SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we know about wood duck decoys?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we know about wood duck decoys? Login/Join 
posted
I got these several years back with the idea to give them to an uncle who was an accumulator of such things, but early onset Alzheimer's has removed that option so I'll ask here.

I've got these guys here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...92@N04/shares/GJt5FF One is branded "BEN P" on the bottom. Not sure if that was the maker or the owner.

Anything special, or okay to drop off at Goodwill with the next load of stuff I won't bother to try and sell on CL?

Thanks.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know nothing. But.. probably 20+ years ago now I fished one out of the trash at a job I was on. It wasn't "decor", but an actual decoy that had clearly been well used long long ago, and I'd say it was in pretty rough shape. I put it on Ebay and got $60ish bucks for it at the time.

Posts: 21116 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Somebody local would love to have those. A gun store or rustic restaurant maybe. They are cool.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Hatteras many guys there had them. The name is the owner. There’s a place on Harkers island that has a clubhouse for wood duck carvers. Very cool. I’m sure any duck hunter would love to have them

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
They'd look good on the mantle in a rustic cabin...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8941 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Somebody local would love to have those. A gun store or rustic restaurant maybe. They are cool.

They came out of a now closed 1960's gun shop, so that makes sense to me.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of those things are pretty valuable. I'd at least try to research things a bit more. Maybe find a local Ducks Unlimited club to see if there are any collectors there.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
They'd look good on the mantle in a rustic cabin...

Heck, they'd look good next to the Hawken .50 caliber rifle over my TV.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I did a little research and couldn't find any positive results for that name.

My guess would be they might fetch somewhere between $25- $50 in the right auction. But take that with a grant of salt.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fella on the CMP forum suggested these looked like Herters decoys.

Looking at Herters ID'd decoys on eBay, I think he might be right.