SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court Delivers Unanimous Victory for Asset Forfeiture Challenge
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court Delivers Unanimous Victory for Asset Forfeiture Challenge Login/Join 
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
What you are cloaking yourself in is the mantle that everything is lily white clean until there is a cracking of the gavel but I think your anger is misplaced.
Not what I'm saying at all, I'm not that naive. What I'm saying is that without proof you don't get to seize assets absent a conviction. Suspicion doesn't equal guilt, and correlation does not equal causation.
If a perp is arrested and the search finds a gun on his person or vehicle and he says he lawfully owns it, should we just give it back to him to use as he wishes until there's a trial on the ownership? Of course you're not believing that but that's what you're saying when you say all forfeiture pre-trial is wrong.
Again, not at all what I'm saying. Forfeiture implies the item is no longer available for the owner to retrieve. Normally with assets this is because an auction is held, or the department sells whatever the item is. Holding a firearm seized in the course of a (for example) DUI arrest in safekeeping until the owner is out of jail & can show proof of ownership to reclaim his/her property is different from seizing house/car/cash with suspected drug ties (for example).
You must not work active cases where there is a long and I mean very tall pile of exhibits, affidavits, limited search warrants, wires, records multiple prosecuting attorney's constantly weighing whether is sufficient evidence, presenting it to the judge and whole very deep and involved process just to get to the arrest warrant and search and seizure side.
No, I've done all of that. I understand following the paper, conducting a thorough investigation, and presenting your probable cause to the DAO & judges in order to obtain wires, warrants, Facebook/social media account information, forensic computer/cell phone recovery, etc. I get it. Spent my last three years working internet sex crime stuff, and several years prior to that working the "war" on drugs investigations. None of what you are talking about, however, is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Which can ONLY be obtained in a criminal trial. Probable cause does not constitute proof beyond reasonable doubt.
Cash is the oxygen of the cartels and drug trafficing organizations. It's hid, moved, laundered and washed in various ways to keep it from being seized because without cash, the cartels can't stay in business and the seizure of cash and assets is not a whimsical daliance by LEO. If the taint is removed the property is returned.
I strongly suspect that the Supreme Court carefully noted during their discussions that pre-trial civil forfeiture had a proper place and was not unconstitutional. It's still allowed and nothing from today changes that.

Seizure is on solid ground and I'm fully supporting the proper use.

Agreed, but it's too bad they didn't go further in limiting it (imho). The so-called drug war isn't going to be won this way. Unless you can stop people from demanding the product, which you can't do, someone will always fill the void and supply it. It's simple economics. Here's a fun fact: the EXACT same percentage of the population of America engages in illicit drug use today as they did pre-DEA & the declaration of "War" on drugs by Nixon in 1971. So in almost 50 years of "war" we have managed to do nothing except waste trillions of dollars, which would have been better used if we'd dug a giant hole in the earth, dumped the cash in, and lit it on fire. The only thing we managed to do during that time was to put a higher percentage of our population in prison than any other western nation, and we can't even keep drugs out of prisons. At its root the drug war, which is the impetus for all of the civil forfeiture, is simple economics, and we will never arrest our way out of it. I'm jaded, I know. But I also know what I saw. It's good that you still believe in what you're doing, and I hope you retain your soul through all of it. Stay safe & watch your six bro. My email is in my profile if you want to continue our discussion.

Posts: 1734 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You all have it wrong. You're taking away an important tool that would never be abused. Big Grin

quote:
During oral arguments in November, Indiana's solicitor general got boxed into a corner by Justice Stephen Breyer, who managed to twist the government's lawyer into arguing that Indiana should be allowed to seize vehicles for as small an offense as driving 5 mph over the speed limit

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Nope, not all. I'm not talking about a traffic stop where personal property/assets are seized. Although you'd be surprised how often hundreds of thousands of dollars are seized along known drug and human smuggling corridors in this country, usually in the possession of illegals with no explanation as to how they came to possess that much money.

Our probable cause, supported by a lengthy affidavit which usually detailed months of investigation, documentation and surveillance, at the direction of a special prosecutor and approved by a county or state or federal judge (depending on jurisdiction) was not easily obtained as some would think. If we didn't have proof, it was returned.

If LE wasn't able to seize early enough, the assets would be transferred and disappear.

Believe what you want, but it's not always as defense attorneys would have you believe.

Yes, this is hugely correct.

The forfeiture is the end of a process that was lengthy, with plenty of AUSA oversight and lots of affidavits, supporting documents to support the underlying arrest and the accompaning forfeiture.

This is not some bubba sheriff hiding behind a bush with his radar gun and then seizing a car and contents for his department or personal use.

Far from it.

Yeah. I don't trust the AUSA, DAs, and Special Prosecutor either. Their "oversight" doesn't give me a lot of comfort. Not to put too fine a point on it, ya'll are in cahoots on this. And when they present the evidence to the judge, there isn't really anyone there arguing for the other view, is there? And to again be blunt, the courts are a little to cozy with the executive branch prosecutors for my comfort, too.

I understand that the process was used within the statutes and guidelines. We think the whole program is not Constitutional.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Wow! You know a law is ridiculously egregious when you get a unanimous slap down. About time.

Yep.

Suspicion may be a reason to investigate, but damn, gents, protection from 'unreasonable search and seizure' surely ought to ring some bells.

My guess is there's gonna be a lot agencies forking over their old seizure proceeds, post-haste.

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Indiana Supreme Court overturned that decision on the ground that the ban on excessive fines does not apply to the states.

...???

What's the point of the Constitution then?

quote:
Amendment 10

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Doesn't that mean that everything in that stupid old "living document" DOES APPLY TO THE STATES? Am I taking crazy pills? Don't these people take oaths specifically related to the Constitution? How do you get to be on a state supreme court and...

I'm just gonna stop before I work myself into a frenzy

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ya'll need to look up some materials on the incorporation of the Bill of Rights to apply directly to the states. There is plenty of reading out there on that.

The original view, pre-14th Amendment, was that the bill of rights did not apply directly to the states. This is not a trivial argument, and is rooted in the much more expansive view of states' rights, and states' jealousy of their sovereignty of the time.

But start here. The Wiki article is pretty good.

But one point is that we have not incorporated the rights against the states wholesale. It has been done piecemeal, and not all rights have been incorporated yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...f_the_Bill_of_Rights

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But one point is that we have not incorporated the rights against the states wholesale. It has been done piecemeal, and not all rights have been incorporated yet.

I would also note that, as with this decision, these separate incorporations have tended to be the result of states egregiously trampling on the principles in the U.S. Constitution.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dude, it wasn't even close.

9 to nothing AGAINST.

There wasn't even one old codger to write a dissenting opinion.

It UN-constitutional, no matter how much you Po-Lice liked to use it.

I'm sure we could find a bunch more of illegal shit if we did away with search warrants, wire taps stuff, etc - but we don't do that, do we?

ETA - we lost the war on drugs, we just don't accept it yet.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post