SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Put out a kitchen fire at our house today just in time.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put out a kitchen fire at our house today just in time. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Quick background, I had to go into work this morning to get ready for a busy week next week. And of course, Mrs. BB61 was out shopping and doing the carpool thing so nobody was home.

Anyway, I fortunately got done early and came home around 11.00. As I opened the front door, I could immediately smell and see smoke. Long story short, we had a small electrical fire on our stove. Mrs. BB61 had the crockpot on the stove cooking and had inadvertently turned a burner on. That burner had melted the crockpot cord and we had flames spreading over the stove top by the time I got home.

Fortunately, the flames hadn't spread to the counter or cabinets yet and I was able to put it out fairly quickly. That being said, the house really stinks bad.

Lots of little lessons here. This could have really turned out bad but for me coming home early. Be careful folks! The holiday season is upon us and lots of extra gadgets and cooking will be going on. And make sure you have a fire extinguisher for your house!!

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Not a hosedragger, but I’ve responded with them plenty of times and most of homefires started in the kitchen.

We have a fire extinguisher in each bedroom and one in the pantry for the kitchen.

Glad it went well for you.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
We have a fire extinguisher in each bedroom and one in the pantry for the kitchen.

Same here, plus two in the garage.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always put the crockpot on a metal sheetpan and clear a path all around it so that nothing is ever near or touching it and on the counter.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Great save. I use my crockpot all the time, and I always have some nagging feeling about something happening when I leave it unattended. Glad you caught it.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The lesson here has nothing to do with the crockpot.

The lesson is don’t use your stovetop as storage space.

My kids will set the bags on the stove when they bring the groceries in. It’s really easy with front mounted controls to turn a burner on by accidentally bumping the control.

Of course fire extinguishers are good to have, but an ounce of prevention would have gone a long way in this case.

Glad you caught it before it got out of control.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yowza. Good outcome all things considered.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12733 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My house was essentially totaled by the smoke from a stove top fire that spread to the adjacent wall and ceiling. No one was home, it was discovered by a neighbor who spotted smoke. The fire investigator determined that my dog had bumped a burner knob on and set afire all the crap my wife kept on the stovetop.

We're living in an apartment for a year while the house is rebuilt.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put out a grease fire on my neighbors stove . The FD showed up and put two blowers in the doorways to exhaust the smoke . It really helped .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The lesson here has nothing to do with the crockpot.

The lesson is don’t use your stovetop as storage space.

This.
After my father passed, I looked at my folks electric stove and one of the burners was covered in melted plastic.
I don't understand the need to put things on the burners when they are not in use.
It was fun trying to clean that up but I got that old Jenn-air coil going again.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Quick background, I had to go into work this morning to get ready for a busy week next week. And of course, Mrs. BB61 was out shopping and doing the carpool thing so nobody was home.

Anyway, I fortunately got done early and came home around 11.00. As I opened the front door, I could immediately smell and see smoke. Long story short, we had a small electrical fire on our stove. Mrs. BB61 had the crockpot on the stove cooking and had inadvertently turned a burner on. That burner had melted the crockpot cord and we had flames spreading over the stove top by the time I got home.

Fortunately, the flames hadn't spread to the counter or cabinets yet and I was able to put it out fairly quickly. That being said, the house really stinks bad.

Lots of little lessons here. This could have really turned out bad but for me coming home early. Be careful folks! The holiday season is upon us and lots of extra gadgets and cooking will be going on. And make sure you have a fire extinguisher for your house!!

I'm sorry, but why the heck is *anything* on the stove other pots and pans actively being used for cooking?

100% a policy, procedure, and training failure.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with the criticism. I told Mrs. BB61 to change and in the future, put the crockpot on the counter on a HD cookie sheet.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I don't disagree with the criticism. I told Mrs. BB61 to change and in the future, put the crockpot on the counter on a HD cookie sheet.

This is not criticism toward Mrs. BB61
It's just a summation of ourselves and our own family members.
It's a good reminder.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This happened to a neighbor. Very strong storm 70 mph winds took out power in the area for 4 days. Neighbor had a pot of soup simmering. When storm came through and power went out stove and soup were forgotten about.

Neighbors went to stay with family w/power and were not home when power came back on. Result was a fire with substantial damage. Yes, there was some negligence but also just bad luck.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Were your smoke detectors going off yet?
Luckily you got home when you did. This is one reason I have a Nest Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detector for each floor. So I will be notified of the detector going off even if I am not home.

All the fires I have worked where no one was home were all pretty much total losses because folks only called when smoke or flames were escaping the exterior and by that point it is pretty much too late.
And in only one instance did a pet make it and that is because it was in the unfinished basement and nothing to burn up.
Would hate to come home to our pup burned up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
No fire alarm, which is concerning. I'm going to get new ones tomorrow. Batteries are good too.