SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pros/cons of banking with online only banks (ie Ally or Capital One)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros/cons of banking with online only banks (ie Ally or Capital One)? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
My main reason for considering the move is the fact that my credit union offers 0.01% interest on my savings account, whereas Ally and Capital One offer 2% and 1% respectively.
You do realize that once you apply the current rate of inflation you're making nothing on your money with that type of investment.

As to your other question, if you already accomplish the majority of your banking via online means, you shouldn't see much different moving to an 'only' online bank.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I mostly left BOA for ING years ago. Keep a minimum in BOA for a free account so I would still have a bank with a physical presence.

Capital One bought ING a few years back and opened local branches near me so my online banking now has a physical presence. Been inside a few times and it's always staffed with friendly competent people. Something BOA could never seem to do.

Capital One has been good to go for me. Even better now that they have physical locations near me.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have experience with FNBO and Sallie Mae.

FNBO has on-line bill pay which is nice and I used it extensively when I was an expat.

Sallie Mae’s money market has check writing so I use it for my infrequent payments That otherwise ass rape you for paying electronically (eg annual property taxes).

I can transfer money back and forth for free.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
ING is (was) a solid bank...following in the footsteps of the insurance conglomerate by the same name...now known as Voya in the US. I’m also ok with Capital One and have used them for some lending. They’ve got the online thing oiled imo.

But Ally Bank....ugh. It’s just GMAC (General Motors Acceptance Corporation)repackaged following the 2008-2009 banking scandle. No thanks.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post