SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advise on buying a 2019 Corvette
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on buying a 2019 Corvette Login/Join 
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
If it's a Grandsport buy it. If not, I wouldn't even look at it to be honest. $60k will buy you a Grandsport all day long and it is so much nicer.

The Z06 is overkill and WILL get you a ticket at some point. The Grandsport's Suspension and wider stance is what a Corvette is all about. I had a 2012 Centennial Edition Grandsport for many years. GREAT CAR! Zero issues the entire time I had it. Sold it with $60k miles on it and it looked like it had 6k on it. Corvettes are the best sports car you can buy for under $100k.

Here is a pic of mine

https://www.imghost.net/AF7K5Lc7Z9zA18O

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 629 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Thanks, I have the vin number, I'll do the carfax. The last four or five cars I've bought
were from my Father or my Boss.

you don't have to be a member to run the vin:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnO:
Would go to "bring a trailer" and look at comps.

These cars depreciate pretty hard. The C7 esp. and unless it's a Z06 it's not that fast.

They are built for mid-life-crisis guys and there is an old saying:

Happiest day is the day you get it and the second happiest is the day you sell it.

Only heard that saying used about boats?

Posts: 481 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
DO NOT BUT THE CAR WITHOUT TAKING IT FOR A GOOD, LONG TEST DRIVE!

GM has a problem with their automatic transmissions. You won’t be able to tell if the car has the problem until the transmission is warmed up and you have to be on the highway doing 60mph+. If it has the problem, you’ll feel a vibration like the tires are out of balance or like you are running over rumble strips on the edge of the road. It will come and go. On my dad’s 2019, it would vibrate for about 5 seconds, stop for 10, and repeat. It got worse if you lightly accelerated and went away if you let off the throttle. Every time the vibration happened, the tachometer would drop 150-200 rpm. Search “A8 shudder”, here’s a link to one of the TSBs about it: Link. Get an extended warranty.

The first thing they’ll do is a triple transmission flush with new, special fluid. We’ve put 500 miles on my dad’s C7 and the vibration seems to be gone. If that didn’t work, the torque converter would be replaced. The GM service guy warned me there were 55 cars ahead of us waiting for that.

My dad is 85 and drives it to church and his cancer treatments 90 miles away in Tampa. You’ll have no trouble driving the car; it’s an easy car to drive. However, don’t stomp on it going into a turn.

I’d look at the date code on the tires. If they are original, they are due for replacement and not inexpensive to replace, so I’d definitely use that to bargain.

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
This might be another piece to the puzzle. I always like to know what private party book value is for a used car. This will give you an idea of what the car is actually worth if you had to sell it.

Without knowing the actual model/options, a 2019 Corvette Stingray 2LT with ~13k miles, in excellent condition, at 60k OTD seems high.

https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/...ade&vehicleid=434975

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure your mechanic has the adapters to raise it safely on a two post lift. Sounds like a wonderful car, if you got the $ I think you should treat yourself. One more thing, the cashier's check is a negative to them, they make money off the financing.

Posts: 456 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnO:

Happiest day is the day you get it and the second happiest is the day you sell it.

Only heard that saying used about boats?

This is a boat quote, for sure, but I heard it first from a vette guy.

Previous generation Vette's seem to "show their age" quicker than most, and as a result depreciate a little faster than most.

All just my humble opinion

Posts: 366 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I’ve never had either so can’t speak to it.

Schmelby, if you haven’t treated yourself before and after checking it out you still like it, I say absolutely do it. Although I believe we’re gonna need some pics!

Posts: 481 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stealerships will often initially list at a higher price on the chance to see if anyone bites.

Get the maintenance records directly from the service department, in case they are not in synch with CarFax.

As a negotiating strategy, in addition to offering a lower price, tell them that you would like the purchase the vehicle as CPO, at no extra cost to you.

If all of the scheduled maintenance has been performed, the car not having issues and being driven responsibly (i.e., not auto-x’d or tracked), I would think that there would be minimal risk to the dealer to do this.

Be prepared to walk away if it’s not the right deal for you!

Good luck!

Posts: 3588 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are the oil and transmission fluid you'll need to use. Get it all on Amazon. 59k is high,
You walk away and they'll probably call you the next day.

Posts: 3648 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
Make sure your mechanic has the adapters to raise it safely on a two post lift. Sounds like a wonderful car, if you got the $ I think you should treat yourself. One more thing, the cashier's check is a negative to them, they make money off the financing.

On ANY vehicle, finance it and then pay it off when you get home.

Posts: 8724 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
DO NOT BUT THE CAR WITHOUT TAKING IT FOR A GOOD, LONG TEST DRIVE!

GM has a problem with their automatic transmissions. You won’t be able to tell if the car has the problem until the transmission is warmed up and you have to be on the highway doing 60mph+. If it has the problem, you’ll feel a vibration like the tires are out of balance or like you are running over rumble strips on the edge of the road. It will come and go. On my dad’s 2019, it would vibrate for about 5 seconds, stop for 10, and repeat. It got worse if you lightly accelerated and went away if you let off the throttle. Every time the vibration happened, the tachometer would drop 150-200 rpm. Search “A8 shudder”, here’s a link to one of the TSBs about it: Link. Get an extended warranty.

The first thing they’ll do is a triple transmission flush with new, special fluid. We’ve put 500 miles on my dad’s C7 and the vibration seems to be gone. If that didn’t work, the torque converter would be replaced. The GM service guy warned me there were 55 cars ahead of us waiting for that.

My dad is 85 and drives it to church and his cancer treatments 90 miles away in Tampa. You’ll have no trouble driving the car; it’s an easy car to drive. However, don’t stomp on it going into a turn.

I’d look at the date code on the tires. If they are original, they are due for replacement and not inexpensive to replace, so I’d definitely use that to bargain.

my 2014 Z51

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My advice is shop around for some long tube headers and exhaust cut outs when you can. Wink

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for so many replies. I texted my 46 year old son who is a CPA,
He went into full search mode and said I shouldn't pay more than 50. He paid 50 grand
for his Escalade but he has a wife and my two young grandsons.
I'm dying, I've tried to pin down my Doc to tell me how long I have, he won't say.
My best Google search says maybe 5-8 years. Been retired for two and a half years
and haven't touched my retirement accounts. Made 18 percent with Vanguard last year,
so what the hell, that's more than half the price of the car.
I'll take Trappers advice on the trans, I've paid cash for my cars for the last 30 years,
Maybe I should finance, leave my money in Vanguard. I ramble on, thanks again.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 years old and old 13k miles ? Neighbor finally gave up on their 19 convertible after had been sideswiped hard. A full year in body shop and then they said come get it and still had electrical issues so back it went for another few weeks. Delay blamed on everything from GM parts to supply chain etc. so they Finally fixed it and neighbor traded it to dealer for a sedan for 35k in value. Probly could have squeezed a few more in private sale but they were soured and wanted out. This was within the last month.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mr. Schmelby, thank you for sharing your health struggle. May God's love for you be evident in the upcoming years.

With purchases like these, I have decided to think about the cost differently. Let's say you determined the car is mechanically OK, and you really like it. I mean, really like it. Color, options, etc. Now, for $60K, cost is high, so let's work with a cost of $50K. Consider only the lost financial value over the next few years. Say that you buy it, drive it for three years, and sell it for $40K. In three years, you have "spent" $10K for the privilege. That's $278 per month. Cheap enjoyment!

Then, what would a loan payment be, compared to the return on investments? Your funds will likely appreciate to more than cover a loan payment.

At 7%, a loan of $40K and a downpayment of $10K, with a term of 72 months, that payment would be $733. In 36 months, you would spend only $26,388. Selling for $40K, you return your $10K downpayment, and have a paper gain of nearly $4K.

The Corvette costs you nothing, aside from loan paperwork, insurance, etc. Loans are more paperwork than we may think they are worth, when assets exist, but using other people's money can be useful.

Most importantly, you have that amazing sports car for a few years. They are challenging to get in (low seats), get out (leg strength), drive over curbs (remember to go diagonally), etc. A Corvette may not be the right car for your enjoyment goals. But, there are other stellar performers that would be. For example, BMW M-series X5 would be amazing, with massive horsepower and full size interior.

The Corvette does have a vibrant social community at Cars & Coffee and similar, which may help you enjoy life.

Be present, be active, and be true to yourself. God's blessings and care be yours today and all your tomorrows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Im looking to sell my 2017 Grandsport number 111 collectors/ Heritage edition 3lt with 10400 miles. Mint, Watkins Glenn gray with baby blue interior. Garaged. I’m the second owner. Put about 2000 miles on her. A women owned it before me. She babied it. Car has everything. Only performance upgrade is a Green filter element. Have extended wheel well protective covers, and brake intake covers. Looking for 65k$. PM mee and ill send you pictures

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons my dad got the convertible is because with the top down he doesn’t bang his head flopping into the seat.

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
At 7%, a loan of $40K and a downpayment of $10K, with a term of 72 months, that payment would be $733. In 36 months, you would spend only $26,388. Selling for $40K, you return your $10K downpayment, and have a paper gain of nearly $4K.

The Corvette costs you nothing, aside from loan paperwork, insurance, etc. Loans are more paperwork than we may think they are worth, when assets exist, but using other people's money can be useful.

I’m not following you. First, I’m coming up with a $682 a month payment. Second, at the end of three years, you still owe $22,000.

-10,000 down payment
-24,552 36 payments
-22,000 remainder of loan
+40,000 selling price
———————-
-16,552 what it cost to own for 3 years
========

Assuming he makes 7% on his investments, it will have cost the same $10,000 as if he had paid cash. Over 7%, it costs less. Under 7%, it costs more. And, if the market takes a 20% dive and he has to sell stock to make the payments…

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m not following you. First, I’m coming up with a $682 a month payment. Second, at the end of three years, you still owe $22,000.

-10,000 down payment
-24,552 36 payments
-22,000 remainder of loan

+40,000 selling price
———————-
-16,552 what it cost to own for 3 years
========

Thanks for catching my early morning mistake.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you 4MUL8R. You put a lot of thought into that for me.
I never knew how to invest money, just save it. ten percent into 401k
until I paid my house off at 49 years old, then I started saving 35 percent.
Gave my three sons 20 thousand apiece for downpayments on first home.
Gave the ex wife a six figure check a few years ago and I still have a half million saved.
Not bad for a stupid blue collar truck driver! Gave blood Saturday morning, leaving now
to hear what bad news the kidney doctor is going to tell me. Thanks again.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post