SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The word field is now racist
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The word field is now racist Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...s-racist/ar-AA16b4oQ

The University of Southern California's School of Social Work sent a letter declaring it would no longer use the word "field" when referring to one's area of expertise. Instead, it is replacing it with the word "practicum." "Why would such a reputable school make such a silly, nonsensical change? Because of slavery, of course. The change was motivated by an adherence to the radical orthodoxy of "anti-racist" methodology".

I guess there won't be any more field goals.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
practium, sounds awfully close to Rectum, just sayin...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
The written word is an example of "white supremacy" and must be purged from our culture. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Racist to pretentious.

It would appear that the USC School of Social Work should have conferred with the USC School of English. Practicum is more related to a course of study.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
1. "Practicum" (a word of which I'd wager the vast majority of the English-speaking population has never heard or seen in their lives) does not mean the same thing as "field" in this context.

2. It's Latin. The Roman economy was highly-dependent upon slavery. So, one might reasonably argue, using Latin is racist. Just sayin'.

3. This is just stupid.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Wait!

What?!?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of idiots with nothing better to do. Change language because Feelings might be hurt....... a fate worse than death

we are doomed

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Wait!

What?!?

TRANSLATION

Your Our cows white supremacist methane emitting climate killers are now in a field practicum of grass photosynthesizing sentient sacrifices.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want their nickname changed. TROJANS upsets me.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

The University of Southern California's School..

For a long time certain people weren't allowed to go to school, let alone university.

So aren't those words and/or institutions even more racist? Need to be rid of them obviously.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I worked in a call center where we used to hear “he’s out working in the field” daily when we would call provided work numbers.

We used to joke about that term being canceled and deemed racist but then again we also joked about them canceling aunt Jemima and uncle Ben.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I served our country so people would have the right/privilege to think, talk and act as as they see fit, no matter how fucked up they are. BUT…I’ll be goddamn if any of these twinkle-toed cocksuckers is going to preach or dictate to me how to think or what words to use when communicating or speaking to others. Fuck ‘em!!!

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
I’m in the “I’ll talk the way I damn we’ll please” camp as well. Anyone hat demands I do differently is likely to hear “fuck off” as the last 2 words I ever speak to them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know USC has had a number of high-profile incidents involving unethical and illegal activities with professors and students. One discussion I've come across is, the house-cleaning the university did, has resulted in Far Left admins and professors now occupying these positions and pushing their ideology, and stupidity like this is a result.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Can't say I'm surprised. This is the same university that suspended a professor, b/c when he was teaching Chinese, students complained that a common Chinese word he was using (nà ge or neì ge) sounded like the dreaded n-word.

https://dailytrojan.com/2020/0...hould-be-reinstated/

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I bet a lot of this nonsense comes from people who just want their 15 minutes of fame.

Some soy boy 'intellectual' with no REAL accomplishments in his/her field (OMG I USED GENDERED PRONOUNS) will come up with this crap as a way to get his name in the papers/social media. Then, he can brag the rest of his life how he 'made a difference.'

They may not even truly believe what they say. It's just crap to get their name mentioned at the snobby parties they all go to.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why do you guys even take this shit seriously?
The more you give it attention - the more it fuels the woke fire.
They NEVER respond the to the counter-complaint that this is stupid, condescending and racist against "whitey".
Ignore this behavior - doubtful it will go away but at least you aren't letting them get to you.
.02 Razz

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I earned a MSIE degree from USC, and this action by that school really disgusts me. No more alumni contributions from me!

I'm also in the camp that will speak as I please and use the words I please. If anyone objects, so be it. There is no "right to not be offended".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Why do you guys even take this shit seriously?
The more you give it attention - the more it fuels the woke fire.
They NEVER respond the to the counter-complaint that this is stupid, condescending and racist against "whitey".
Ignore this behavior - doubtful it will go away but at least you aren't letting them get to you.
.02 Razz

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Do not dignify any of their BS with a response.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post