SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife is going to be in a wedding for her friend
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife is going to be in a wedding for her friend Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
next summer that's in NOLA. The couple are from Chicago and we live in Orlando.

I'm not going.

Told my wife she might be prepared for the possibility that we can't afford for her to go. She would be going with our 3 year old daughter who is going to be the flower girl.

Looking at the cost now, flights for both of them would be around $400 round trip. I can assume a hotel would be around $120/night for 3 nights. That's $360 there. Without factoring food or a rental car, that's $760 there. Plus the cost of renting a dress this would go well over $1,000.

$1,000 to do a favor for someone?

I told her I hope the couple don't get surprised if a lot of people don't show up. Not everyone wants to and/or can afford to travel for something like a wedding.

I mean, if you want people to show up, wouldn't you hold the wedding at the place where you and most of your guests live?

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Dumb friend of my wife got married in Paris years ago. YES, France. Stupidest thing I’d ever heard of. Guess who’s ass got dragged to France?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Just tell your wife you don't believe in marriage.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got married in Taiwan. My buddies spent $1600 a piece for the ticket to get there. We covered their hotel, most of their food, plus gave them a tour the four days before the wedding.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Dumb friend of my wife got married in Paris years ago. YES, France. Stupidest thing I’d ever heard of. Guess who’s ass got dragged to France?

Shit! Their initial plan was to get married in Spain. I told the wife, "there's no way we can afford that and if we could, I won't spend that money because it's a waste."

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yep. I said the same thing my friend. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should go and try to enjoy the trip...at this point it is just the cost of one more ticket. Car, hotel etc. is being spent either way.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this woman is a good friend of your wife's, telling her that she cannot afford to go a year from now is not going to go over well. At all. Perhaps run the thought of your wife saving in order to go by her. But telling your wife she cannot go, if the friend means much to her, is not going to go over well at all. Illogical, yes, but women think of things like a wedding much difference than men. They DO NOT think of it as a favor, they think of it as a life changing incredible event that their friend is going through and want to be there for it. If your wife is IN the wedding, the dress should be provided. It's a 9 1/2 hour drive from central Florida to New Orleans, you could always rent the cheapest, econobox rental car with great gas mileage and unlimited miles for about $30 per day, and drive it pretty cheap. Things like this are reasons, my married friends don't get laid for a month at a time. Going and enjoying the trip with them and making it a family vacation is a great idea as well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Some probably just aren’t thinking about it, but I have no doubt that some people plan a “destination wedding” BECAUSE they know a lot of people won’t go. You don’t have to hurt any feelings by not inviting people because you know most wont spend the money to go- thus you don’t have to pay for a large reception.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If this woman is a good friend of your wife's, telling her that she cannot afford to go a year from now is not going to go over well. At all. Perhaps run the thought of your wife saving in order to go by her. But telling your wife she cannot go, if the friend means much to her, is not going to go over well at all. Illogical, yes, but women think of things like a wedding much difference than men. They DO NOT think of it as a favor, they think of it as a life changing incredible event that their friend is going through and want to be there for it. If your wife is IN the wedding, the dress should be provided. It's a 9 1/2 hour drive from central Florida to New Orleans, you could always rent the cheapest, econobox rental car with great gas mileage and unlimited miles for about $30 per day, and drive it pretty cheap. Things like this are reasons, my married friends don't get laid for a month at a time. Going and enjoying the trip with them and making it a family vacation is a great idea as well.

this ^^^

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They could have the wedding in Chicago, and it wouldn’t be any cheaper.

It’s not just a wedding. It’s a female victory party, always to be regarded by them with intense interest, joy and satisfaction even if you have no interest, don’t know the couple, etc.

When we lived in Whackyland, receiving an invitation was gratifying that there was going to be a wedding and when you got there, there was only one bride and you could tell which one it was.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry Edmond, If your wife wants to go she should. You, not so much.

We just spent a ton of money we did not have to go across the country to a wedding.
I was ambivalent about going. Wife decided we needed to go. There were very valid family reason's for doing so. I am glad we did. It was well worth it. Had a great time.
Financially, not so much. But hey, it is only money right?

Don't sweat it. Make it a fun deal. It will pay dividend's for your family.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19233 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

this ^^^

This for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Well, they could go Greyhound for about $150 each round trip.

Flight, hotel, transportation. Rental car may not be necessary. Uber is cheap.

They would be eating at home as well wouldn’t they? I don’t recall my 3-year olds costing that much to feed.

Instead of looking at is as a $1000 “favor” look at it as a $1500 vacation for your wife and daughter. Yes, $1500 don’t pressure them to stick to being as cheap as possible. Along with the wedding I am sure there are one or twelve other things they could come up with to do in the Big Easy.

9-10 months out, put away $150/mo and it is covered. They will have a great time on a get away weekend and you will have banked bonus points for use when you want something your wife is luke warm over.

My guess is your wife can come up with a few examples of you spending $1000 - $1500 that she disagreed with.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm with the "girls" trip idea. Have your wife put a savings chart up where your daughter can see it. Talk it up as a "mommy and daughter trip" and watch the enthusiasm grow. Anytime there's an opportunity to save some money add that amount to the chart.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody wants to go to NOLA in the summer.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

hold the wedding at the place where you and most of your guests live
I know a couple who worked in Chicago. They took Friday afternoon off, went to City Hall, and got married. A few friends came along to witness.

It seems to have worked. My wife and I have been married for 39 1/2 years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had a friend get married in Maui. It was a great trip (we had about 9 months notice). But then again another buddy dropped a short notice marriage in France and has always been butt hurt nobody showed up.

Glad all my friends are mostly done getting married and most second marriages are done on the cheap & quick!

From Central FL it might be better to rent a car and drive, make a short vacation out of it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Nobody wants to go to NOLA in the summer.

Yeah but it isnt much worse than Central FL all year... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Told my wife she might be prepared for the possibility that we can't afford for her to go.

That's a bold move Cotton.....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post