SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago judge shot, killed outside his home
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago judge shot, killed outside his home Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chicago police say a Cook County judge shot to death Monday morning outside his South Side home might have been the victim of an attempted robbery, though it didn’t appear any possessions were taken from the judge and a woman companion who was wounded.

Citing preliminary information, police said the woman, 52, encountered the gunman by the garage of the two-story brick home in the 9400 block of South Forest Avenue around 4:50 a.m. Words were exchanged and she was shot once in the leg.

"Upon hearing the commotion and the gunshot, Judge (Raymond) Myles exited his residence," Melissa Staples, the chief of detectives, said at a news conference at police headquarters. "(He) exchanged words with the offender before he was fatally shot multiple times."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170410-story.html

He did leave the house without a gun to confront the offender. Sounds like the perp was hiding and waiting, but the woman came out first.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt even Chicago thugs get up at 5 in the morning to rob someone. Sounds like a love triangle to me .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I doubt even Chicago thugs get up at 5 in the morning to rob someone.
That's the silliest thing posted in this forum in the past few days, and that's quite an achievement

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt even Chicago thugs get up at 5 in the morning to rob someone. Sounds like a love triangle to me .
If they're like me, they may not have been to bed yet. (I retire around 0300-0500 daily.)

The article said the shooter was Black. (I am not surprised.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch. Now the "system" will get all serious about what they do. Or should I say, don't do.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Why would he have not taken the precaution and carry a weapon? Or was he a liberal judge?

Not too hard to figure out that he might have been a target for someone's anger or revenge.

RMD

They shot him without warning. Apparently simply opened fire with the intent to kill them both. Even if he had been armed, not likely he could have done anything to prevent this. And this was, IMO, an ambush.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something to consider regarding solving this. In August 2008 Adams County (CO) Assistant District Attorney Sean May was gunned down in his driveway in Denver. Still unsolved.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Why would he have not taken the precaution and carry a weapon? Or was he a liberal judge?

Not too hard to figure out that he might have been a target for someone's anger or revenge.

RMD

They shot him without warning. Apparently simply opened fire with the intent to kill them both. Even if he had been armed, not likely he could have done anything to prevent this. And this was, IMO, an ambush.

From what I read, the female was shot first. He heard the shots and went outside. It appears he had plenty of warning and could have prevented getting shot.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Is there anyone in Chicago that Hasn't been shot??

There's a couple of us in that club.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The ONLY good thing that the old Mayor Daily did was install those big concrete planters and plant trees along all the sidewalks.
Not for the reasons that he did this, but it offers the citizens good HARD COVER!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well since guns are pretty much banned in Chicago, they should be able to find the person who legally purchased their firearm and carry permit. Isn't that how gun laws work? If only the judge had a no gun sign posted in his yard...

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good people in Chicago.

They just don't know how to vote for the right person.

The shooters now rule the city and it is going to be a bloodbath to take it back.

The police need to take a hard ass, take no prisoners approach but the current administration will not allow it.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I doubt even Chicago thugs get up at 5 in the morning to rob someone.
That's the silliest thing posted in this forum in the past few days, and that's quite an achievement

Thank you . We'll see I guess .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
It's "Da Sou Side". Not a new phenomenon. Mom and Dad and all Da Irish Relatives lived in "Da Sou Side". It was "upscale" then. Not so much now.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
It's "Da Sou Side". Not a new phenomenon. Mom and Dad and all Da Irish Relatives lived in "Da Sou Side". It was "upscale" then. Not so much now.

It depends on WHERE on Da Sout Side you're at.

94th & Forest, not so much. there's a FEW nice blocks in that area, south of 95th street to about 97th gets a little better, but not much.

I cant believe a Judge would be living THERE... Ehhh, his choice.

You go to Mt Greenwood / Beverly area, West Morgan Park... it's great. Predominantly all Irish, one of the three spots in the City where you see "Trump" & "Make America Great Again" signs on a regular basis. But that's the far south west corner of the City.

Hegwish & "The Avenues" on the far south east side used to be the same. It's s-l-o-w-l-y going to shit, but still kind of holding on.

The area around Midway Airport is nice as well.

North side? HELL YES! Some beautiful neighborhoods up there, however, being a Sox fan, and "Shanty" Irish, they don't let my type venture too far north of Madison Ave without my passport. Wink

http://heyjackass.com/

If you look at the BLUE areas on the map, there's something about the demographic & socio-economic make up... Something about people who have jobs, settle down, get married, have families, raise their kids, pay taxes...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you . We'll see I guess .
There's nothing to "see". No matter what turns out to be the details of this particular case, to say "I don't think any thugs get up at 5 in the morning" is just damn silly. Ever hear of staying up all night?

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Authorities in Chicago said Wednesday a 37-year-old man has been charged in the killing of a judge who handled criminal cases.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a tweet that Joshua Smith was charged in the shooting death of Associate Cook County Circuit Judge Raymond Myles earlier this week.

No details were immediately released on what led police to Smith, but authorities are planning to hold a press conference at 5:30 p.m. local time.

Earlier on Wednesday, Guglielmi said investigators were "questioning individuals" in the case who were "people of interest," but declined to specify how many.

Myles was shot to death Monday outside his home on Chicago's South Side. A woman he knew also was shot and wounded.

Myles had been involved in several high-profile cases, such as the murder of relatives of singer and actress Jennifer Hudson in 2008, when he ordered William Balfour to be held without bond.

Myles was attacked in 2015 after a minor traffic collision after taking pictures of the damage on his car, according to the Chicago Tribune. The other driver punched him in the face, causing serious injuries, according to court records cited in the newspaper.

The FBI is offering a $25,000 reward in the case.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...h-chicago-judge.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let me help you with this....

The thugs in major cities are just thinking about going somewhere to pass out, shack up, or plain go to bed around 5-6am. They don't work the 8am-5pm thug shift.

Most people know that even inner city bad areas are fairly safe until around 11am or noon. I had clients with facilities in Detroit that would only book appointments before noon just for this reason.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most people know that even inner city bad areas are fairly safe until around 11am or noon.

Yep, the vampires, werewolves, and other monsters of the night have gone to bed and it is too early for the (junkie) zombies to be up and wandering around stealing stuff.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I know this is not your average shooting scenario in the Windy City, but it's up to 127 already. It's going to be a long year- be safe up there brothers.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post