SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another ham radio thread... but with a twist. **Updated 12/19**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another ham radio thread... but with a twist. **Updated 12/19** Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
If you're like me, the thought of sitting down and going through the the process of getting your ham license is something that keeps moving to the furthest rear burner of the stove.

I've been kicking this can down the road for better than 40 years. It was something that I'd get to someday, but 'some day' had no particular drive or end date. I knew I'd get around to it sooner or later, but nothing was pushing me to get it done.

Until now.

If you're also sitting on the fence, I invite you to visit this site: Project M.O.R.E.

While the stated goal of the project is to reduce both gender and age imbalances in Amateur Radio, through education and hands-on activities, it's currently open to all. It's free, and if you finish the course, you'll not only have your test fee paid for by the project - you'll also receive a radio upon successfully passing the Technician exam.

If you are involved with a youth organization looking for something different to present as an activity - you are who they're looking for (actually, your kids are). But right now, anyone can apply. I'm making a presentation to a local DeMoLay chapter in December to get a class together for January.

Disclaimer: I'm not involved with the administration of this project. I'm a member of the pilot class, which is about halfway through the course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: motor59,

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I too have done the same kicking down the road. Thanks for the info.

Got a Heathkit HW-101 t fix up ... bummer is that I need to find all the tubes for it and there is a bunch of them.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GENERAL is not so bad...its all you need

Posts: 348 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnO:
GENERAL is not so bad...its all you need

I have a blast as a Technician. Satellites, meteor scatter, multiple modes on 10m, and dipping my toes into code on 20m (slow as all get-out but some really good sports tolerate me.) It's absolutely a gateway drug, but one you never really need to "move up" from depending on your interests.

To the OP's point, I absolutely love the idea of diversifying the operator pool. I'm in my early 50s-- I only get my ticket in 2018-- and I feel like I'm pulling the average age down on whatever band I'm working.

Posts: 2470 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Thank you motor59.

Getting a HAM license was one of my to-dos once I retired. A friend down the street was going to introduce me to it, unfortunately he passed before we could start.

I’m thinking seriously again now.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8133 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encourage anyone interested to study and get licensed. I'm in my late 60's and retired several years ago. Signed up for the technician class but COVID put an end to that after the second class. Read all the texts I could find and found some good material on Youtube. Got my Tech license in September 2020, my General in November 2020, and my Extra in October 2021.

I wasn't born with the math gene so If I can do it, anyone can. However, I will warn you, it is a gateway drub as mentioned. You can sink some money into it but there is something to suit everyone's interest and budget. It is the best feeling to put your call sign out in response to someone calling CQ (asking for a contact/conversation) and have them respond back--from New Zealand (I'm in Virginia). If I can answer any questions let me know.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I passed my technician test this month after years of putting it off. I used the site “Ham Radio Prep.” It made all the difference for me. Believe me….if I can pass it, y’all can as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I passed my technician test this month after years of putting it off. I used the site “Ham Radio Prep.” It made all the difference for me. Believe me….if I can pass it, y’all can as well.

When I passed my tech test I asked them if they were sure. LOL

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Update #1-

Took my test online today - that was an unusual experience - and passed on the 1st attempt 35/35.
Big Grin

Get off the fence and sign up!

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Now get your General. Wink

I was talking with a fella yesterday who lives about an hour west of Tokyo. Japan. How cool is that? I have a 15 foot hunk of wire nailed to a tree in my yard and I'm talking to Japan with it.

That may not be that big of a deal to most folks these days who can get on their phone and Facetime with someone in downtown Budapest, but the kid in me still thinks this kind of stuff is really cool.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Will do ... !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
motor59 - Where online did you take the test?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I took the exam itself on a site called examtools.org and it was (administered?)(proctored?) through GLAARG - the Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group.
Gotta say that it was a neat experience. Those GLAARG dudes/dudettes know their stuff. Very professional and businesslike.

Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Good for you. Now get your General. Wink

I will. As a matter of fact, the instructors in my course recommended that we try the test immediately fter passing the Technician exam. At least 2 did, and passed. I considered it, but I knew I wasn't ready, and I didn't want to waste the VE's time. I want to learn the material, not the answers to the test.

I have 18 pages of dialog that I need to memorize word-for-word and then recite from memory in late February for my Masonic Lodge. After today, that will be my next goal.

So feel free to start nagging at me to test out any time after 1 April. Wink

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
hamstudy.org has a good preparation tool. It is focused on passing the tests, but has excellent teaching paragraphs for each test question you can study as you go through the questions.

I hope to create a low-power station in my garage soon. I plan to use a portable antenna so that I don't create lightning risks, and so I don't have to purchase and install various safety elements and grounds.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
motor59 ... today I registered with hamstudy.org, obtained my FRN and emailed the MORE Project for the study application.

When I was looking through hamstudy.org at the time I only saw the opportunities for taking the test in-person or remotely. I did not notice a study option on this site. Am I missing something ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:

...I didn't want to waste the VE's time.

ARRL VE here.

Never a waste of time.

Like seeing people pass and get on the air.

FYI, no additional fee to take the next element after passing the previous element.

At minimum, a good way to see what's next.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
SigSauerFan-
I looked over the test for General previous to yesterday. It was clear to me that I'd just be guessing on more than half the questions, unless the karma gods smiled at me and gave me all easy ones. And since them Gods had already seen fit to smile at me earlier (see Nshumways's karma post) it would have been inapprorpriate to push my luck.
Right?
I'll come back and sit for the General exam when I have a handle on the material. As a Veteran and a First Responder, GLAARG will waive the fee anyway.

old dino-

If the MORE project accepts you, they'll query you on your preferred study dates/times. Then tthey'll put you in a class with a dozen or so others with the same availability.

For me, it turned out to be Sundays from 1-3pm Eastern.

I didn't do anything directly with Hamstudy.

**Update #2**

Already got my license notification. I'm KD2YMY. Find it hard to believe that an agency of the Federal Govenment could be that efficient... less than 24 hr turnaround.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerFan:
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:

...I didn't want to waste the VE's time.

ARRL VE here.

Never a waste of time.

Like seeing people pass and get on the air.

FYI, no additional fee to take the next element after passing the previous element.

At minimum, a good way to see what's next.

Another ARRL VE here and I agree with the above post.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was asked to be part of the emergency prep group for my church and was issued a hand held Yaesu FT60. Of course, I had to get the Technician license. I went to a course, sponsored by our fire department and, on the day of the test, passed the Technician and then, on a whim, took the General and passed it as well. I'm, by no means, familiar with "electronics" but I was interested and read the materials carefully.

A month or two passed and my wife went out of town for 10 days and I started taking practice tests for the Extra exam. Since the testing pool consists of a large bank of questions I took a lot of tests and learned the answers. A couple of weeks later I passed the Extra.

I haven't done much with the license. I did buy a multi band hand held Yaesu VX8 DR and I've remained involved with the emergency radio group in the church.

With all this, I'm not feeling the vibe this is a hobby that, for me, is very interesting.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 708 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post