SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would you do? (Refrigerator related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do? (Refrigerator related) Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We bought our home 3 months ago, and the sellers included a home warranty in the price. A few days ago, our fridge had a meltdown. It's a 7-year old LG french door model - very nice. The diagnosis came back as a failed linear compressor. The warranty company said LG's are known for their bad compressors (in fact, there is currently a class-action lawsuit for this issue). The warranty company said they would replace the compressor, but it would pretty much eat up our $1000 coverage for the year (so if something else broke on the fridge, we'd be on our own), or, they would send us a check for $890 - the cost to repair it. My wife found a nice Whirlpool for $1300 - so for a bout $400-$500 more, we could have a brand-new fridge, or, we could just have them fix our LG and take our chances. What would you do?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the Whirlpool. Do whatever keeps your wife happy.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Unless the money was really tight, I would buy the new one for the (hopefully) peace of mind if nothing else.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn’t waste $900 fixing the LG.

Posts: 26919 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you replace I would probably shove the old one in the corner of the garage in case the class action suit results in a recall or free repair.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
new unit.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Get the Whirlpool. Do whatever keeps your wife happy.

THIS. LG's are junk. When a compressor goes bad a lot of times it sends junk through the entire system that you never get all of it out. The year is 3/4 over, get the Whirlpool. Whoever the warranty comes to fix it isn't going to be a top notch repairman either......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Get the new fridge

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
We bought our home 3 months ago, and the sellers included a home warranty in the price. A few days ago, our fridge had a meltdown. It's a 7-year old LG french door model - very nice. The diagnosis came back as a failed linear compressor. The warranty company said LG's are known for their bad compressors (in fact, there is currently a class-action lawsuit for this issue). The warranty company said they would replace the compressor, but it would pretty much eat up our $1000 coverage for the year (so if something else broke on the fridge, we'd be on our own), or, they would send us a check for $890 - the cost to repair it. My wife found a nice Whirlpool for $1300 - so for a bout $400-$500 more, we could have a brand-new fridge, or, we could just have them fix our LG and take our chances. What would you do?

What is the warranty on the replaced compressor?
If the repair company provides a decent warranty on the part, I would have them replace the compressor and replace the unit if it fails again. No need to dish out the $400-$500 if I could get another 7 years out of the fridge.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
As long as it didn’t put me in a financial crunch, I’d get the Whirlpool and not look back.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would get the new one and kill two birds with one stone....new frig and happy wife. What could go wrong.

LG stole Zenith Electronics so the workers and stockholders have put a jinks on LG.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get the whirlpool. A Whirlpool is a whirlpool and it's made well. An LG is a ... thing.. 3 or 4 different brand names for the same pile o Sh49lkd.

Example of the suck: the door cam is a nylon wear part that makes your door close when you walk off and brain fart. it's soft nylon, wears out in a year or two or so. On the whirplool it's exactly that. a cheap nylon part, easy to replace. on your LG frankenstein you have to buy a $40 entire bottom hinge bracket with the cheap piece of nylon builtin.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My answer is NOT LG.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d get a new one.

Avoid LG and Samsung.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
If you replace I would probably shove the old one in the corner of the garage in case the class action suit results in a recall or free repair.

Take the money and buy a Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana refrigerator. Keep the old one for the class action lawsuit.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might check out this link and contact LG. Their POS linear compressors now have a 10 year warranty.

https://lgcommunity.us.com/dis...uncement-please-read

Never hurts to ask.

We too have had nothing but trouble recently with ours. LG has covered everything so far, but its only 4 years old.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
New fridge...no brained.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I would get the new one.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
7 year old fridge toss it. get the money and try to get lg to cover it have the best of both worlds.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Take the $890 and buy something different. My pops has had a few LGs. They are crap. LEDs that melt, multiple compressor failures.
I have had two Samsung’s and they are solid AF. A lot if people disagree, but a Samsung gets my vote.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post