SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unsolicited Spam Text Messages
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsolicited Spam Text Messages Login/Join 
posted
Already this morning I received two different text messages, calling me by my first name, claiming that I have an undelivered package since April and would I click some web site to verify I am the owner.

I'm not stupid enough to click on it. Can't imagine what kind of shit awaits anyone who clicks on it.

Anyone else getting this crap.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Political action committees seem to have discovered this tool too.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They're counting on gullible people out there. There's an endless supply of these folks, P.T. Barnum told me.

Q

Posts: 26447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep a few times, it usually goes into my unknown senders queue, then into blocking, then deleted.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got two, as well. Delete.

Posts: 849 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I get a few. None address me by my correct name, though, so I don't know why that is: Do they just assume I'll bite despite that, or because of it—?

I recently found how to block numbers with my iPhone, but haven't paid enough attention in the past to know if they use different spoofed origin numbers.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just block the number and move on.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Step 1: Block the Number
Step 2: Delete the message

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
Can't imagine what kind of shit awaits anyone who clicks on it.

I can. I know an elderly gentleman who received a text message claiming to be a utility company. They told him that his bill was past due and he owed $900 immediately. He was instructed to go get gift cards and text the card info, which he did. Next step was another message saying that he owed interest and penalties to the tune of another $900. He bought more gift cards. The third time he was told some equipment needed replacing and that would be $2,500. The bank stopped that because he drove to the bank for money.

This gentleman has mild cognitive decline--he can still drive. This is who these scams target. I wish we could set the scammers on fire. Mad

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one from some move on twerp asking about Biden. I asked about Biden’s position on spam texts. Still waiting to hear back.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
Already this morning I received two different text messages, calling me by my first name, claiming that I have an undelivered package since April and would I click some web site to verify I am the owner.

I'm not stupid enough to click on it. Can't imagine what kind of shit awaits anyone who clicks on it.

Anyone else getting this crap.

I got the exact same text late last night. Yes, it is a scam. You can report it to your cellular provider by copying the message and texting it to 7726. Then you can also report it to the FTC.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Don't even bother blocking the number, just delete. Most of these messages are from spoofed numbers, so the only thing you are blocking is some innocent third party. The spammer will be spoofing someone else's number the next time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am getting frustrated by the number of political text messages I am getting from both sides. I never gave any of the permission to text me. If I did not have unlimited text messages, I would be pissed that I was having to pay to receive an unsolicited text. This should be a violation of federal law.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Just text back STOP. They’ll unsubscribe you. Worked for me today.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've blocked at least 5 different numbers from unsolicited political texts just today. They're endless.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Don't even bother blocking the number, just delete. Most of these messages are from spoofed numbers, so the only thing you are blocking is some innocent third party. The spammer will be spoofing someone else's number the next time.

Recall I was at the accountant doing our Income tax. My phone rang and an irate stranger yelled at me for calling him. I explained about spoofing. He still yelled. I blocked home.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

I may consider doing that. Part of me says then that lets them know they have a “live” number. I also feel like telling either side that it is none of their business who I want to vote for; that is confidential. At least for me as I don’t talk about it, do yard signs, or bumper stickers.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
The spammer will be spoofing someone else's number the next time.

And then I'll block that number too. I know it's a spammed number, and I don't care because these spammers use these numbers over and over again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

I may consider doing that. Part of me says then that lets them know they have a “live” number. I also feel like telling either side that it is none of their business who I want to vote for; that is confidential. At least for me as I don’t talk about it, do yard signs, or bumper stickers.

The people sending these are not worried about following the law so responding with stop isn't going to help. I have an elderly customer who replied back to stop sending the texts and that it was illegal and they starting taunting him. I just block, delete and get on with my life.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got one from April, the adult film actress, who likes long-lasting men; she wants to get to know me.

Posts: 994 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post