SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trend - Crimes camouflaged as internet stunts OR pranks out of control
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trend - Crimes camouflaged as internet stunts OR pranks out of control Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
We are all aware we live in a world filled with cameras, and for years many took to the streets to film content. Alas, criminals have made a new twist on the fun and funny videos and have been outright committing crimes... on video.

I'm not talking about videos like the guy who puts a bucket on someone's head at Home Depot then runs away (which is assault) but these are people committing actual crimes, then getting incredulous when challenged.

This guy messed with the wrong person and ended up getting snagged by the US Marshals while wanted by NYPD for similar incidents.

Here are some pranks just out of control.

I don't see how stealing luggage at an airport is funny. He makes a false statement about the citizen being a serial killer. The 'victim' was taken into custody due to these 'pranksters'.

I ask you those that travel. Say you've had one of those days. You know. You get up at 0330 to arrive at the airport at 0430 to catch that 0600 flight, which is of course delayed until 0900 which means you missed your connection. All of your plans are now totally screwed. Then you lost your prime seat and end up next to the drunk guy and the one who opens the roasted pepper and onion sandwich as soon as you level off. You arrive at your connection point and find out you've been bumped an have to do an overnight. You go to get your bag and this happens..... How would you react?

I'm curious as to how an airport, a high security area, can allow pranksters like this to operate on their property.

Interesting video here, at 0530 yuckle futz threatens to stab his prank victims and pulls a knife (text appears in the video it's a prop). As far as I know, in most states if you threaten to shoot or stab someone and pull a prop that is still a crime. In this case I'd say threatening to cut their face open or stab them in the face is a real threat. Hence why NYPD is after him I'll guess. Funny how YouTube has no issues with people broadcasting crimes they've committed but are very eager to censor any conservative voices.

Big question here... does a citizen, going about their day, minding their own business, have the right to not be harassed on video so someone can make money on their reaction?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big question here... does a citizen, going about their day, minding their own business, have the right to not be harassed on video so someone can make money on their reaction?

My understanding is if you are in a public area, filming is permitted, IE you can't stop someone with an iPhone from Filming you walking down a street.

However if a movie crew is in the area generally they post they are filming so there must be some precedent regarding filming for monetary gain.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So these "pranks" are happening at airports, any correlation with the fact that the targeted in that situation are precluded from having the means to defend themselves or their property? Another example of "secure zones" turning out to be the exact opposite.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These guys need an ass-beating. Chris Rock is a funny guy, Dave Chappelle is a funny guy, these guys aren't smart enough to be funny, clever or, witty. There's nothing remotely amusing about what these guys are filming, if anything it's cruel and typical bully behavior.

Antagonizing people going about their day and then attempting to get aggressive and violent with them when the 'victim' reacts, especially if that person is white, which quickly turns into a racial confrontation....who is it again that needs racial sensitivity & tolerance training?

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
These guys need an ass-beating.
A good old fashioned Southern Tuneup

"Don't you know who I am?"

Never heard of you

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That seems to be a thread with these morons. They post 10-15 videos of themselves doing stupid things and for some reason believe they are as recognizable as Sean Connery, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, or Tom Brady.

Somehow they and these silly influencer's feel having a few hundred thousand followers (likely mostly kids) makes them famous and entitled to do whatever they want.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Most of the “victims” are in on it. It’s all a staged production.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

...until it's not

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
get a f'ing job you low iq losers

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Be nice to see someone with a defensive handgun shooting this asshole to death.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
These guys need an ass-beating.

The guy in the first video who grabs the shirt, I'd take the fucker down to the ground HARD. I like the victim's initial response of trying to get away, then grabbing the guy's hair. But I (would like to think I) would have dropped the suitcase and taken the perp down. You know everything is on multiple video recordings in an airport. No kidding probably at least 5 different camera angles recorded that event simultaneously.

Being harassed by being photographed or video recorded in a public place is legal until it becomes more than just filming. The accomplice who filmed the perp was not, as far as I could tell, obstructing or assaulting the victim. (The victim may have a reasonable argument that he felt threatened by the filming perp's proximity).

After the ass beating, these perps need to be criminally charged and civilly sued to the maximum extent possible.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A few comments

You can usually tell the difference between a casual bystander who sees something and decides to record it, and a person who is part of the 'event' and is documenting it. Given that the camera operator is in fact in on it, that raises the stakes a bit in my mind.

Why didn't he drop the suitcase? (I've heard this from others I shared this video with as well). A few things come to mind about that question. The suitcase is what they want, releasing it sacrifices custody and control over that property, anyone including an unseen accomplice could grab it and be gone. Releasing it commits you to a full on altercation with the suspect, if an officer walks up and a business dressed person is holding it away and grappling one handed with a guy while another is recording, I'm sure some assumptions will be made. Finally, if you drop the suitcase and go full on with the suspect, the camera man could grab it, bash you in the head until you let go of his buddy and both run off with your property.

We see this a lot in these videos, one from the group picks an altercation and if the victim fights back a group come out of the woodwork and pile on kicking and punching.This guy seems to be opting for a stalemate until help could arrive.

The problem in these scenarios is you have no idea what you're dealing with or what just came into your life. In this age of these flash mob beatings and store invasions and gang (or wanna be gang) initiations by assaulting innocent people while being recorded makes these situations difficult to filter as prank or a real threat.

The 'victim' in the luggage scene we've been talking about was probably ok until he went after the camera operator. Had he been able to take a step back and a breath and realize all the evidence he needed was on the phone and let the officers handle it video boy may have ended up in cuffs.

343 - Never Forget

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

We see this a lot in these videos, one from the group picks an altercation and if the victim fights back a group come out of the woodwork and pile on kicking and punching.This guy seems to be opting for a stalemate until help could arrive.

Ultimately I can't argue with the victim's success. What he did worked.

If I get provoked into an altercation, I am going scorched earth. My first intention is to avoid, and then to evade. But once someone is holding onto me and not letting go, I am going to inflict as much pain and damage as I can until they completely surrender. If they have accomplices that jump me, so be it, at least I will hopefully have taught one of them that there is a price to pay.

Note that possessing a concealed weapon in the Salt Lake City airport is fully legal. Airports are under city or state control usually, and so there is no federal prohibition against carrying concealed in the public areas outside of the TSA secured area. It is up to local and state laws. SLC falsely placards the airport as No-Guns with an out of date state law referenced. Though I rarely air travel with a firearm, when I do I immediately go to the men's room and arm up. If I check a suitcase, there's an easily retrieved knife in it which I can pocket as soon as I get my bag from the carousel.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Sorry, I don't see it in this instance, not even a hint of it. I'm certain it's true in other instances, but these guys are accosting people who are just minding their own business.

The US Marshalls wouldn't be hunting down this asshole if it was staged. You, of all people, know this.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post