SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which case tumbler to buy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which case tumbler to buy? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've got a couple of Amazon gift cards, and I'm looking to buy a brass tumbler. These are my two choices:

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Tumbler

Lyman Pro 1200

Which would you pick?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that same Lyman - works like a champ - but I now use a tumbler and stainless pins after deprime

I do still use the Lyman but now for some of the finished rounds to polish up after if I think they need it

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a previous version of the Frankford one for 30 years or so and it is still going strong. Lyman makes great products also.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have the Frankford one. No complaints.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I...t_dp_U_zq0sCb1TEPMW9

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:
I have that same Lyman - works like a champ - but I now use a tumbler and stainless pins after deprime

I do still use the Lyman but now for some of the finished rounds to polish up after if I think they need it

I think ether will be fine - not much difference.
I have a similar from RCBS but mostly use my Extreme Tumbler with SS pins too.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't what if anything this means but.... I have one of the top Midway ons and an older Midway one with the more rounded bowl like the Lymann. I can't say for sure about tumbling with polishing media, but I know running bullets in them to powder coat, that I get more movement of the bullets with the rounded tub.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
My tumbler came from Dillon Precision. It has to be at least 15 years old and still runs like a champ. Plus I like the company so a few bucks one way or the other means nothing.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've had that same Frankford model for a number of years, and have run thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would likely pick the Lyman product, as I have had good service from their products over the years.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman tumbler as well and it has served me well the last 15+ yrs.
I do have issues with Lymans customer service, but that's another story

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Franklin Rotary

I enjoy it with the pins. They're also not needed for a light clean up with dirty brass before running them through with a little dawn and lemi-shine.

I like to use a universal decapping die after an initial clean, then use the pins to clean out the primer pockets.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman and this one from Cabelas although I didn’t get it as a kit. Looks similar to the Frankford Arsenal.

https://www.cabelas.com/produc.../731769.uts?slotId=0

Between the two I much prefer the Cabelas. The Lyman I have has an open slotted lid and it allows the media dust to get all over the place. The only issue with the Cabelas model is that it doesn’t have a detachable bowl but that hasn’t been that big of an issue.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
lyman might be ok..the Frankford Arsenal was a flaming pile of poo. Mine had parts rollig around inside the case. the Dillon 750 or 2001 are the best I have come across!!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I was going to get the Lyman one, but went with a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler instead. No regrets.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've got the same Cabella's as birddog1 does, it's at least ten years old, and just keeps humming along.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman tumbler and a SS pin tumbler.

I rarely use the Lyman anymore, just using it to take case lube off cases when I’m making 300BLK.

I use and recommend lizard litter, it’s crushed walnut shells and is cheaper than the same from somewhere like midway. Plus it doesn’t get stuck in primer pockets like corncob does.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I used to clean brass and reload at work when I was at a slow fire station.
My partner had a Lyman tumbler and when it was running outside, I thought the diesel brush truck was running.
My Frankfort was just a dull hum and has been working for about 15 years without a glitch.
(also had a clear lid so I could see what was going on)
YMMV.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Frankford. Sure beats using a Q-tip and Brasso for each case.

Posts: 882 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with my Franklin Arsenal tumbler. I have cleaned several thousand rounds with no issue. It's not too noisy either.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post