjoy it. Add in a few months of snow and bad weather.
My solution would have to be to first - move, and second buy the vette. Your environment may be different. Same for a motorcycle.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

Definitely not trying to get into family stuff, but I will say this for whatever it's worth.

People who are worried about your money say things to protect your money.

People who want you to be happy don't really give a damn about the money.

Posts: 10811 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Back in 2014, doctors told my mother in law she would have 6-18 months to live.

I just had to endure her last week Roll Eyes

The doctors can be wrong and probably more often that we are led to believe. Live your life and enjoy it.

I'm sorry to hear that. My mother broke her leg at 95, when she came out from the anesthesia she was gone.
Her last three years was bedridden and total dementia. The last time I went to Florida to visit, I fed her dinner
and she didn't know who I was. Heartbreaking.