SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
The only thing I will say about those plates is that they are under sized about an inch.

Which ones: The AR500 plates or the Chase plates?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The only thing I will say about those plates is that they are under sized about an inch.

The Chase 4SAS7. They are around 11x9.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

The Chase 4SAS7. They are around 11x9.

would you say more or trying to say more?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The Chase 4SAS7. They are around 11x9.[/QUOTE]

would you say more or trying to say more?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, this visual helps.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize plates had expiration dates....Is that really a thing or just a legal CYA thing?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I didn't realize plates had expiration dates....Is that really a thing or just a legal CYA thing?

A bit of both. If your equipment is being sweated in and then stored in the trunk of a vehicle, there is a chance that the soft backer part of the setup can start to loose effectiveness. The plates are the same way except it's impact damage that causes issues. Plates can be x-rayed, but I have no idea how a private citizen would go about having that done. Bottom line is if your chest rig sits in a closet and is rarely worn, it should last much longer than the expiration dates suggest.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like everything, there is an expiration. This is generally because the people using the plates are LEO, military, etc where they see heavy use and abuse. Heat, moisture, drops, etc. degrade the adhesives bonding the plate components together. I imagine the life is a lot better for a civilian where they are kept inside with moderate temperature and humidity.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
I don't see any expiration on my ceramic plates. But I get them xrayed annualy in case I did something bad to them. Never been a problem though.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Report This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steel doesn't really expire, though it's far from the best choice. Anything which uses weaved fibers does lose effectiveness over time; less so when it isn't worn regularly. Most of the companies who make the weaved material, be it Kevlar, poly or whatever, only warrantee it for five years. Hence the expiration.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

Steel doesn't really expire, though it's far from the best choice. Anything which uses weaved fibers does lose effectiveness over time; less so when it isn't worn regularly. Most of the companies who make the weaved material, be it Kevlar, poly or whatever, only warrantee it for five years. Hence the expiration.

And many tests on 'expired' armor shows it to still be effective, but manufacturers have to play to the worst case scenario, heavy use, environmental exposure, etc and have an expiration date on them. It's not like any of it just becomes 'ineffective' the day after it expires.

My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do people who want body armor plan on wearing it as part of their EDC or is it something for a special occasion like riots or civil unrest or TEOTWAWKI?

Have you seen the shit going down in Seattle? Those people are gunning for you and they want you and your entire family dead.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Keep that stuff out of this thread, please. I have no desire to hear any news of it. The subject is off-limits in this forum.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do people who want body armor plan on wearing it as part of their EDC or is it something for a special occasion like riots or civil unrest or TEOTWAWKI?

I think in Para's case, his OP suggests perhaps the former? In my case I was thinking more the latter, but now I'm not certain, what, if anything, I wish to do.

This is one of those things where I really wish I could walk into a local store and try on a variety of options to be able to see and feel, first-hand, what I think might work best for me.

Lacking that: It seems like a bit of a craps shoot Frown

ETA: However, what I'm currently thinking is that, if I do anything, I may go for one of bulletproofme's ProMax Level II or IIIA concealable vests with a replacement tactical plate carrier shell.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it is in between teotwawki and edc. For home defense it makes sense to have some sort of carry method handy for spare magazines, light holster etc. Might as well be in the form of a plate carrier with prices so low now. If you have time to toss it on great, if not well that takes care of itself.

I have armor set up for me and the wife under the bed.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My question that folks are quoting now was posted in 2016.

Even now, I couldn't imagine wearing armor as an EDC item. It's heavy and not particularly comfortable, especially in the S. Florida climate. Things would have to get much worse for me to consider adding it to my daily routine.

I also note that the OP was interested in concealable armor, not plate carriers. I don't see how a plate carrier could be an EDC item unless you're in LE.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you really believe that anyone here would be walking around all day long looking like Iron Man?

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do you really believe that anyone here would be walking around all day long looking like Iron Man?

Most certainly not.

I am curious though - what did you end up going with?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also note that the OP was interested in concealable armor, not plate carriers.

Yes. And the conversation digressed a bit. This is normal. If the OP didn't like it he could have stepped in at any time and asked us to get back on the more narrow topic.

quote:
I don't see how a plate carrier could be an EDC item unless you're in LE.

I don't think most LE even wears plate carriers as an EDC item. ICBW.

I was thinking of a plate carrier because I was thinking I'd only wear armor if some-or-another SHTF thing occurred--either at home or in my town, or if I were to be moved to perform civic duty, such as when the local militia recently posted itself in downtown Coeur d'Alene, ID.

But, in retrospect, I'm really too old to be humping-around some 20-25 lbs. in plate carrier, mags, assorted other cruft, and firearms. And it's unlikely we'll be faced with "issues" in our immediate neighbourhood unless TS really HTF, in which case armor might be the least of my worries and it might be better to get the hell out of Dodge than play Alamo at home Wink

So now I'm leaning more toward Para's original interest--if anything.

Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Safe Life Defense https://safelifedefense.com/pr...flexible-armor-fras/ They have a vest that looks like soft armor. However it has ceramic discs like dragon skin. It called FRAS system Flexible Rifle Armor System. A bit on the expensive side but a wide variety of sizes for us chubby guys. Asking for a friend.

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Report This Post