SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ~*~WWII Rifle Update~*~
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

~*~WWII Rifle Update~*~ Login/Join 
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted
TSM11 Bought me a Mosin Nagant 91-30 a few years ago. A few days ago I found a new stock made by the Archangel division of Magpul on DVOR.com The rail adapter arrives tomorrow and a bipod arrived yesterday. I have a scope mount saved on Amazon and will pick out a scope for it later.

What do you guys think?

Before

After

After

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
No offense, but I think it was prettier before. . .

What is the advantage of that stock? Is it for accuracy? If so, are you an 'iron site purist' or are you planning on optics in the near future?

Or is that what the rail adaptor is for?

I do like the detachable mag. How many rounds does it fit?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Totally badass

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Well, the Finns did something similar with them. Here's my M28/76

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
No offense, but I think it was prettier before. . .

What is the advantage of that stock? Is it for accuracy? If so, are you an 'iron site purist' or are you planning on optics in the near future?

Or is that what the rail adaptor is for?

I do like the detachable mag. How many rounds does it fit?

As far as Iron sights - not really a purist. I do plan to add a scope in the near future. The main reason I changed the stock is the detachable magazine and the adjustable stock. The original stock is too short in length of pull and too shallow for the cheek weld. This stock is a much better fit. I'm 6'3" with monkey arms. Big Grin

The magazine is 10 rounds. A 5 round is also available.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hope it works for you. A friend of mine put the Archangel stock on his, but it impeded the firing pin release, and the rifle wouldn't fire. Make sure you get a good release on the trigger and sear before you go to the range and are disappointed.

It looks very nice, and should make the rifle more shootable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
A few days ago I found a new stock made by the Archangel division of Magpul on DVOR.com

It's not a division of Magpul. It's a division of ProMag.

(Yes, that ProMag... the makers of all those crappy malfunction-inducing knockoff magazines.)

Hope it works out for you.

I'd have kept the Mosin in its original configuration and put the ~$200+ you're spending on a scope mount and stock towards a more modern rifle, since it seems like that's what you're wanting. There are a slew of surprisingly decent quality budget level (~$300) hunting rifles available these days - Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, etc.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
six foot three with monkey arms....

hahahahaha

My wife is just looking at me..

BTW awesome that your wife bought you a rifle!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
A few days ago I found a new stock made by the Archangel division of Magpul on DVOR.com

It's not a division of Magpul. It's a division of ProMag.

(Yes, that ProMag... the makers of all those crappy malfunction-inducing knockoff magazines.)

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the correction. DAMN IT! I kept thinking Magpul for some reason. The rifle fit in the stock pretty well. I used an inch/pound torque wrench to tighten the stock bolts evenly and recorded the measurement so I can tweak it.

I'll post a range report after I go to the range with it.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Well, the Finns did something similar with them. Here's my M28/76

If there was only someone building Finn quality M28/76 now. Though I wonder what the market would be.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original stock is too short in length of pull and too shallow for the cheek weld. This stock is a much better fit. I'm 6'3" with monkey arms. Big Grin

I was gonna say, that's got to be more comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the original, I don't get the new stock parts. Just me.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:... I'm 6'3" with monkey arms. Big Grin...

I can testify.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Like the classic look of the MN.
Don't care for the contemporary stocks.
Please give a range report.
Remember that all surplus ammo is corrosive and rifle should be cleaned accordingly.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I'm down with upgrades! I wanted to modernize my mosin a little, but not break the bank and not make it tactical. I put it in a Boyd's stock glass and pillar bedded it, re-crowned barrel, and tweaked the trigger a bit. The rifle was free, passed around a few people and ended up with me after someone bubba'ed the bayonet and lug. Total cost(minus scope which I could use elsewhere) $125 or so.

I did take off the rear sight and fill in pin hole, future plans are to turn down the rest of the front sight and thread the barrel.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Like the classic look of the MN.
Don't care for the contemporary stocks.
Please give a range report.
Remember that all surplus ammo is corrosive and rifle should be cleaned accordingly.

Care to elaborate on cleaning methods? I've heard everything from removing the bolt and hosing it down to pouring milk down the barrel. Big Grin No, I'm not kidding. I've been cleaning it with CLP and then an oil soaked swab down the barrel.

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:... I'm 6'3" with monkey arms. Big Grin...

I can testify.

Yes, you can. Smile

-Ovid

NRA Life Member

Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I believe it's the ammonia you want which is why people recommend windex. I may be wrong on that though. I use m-pro 7 and haven't had any corrosion issues in the 5-6 years I've had it.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Care to elaborate on cleaning methods?

Flush the bore and bolt face with water. Hot soapy water works even better.

Then clean and oil as you would any other rifle.

That's it. No magic formula or fancy tricks needed.

Just be sure to clean the rifle relatively quickly after shooting it. Waiting a couple hours is fine, but you don't want to wait days before getting around to flushing it out and cleaning it.

quote:
Originally posted by policetruck:
I believe it's the ammonia you want which is why people recommend windex.

Ammonia isn't necessary, though it does make cleaning the powder fouling a bit easier.

That said, I do take along a spray bottle of generic brand Windex when I'm shooting corrosive ammo. Windex and Windex-like products are mostly water, they're cheap, the ammonia helps a little with cleaning, and being able to carry a spray bottle to the range is pretty handy. So it makes for a convenient way to flush out your surplus rifles at the range before heading home for a more in-depth cleaning and oiling.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Care to elaborate on cleaning methods? I've heard everything from removing the bolt and hosing it down to pouring milk down the barrel. Big Grin No, I'm not kidding. I've been cleaning it with CLP and then an oil soaked swab down the barrel.

Much like Black Powder old mercury primers leave a salt in the bore after you shoot.

You can use plain soap and water or spray a few shots of Windex down the bore, rinse with water and oil it up. That will remove the salts that attract water and cause rust.

I use simple green and warm water on my BP gun...never had a problem, just dry and oil it afterward

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post