SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any pickleball players in the group?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any pickleball players in the group? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
A friend invited me about 6 weeks ago and I tried it out. Now I’m hooked. There’s a group that meets just about everyday to play at different locations, both indoor and outdoor. I play 2, maybe 3 times a week.

It’s a fun game and good exercise. Anyone else play?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend and I started playing a few months ago. We started with a cheap set off of Amazon and some YouTube videos. She’s recently taken a class with our local Parks & Rec, but it’s at an inopportune time for me.

It’s been tough for us finding a group that plays after work hours. Thankfully, I discovered a couple of friends that play so we have some doubles matches set up on weekends.

We’re not at the competitive level, but it has been a blast learning.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:
My girlfriend and I started playing a few months ago. We started with a cheap set off of Amazon and some YouTube videos. She’s recently taken a class with our local Parks & Rec, but it’s at an inopportune time for me.

It’s been tough for us finding a group that plays after work hours. Thankfully, I discovered a couple of friends that play so we have some doubles matches set up on weekends.

We’re not at the competitive level, but it has been a blast learning.

I started with a cheap $20 paddle from Academy and just upgraded. There’s an app called pickleball finder that shows groups in your area that play. It should list a contact number for the person who runs it.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
Thanks, cooger! I’m going to download that app!

Posts: 4591 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I have been playing for a while at my local YMCA. At least until I got Plantar Fascitis in my right foot. Then covid hit and I still have not played yet.

I do enjoy the game though.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Yes! I've been playing for 15 years and usually play 5-6 days a week. I'm a district ambassador and Registered Referee Trainer for USA Pickleball. Here's a link to our Places2Play web site that'll help you find places throughout the world (mostly US and CA)...

https://www.places2play.org/

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Apparently they are putting courts in the park at the end of my street. They tore the fences and nets down around the tennis courts then have done nothing for a year. Now a sign goes up... Pickleball coming soon.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Yes I do. Less now than in the past but occasionally. We have a court in our back yard that has been a gathering point for friends and neighbors, during the unfortunate unpleasantness of the recent pandemic neighbor kids asked if they could play so we had noise in the yard again.

In fact the game was invented on my island paradise. And lots of people play here.

Posts: 6355 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28 | Location: east central FL | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I usually play 7 mornings a week for about 2 or 2 1/2 hours, starting at 0630. Gets hot early here !

Bought a new Selkirk S2 Amped paddle for my birthday a couple of months ago, really like it.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is an avid player since she retired.

She plays almost every day.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it until I visited friends in Park City about 10-years ago. The whole neighborhood and then some were all playing.
Seems like lot of seniors have taken it up, since it requires less base-to-base line movement than tennis; just get your first good step-in and you're there.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Never heard of it until I visited friends in Park City about 10-years ago. The whole neighborhood and then some were all playing.
Seems like lot of seniors have taken it up, since it requires less base-to-base line movement than tennis; just get your first good step-in and you're there.

The group I play with is a mix of young and old. The older folks are funny- some will barely move from where they are standing. They’re lethal in that one spot but won’t move much. I don’t mind having a partner like that since it makes me move more and I get better cardio exercise that way running around a lot.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wife broke her wrist first time out.

Ironically, the surgeon that she had scheduled to repair her wrist shows up the day of the surgery to introduce his partner who will now do the surgery because the original doc is in a leg cast - tore something up playing pickleball a couple days after the wife went down. Tough game, I guess. She's mending and out of physical therapy. Don't know about the Doc.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to learn, I moved to a 55+ neighborhood this past year and we have 4 courts and a very active pickleball group. I don't know much about it but I hear it is very addictive. They give introductory classes in the neighborhood but seems it's always when I am working. Guess I will just have to take a day off to join up with them.

I am an avid golfer, so it is going to be hard to compete with that.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I have avoided it for knee health. Quick lateral movements as I've experienced playing ping pong, aren't good for me. I do safer things, like water ski jumping.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post