SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing protection for kids recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection for kids recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on hearing protection for my 11 and 12 year olds. The kids are shooting small caliber rifles and 20 gauge shotguns. We shoot indoor and at outdoor ranges. I have older Peltor brand earmuffs for them, but the boys get discouraged when people shoot larger calibers at the indoor range.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Howard Leight used to make some very good passive ear muffs that were easily -33 dB down. Used to be inexpensive.

https://www.howardleightshootingsports.com/

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
If I am shooting indoors, or even under a cover outdoors, I always double up on hearing protection. Use the disposable foam type in the ear canal, and over the ear muffs. Neither one alone is sufficient for high power pistols or rifles in a confined space.

I typically use amplified over the ear muffs, so it's still possible to communicate.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post