SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander Mountain - Out of Biz Sale Sucks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mountain - Out of Biz Sale Sucks Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Went with a buddy of mine to Gander Mountain yesterday to get some "good deals" on guns, ammo, outdoor items, etc. since they are going out of business. Basically there were 4-6 racks of 30% off, and most everything else 10%, guns only 5% off and they were still 15-20% higher than anywhere else you can get a gun. Even while going out of business they have no clue. The lot was nearly 1/2 full, but nearly no one coming out of the store was buying anything.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good riddance. They have always sucked and won't be missed.

Posts: 2494 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
"Going out of business sales" are generally like this. They start by discounting everything 5-10%, and soon sell out of the really good stuff. You aren't going to walk in there on day one and find a good pistol for 50% off, for example. If this were the case, the employees would all buy the good stuff themselves and sell it for massive profit.

They will gradually raise the discounts until only really obscure stuff is marked down dramatically (lucky for you if you need a set of left-handed metric brake pullers. . . ).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21857 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
They have no incentive to discount guns and ammo because all firearms and ammo not sold go back to the manufacturers.

I got some decent deals on Carhart and Colombia jackets and fishing gear. That was all 15-20% off at my local store.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38033 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I was at my local store Thursday and could only conclude that GM doesn't even know how to go out of business. One thing I couldn't quite get was there were Help Wanted signs everywhere along with the Going Out of Business signs. What!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local store closed a month ago. I noticed as the clearance discount went up so did the price tag. They forgot to fully remove the last price tag off a shirt before they put the higher price tag on. Fuck off and good riddance.

Posts: 5431 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gander Mtn inventory was sold to a liquidator who is running the sale. The Gander Mtn name and buildings were bought by the owner of Camping World (Lemonis). He says he will reopen about 80 stores. Camping World has been very successful with both online and storefronts.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Our local store closed a month ago. I noticed as the clearance discount went up so did the price tag. They forgot to fully remove the last price tag off a shirt before they put the higher price tag on. Fuck off and good riddance.

Not Bait and Switch but Upper Middle Class prices?? Red Face

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4992 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I used a gift certificate I had received this week and was not impressed either. As I recall, they used to have far better prices many years ago when they were primarily a catalog order outfit. Their transitioning to retail stores seems to have been the beginning of their downfall.

Posts: 7329 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called the other day to ask which departments were discounted, and to what degree. The apparel guy said that clothing was 10%-30% off, depending on the brand. I said "oh, so basically getting down to close to normal price anywhere else". I've never had fun and laughed being hung up on before!

Posts: 1708 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
I was at my local store Thursday and could only conclude that GM doesn't even know how to go out of business. One thing I couldn't quite get was there were Help Wanted signs everywhere along with the Going Out of Business signs. What!
Rod

I saw that too in the Novi store Sunday evening. Makes you scratch your head in a "say what" moment..

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8154 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
"Going out of business sales" are generally like this. They start by discounting everything 5-10%, and soon sell out of the really good stuff. You aren't going to walk in there on day one and find a good pistol for 50% off, for example. If this were the case, the employees would all buy the good stuff themselves and sell it for massive profit.

They will gradually raise the discounts until only really obscure stuff is marked down dramatically (lucky for you if you need a set of left-handed metric brake pullers. . . ).

Which reminds me, i need a right-handed smoke shifter.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14048 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you know why they are going out of business. Like San Francisco, they were great place to visit but...

Cabelas is nearly as bad. I only bought there once, when they had what no one else did.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their prices have always been high for what other places close to them, charge. Like Bass Pro, I don't know how they stay in business either. Prices on anything gun related is insane.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I couldn't quite get was there were Help Wanted signs everywhere along with the Going Out of Business signs. What!

I was talking to a manager at one while picking up a safe the other day. He told me that when the closings were announced, a bunch of employees jumped ship. They need to hire more people in order to be staffed for the liquidation process.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15748 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
They are way overpriced, which is probably why they are going out of business. I went to the one near me that is closing to see if I could find any good deals. An example of their high prices is 30-30 ammo which is usually $20 a box. They had it for $24 with the 15% off for going out of business which would almost bring it down to a normal price. I had bought 30-30 ammo there before and it was $20. Almost makes me think they raised prices so after they "discounted" the items they would still get the same amount. Screw them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8696 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
But shopping at Cabela's makes you feel like a man!

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Gander mountain opened here I went for a look see. I found that even with shipping it was cheaper to buy most things mail order. Never went back.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
They have no incentive to discount guns and ammo because all firearms and ammo not sold go back to the manufacturers.

I got some decent deals on Carhart and Colombia jackets and fishing gear. That was all 15-20% off at my local store.

Manufacturers do not generally take back unsold firearms in scenarios like this. Gander/Campers World will liquidate them to other FFL's and Distributors.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post