Find
Notify
Tools

TV soundbar Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Looking to get a small, reasonable price soundbar for my TV. Don't need anything fancy, just something to improve the TVs internal speaker sound.

What is a good brand?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've had Vizio and Samsung, both are good, The samsung has a subwoofer that is BT connected, improves sound quality and it has a smaller profile with multiple input sources, BT, Direct to TV etc...

Get one with BT and you can connect your phone. alexa, anything with BT to play music etc.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I bought a Harmon Kardon just over a year ago and as a music and special effects aficionado (my wife calls me deaf but that's another story), I would not only recommend the same brand to others but also followed up with a second and third for the office and master bedroom.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
How much do you want to spend? There's a big difference between a $100 speaker and a $500+ soundbar.

My store in Nashville sells a couple if you want to email me and/or take a listen.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
After a few years of use, my Samsung 450 is constantly losing Bluetooth connection to the subwoofer. Great sound, but getting annoying. Lots of YouTube videos about how to correct it - that should tell you something. Unfortunately, I have to do it more than occasionally.

Take it for what it’s worth.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've had a Samsung bar and subwoofer (and TV) for about 3 years now. Been very happy. Sometimes the audio does get out of sync, but that may an issue with the TV, or my Apple TV. I just pause, turn the soundbar off for a second, then back on, and it will be back in sync.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I love our Sonos sound bar, but *cheap* it isn’t. Reasonable for what you get imo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I was having some difficulty hearing the dialog while watching movies and tv shows unless the volume was cranked up on the crappy built-in speakers.
This past weekend I picked up this Polk sound bar for $140 + tax at the local Best Buy on sale.
It is a big improvement over the built-in speakers.
Not a home theater experience but good enough for my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Au...sprefix=polk+&sr=8-4

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I bought a vizio bar and bluetooth sub combo that is many times clearer than the lacking TV audio. Music sounds pretty good too. I think it was around $150 via Amazon.

I'd imagine the $500+ bars sound noticeably better but for $150, the vizio makes a Huge improvement.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I bought a Yamaha Bluetooth sound bar that BestBuy had on sale for $150. I am hard of hearing, with a tin ear for music, but it is a definite improvement over the TV’s built in speakers.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a Vizio tv and soundbar (one with a subwoofer).

Like most audio equipment, you can go Cadillac or Chevy. You have to decide how important it is to you. For tv watching, I don't require anything super hi-fi, and my $200 unit is fine.

One thing for sure, though - the speakers built into any flat screen I have ever heard are terrible. Just flat awful and are well worth upgrading unless all you do is watch Fox News and soap operas all day.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of brand loyalty rather than mix and match, if I had a Sony TV I would look at the Sony sound bars first... Is that a valid approach, I don’t know but it is where I would start.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's a slightly different take, but one that offers some really good sound quality for the money. I bought a pair of these and installed them on my 60" Vizio family room TV. The sound quality is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A23AS8PFN4IRUQ&psc=1

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I bought this one about six years ago and have been completely happy with it. I listen to music and watch operas but as jhe said, this might be overkill, depending on what you are watching.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Yamaha with sub in the home gym and I is excellent.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
OP has read my mind, I was going to post same. I also will be buying sound bar for our TV. Will be keeping watch. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Looking to get a small, reasonable price soundbar for my TV. Don't need anything fancy, just something to improve the TVs internal speaker sound.

What is a good brand?

Lots of good brands. But if and when you do buy one, get a wireless subwoofer to go with it. You won't regret it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Picked up this one and it's been pretty darn good for the price. Better than a Boise we have in the other room.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I love our Sonos sound bar, but *cheap* it isn’t. Reasonable for what you get imo.

^^^This^^^ I bit the bullet and could not be happier. Easy to set up. Great sound and worth the $$ and you can add more speakers whenever and wherever you want.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I had a Sony and it was complete garbage. About two years ago I picked up a higher end Samsung from Costco because I have always liked the quality and features of my Samsung TV's and I've been very happy with the Samsung sounder as well. Sound is great, good dynamic range, easy connection and it works consistently. Also, the bluetooth works smoothly as well if I want to stream music through it from my phone.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post