SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Burning pressure treated wood. Is it unsafe or just internet hype?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning pressure treated wood. Is it unsafe or just internet hype? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've got some excess pressure treated wood I need to dispose of. Is burning it in a fire pit outside really hazardous or is it internet lore? I don't plan on roasting marshmallows in it or breathing in the smoke. I just need to get rid of it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5414 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The green pressure treated wood has an arsenic compound in it. I wouldn’t be breathing the smoke.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Info at the following link say NO!

https://woodworkingclarity.com...treated-wood-lumber/

How bad of an idea it is depends on how old the PT Wood is, and what chemicals were used in treating it. Issues range from the smoke causing Lung Cancer to one tablespoon of the Ash containing lethal dose of certain chemicals. Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8921 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Are you allergic to arsenic? Probably not a great idea.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
the ash may be pretty toxic according to the first link I posted FYI.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The pressure treated wood I have is from Home Depot and is tan in color.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay. Thanks. I'll cut it up and figure out where to dump it.

Tony.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Bottom line in my opinion ( and I know opinon's are like arse holes ) ... but I would rather dump it rather than burn it.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw some Oleander on it for good measure!

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't anyone who could put the wood to good use? Id advertise free wood on FB market place, craigs list or just set it in front of your house with a sign that says free wood. Seems to me even if it were safe to burn disposing of it in the trash would be the simpler solution.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Trash goes to landfills and it sits slowly rotting but leaving the chemicals to filter into the ground water system.

The old arsenic treated wood does that. The "new" sodium silicate - which was the actual first treatment process - can be burned. Silicate is that, sandy, and has no toxic fumes IIRC.

Know which it is and handle accordingly.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Are you allergic to arsenic?

Aren't we all?

Posts: 32526 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Trash goes to landfills and it sits slowly rotting but leaving the chemicals to filter into the ground water system.

The old arsenic treated wood does that. The "new" sodium silicate - which was the actual first treatment process - can be burned. Silicate is that, sandy, and has no toxic fumes IIRC.

I did not know this ... good information to learn. Guess now the question is if the pressure treated is the old or new.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:

Got a relevant link to reference re: the 'new' sodium silicate treatment of PT Lumber and it's seemingly 'non-toxic' properties?

Having never heard of this I looked, and I'm not finding much of anything re: sodium silicate PT product, nor am I finding anything new.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8921 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Rane would know. Biggest Auburn booster. Owner of Yella Wood, PT lumber.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In the words of Elton John; I am Still Standing.
Burnt plenty of it. Do I use it as the cooking fire or sitting around it for fire pit night? No, but plenty has gone in the burn pile with no ill effects.

But also not burning a huge load like an entire old deck or fence.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
You don't anyone who could put the wood to good use? Id advertise free wood on FB market place, craigs list or just set it in front of your house with a sign that says free wood.

Yeah, “reclaimed wood” is in, even if it’s modern stuff that been chemicalized. If it saves one tree from being cut down…. Plus, where you live? Someone will snatch it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's probably like the state of cauliflower, where everything is toxic and will kill you on contact. But no I wouldn't burn it anyway, i'd slice it up and put it in the trash. I wouldn't breathe the sawdust coming off the saw. In reality I doubt it's a big problem, but to be safe that's what I'd do.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It was 2003 or 2005 when the arsenic treatment was banned by the EPA. Don’t cook over it or sit there inhaling it with every breath but being exposed to minor amounts isn’t going to kill you.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post