SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla burns in crash, killing driver and 'keeps catching fire' at tow yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla burns in crash, killing driver and 'keeps catching fire' at tow yard Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Looks like another potential bit of troubles for Tesla.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/l...-20190225-story.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Keeps catching fire? The car, or the driver?

Seems to me they should have taken him to the hospital, but I'm no mechanic.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
If you are a first responder or a good Samaritan, be careful of these things. Electrical and chemical hazard.

And yes, I know gasoline has its risks too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was funny- Just like a gas tank.

quote:
There is a “post-crash potential” of fire if a battery cell is punctured, “just like there would be post-crash with a gas tank,” industry analyst Karl Brauer told the South Florida Sun Sentinel last year.

quote:
The Tesla was eventually towed to A Superior Towing on Southwest 66th Terrace in Davie where fire crews were called out at least three times during the overnight hours.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Maybe fire departments should start having Teslas towed to their station's parking lot or to an airport's CFR burn pit for a few days after accidents.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keeps catching fire? The car, or the driver?

Spontaneous human combustion? Eek Perhaps Tesla's lawyers are already looking at this as a possible defense?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or start dealing with putting them out in the first place! I'd be strung up if we went back 3 times. But there are special products for lithium battery fires and its coming that every engine will have to carry them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
I have to have a Hazmat label on the package when I ship lithium batteries. Do they have one on their cars?

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thermal runaway

Richard Hammond crashed an electric supercar on The Grand Tour. They said it burned for days.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes a Corvette look like a fantastic bargain, doesn't it?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The 21st century version of the Pinto?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Makes a Corvette look like a fantastic bargain, doesn't it?

Sir, in my opinion, the Corvette has ALWAYS been a fantastic bargain. the only reason I don't have one here in UK is that the roads are getting to be more like those of Botwsana every day, making any ride out in the oulu, where we live, feel like riding a church pew on castors down a flight of steep steps.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Very similar crash happened last week here in New Jersey. The Tesla suddenly veered off the roadway... In this case it just went into a muddy field but seems like there's a real glitch in the system somewhere. Link

My 2019 Mustang has lane keeping and a host of other gizmos and I keep them off most of the time. I’ve found that the lane keeping gets very confused if the lines disappear from the roadway suddenly or it will even try to follow the white line towards an exit instead of continuing straight. A little unnearving but easily correctable and the car doesn’t commit to it. Seems with the Teslas, the car commits to its wrong decision and says “Let's go!!!”

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
I have to have a Hazmat label on the package when I ship lithium batteries. Do they have one on their cars?

Drinking while using a variety of batteries may cause spontatious combustion?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

They're not lithium ion. They're lithium high-on.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:

My 2019 Mustang has lane keeping and a host of other gizmos and I keep them off most of the time. I’ve found that the lane keeping gets very confused if the lines disappear from the roadway suddenly or it will even try to follow the white line towards an exit instead of continuing straight. A little unnearving but easily correctable and the car doesn’t commit to it. Seems with the Teslas, the car commits to its wrong decision and says “Let's go!!!”
It’s no different in the Tesla, the difference is with the driver.

The Tesla will do more so some drivers think it’s auto pilot when in reality it’s auto assist. If that driver in the Tesla crash was paying attention as soon as he touched the steering wheel his commands would over take the cars, just like any car with auto assist.

The drivers always say they were paying attention but the car took over and wouldn’t let him correct but after downloading the data I can’t ever remember someone actually having their hands on the wheel trying to correct. It’s possible this might be the first but I would wait and see first.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tesla batteries are crazy dangerous when damaged. Adding water to them is an accelerant.

This is the second time in S Florida a Tesla has killed people because of the fire issue.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

Drinking while using a variety of batteries may cause spontatious combustion?

I think it means, if you drink...these batteries...you will get heartburn....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Quote:We’ve been in touch with their [Tesla’s] South Florida division. Their giving us helpful tips and information. Right now, we’re doing literally what Tesla wants us to to.” he said.

Giving us helpful information? That sounds like phone support "try this and call us back".

If true that's a helluva way to run a potential liability situation at least in my opinion.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is a problem with some types of batteries: if they develop an internal short for some reason the only way to make them safe is to let them discharge, or literally pull them apart to get the anode and cathode separated. The second method is impractical in any sort of emergency, so basically you just have to let them go until they discharge. Of course, even that isn’t perfect as they tend to deform when they get really hot and separate some part of the battery. If those parts come back in contact as they cool, they can start to discharge again. The burn pile joke probably isn’t a bad idea, since some of these lithium chemistries can survive lots of heat and still retain some charge.

I’m waiting for them to go all Star Trek and have a system that ejects damaged cells like the warp core of the enterprise. The idea of tiny flaming batteries launching out the back of a Tesla amuses me more than it probably should!

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post