SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am as Pro Cop as the next guy around here but I have questions.......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am as Pro Cop as the next guy around here but I have questions....... Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
At no point have I see the police say they got a search warrant. I would assume that if they had one they would say hey we got a warrant at 905 and entered at 930. So they either had a warrant earlier and don't want to report the delay in execution of the warrant or they acted on exigent circumstances, but there don't seem to be any changes in circumstances since first notification around 2am.

Well, the media often leave out little things like a search warrant and other information. Very seldom do you see it mentioned and usually only if the media is quoting from the Arrest Warrant and Probable Cause Statement. Some media outlets include those in their reporting while others do not. My views on the media, if it doesn't fit their narrative, it gets left out.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Think you are wasting time. Some people fall into the media trap and want to believe what they read.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the luxury of getting to read the news "stories" written based on criminal charges filed in my area. The things that the media folk can create out of four sentences of an affidavit are nuts.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, this seems like where I would want an officer to say something along the lines of "hey I can't go in there because there are no signs of entry, but if that window over there were broken that would give me cause to enter, hey look a brick. I need to go to my cruiser for a minute...." I know this sounds like shit from a movie but I am just saying what causes the exigent circumstances.

That shit right there, will get you fired SO fast your head would spin if it ever came out. That's the slipperiest of slopes, and EVERYONE on this board would be raising hell if a similar thing were applied to say... a "red flag" law or something similar.

You want ethical, honest, incorruptible police officers? That above is EXACTLY the opposite of that.

We are talking here about 4th amendment exceptions. If you're going to violate the 4th amendment and claim an exception or "exigent circumstance" then you better damn well have it.

Guessing leads to bad stuff, including innocent people losing lives, unjustified shootings, and officers in prison.

I've gone into plenty of places using exceptions (justified of course) and you know what the MOST FREQUENT result was? I found nothing. As in the house was empty and the crime that was supposedly occurring, the person in danger, or the sick, or injured person in a medical emergency, was simply not home and there was nothing there.

That happens WAY more often that we actually find something.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post