SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nice try, CBS, But No Cigar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice try, CBS, But No Cigar Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Star Trek Discovery was on CBS tonight. Watched it. Looked promising. Maybe. Will never know because it turns out it was a teaser episode to try to suck ST fans into signing up for CBS All Access. That's right: It'll be available in the U.S. only via CBS' streaming service.

Ain't gonna happen in this house.

To add insult to injury: It'll be available on Netflix internationally, but not in the U.S.

Bite me, CBS.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
People still watch TV garbage?

Q

Posts: 27627 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Yep, watched it tonight, don't care enough to pay extra $ to get CBS All Access...

I guess I'll never know if they defeat the Klingons or not.... Razz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
TBH: What with all the virtue signaling, the lame plot line, less-than-stellar acting, and their totally missing what Star Trek once was: I suspect we won't be missing much.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just find a stream online.
I just watched it on my phone a little bit ago.

Not sure if this works but my daughter's high school blocked netflix.com on their wifi and she was able to login to netflix.es using my account. Not sure if accounts are geolocked. Moot point once I switched our phones over to unlimited.

Not paying CBS. I pay $11/month to Netflix and have loads of stuff I don't have time to watch. Not going to pay CBS whatever they are charging. They should just sell it to other streaming services.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8174 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's OK... you really don't want an STD

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Since you can try the streaming service for free, I'm going to wait for the series to finish then watch every episode in one sitting before cancelling.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Stark Trek subject:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

PURE GENIUS! I kid you not!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
On the Stark Trek subject:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

PURE GENIUS! I kid you not!

Watched several minutes of one episode and, okay, that's pretty great stuff...I sure wish I could figure out how to stream from my computer to the TV's Roku unit so I could watch stuff like this on TV.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

..I sure wish I could figure out how to stream from my computer to the TV's Roku unit so I could watch stuff like this on TV.

I just hook my laptop to my TV input. One laptop has an HDMI, and one just has a VGA output, but they are both watchable. Naturally the HDMI is higher quality.
I have a ROKU too. I don't know how to interface that.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:

..I sure wish I could figure out how to stream from my computer to the TV's Roku unit so I could watch stuff like this on TV.

I just hook my laptop to my TV input. One laptop has an HDMI, and one just has a VGA output, but they are both watchable. Naturally the HDMI is higher quality.
I have a ROKU too. I don't know how to interface that.

Yeah, I don't really have the setup or area to try and hook up the two...though now that I think about it, I do wonder if I could so something like that with either my Amazon Fire or Galaxy Tab...?

I know the Roku is wireless, since it's streaming NetFlix and YouTube, etc., but it doesn't have an Internet capability, which I've always thought was kind of odd...sure seems like throwing on a Firefox, Opera, or Explorer, et al function would have been an easy and welcome inclusion.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The cast of the new Star Trek takes a knee.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-th...ry-cast-takes-a-knee

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31446 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

"The cast members of Star Trek Discovery were slammed by social media users Sunday after a photo of the CBS show’s stars taking a knee went viral online.
The photo, posted on Discovery star Sonequa Martin-Green’s Instagram account, was an apparent show of unity with NFL players protesting the national anthem.

The post, captioned with the hashtag #StarTrekDiscovery and #takeaknee, appeared online just hours after the show’s world premiere."
http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...knee-shows-premiere/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
nothing like slitting your own throat...

good for them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonequa Martin-Green -

didn't even have to see her picture to not be surprised at all that she supports BLM bigotry and hate.

Posts: 5032 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the article:
The new Trek series will reportedly feature war-like Klingon warriors as an allegory for racist Trump supporters.

Wow, Gene Roddenberry knew about Donald Trump becoming president all the way back in the '60s!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
From the article:
The new Trek series will reportedly feature war-like Klingon warriors as an allegory for racist Trump supporters.

Wow, Gene Roddenberry knew about Donald Trump becoming president all the way back in the '60s!

And who's going to be the allegory for racist Obama/Bernie/Hillary supporters?

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
The cast of the new Star Trek takes a knee.

No surprise there.

Told my wife about the "Klingon thing" about which I'd learned in the STD thread. "We won't be watching that, even if it does come back to broadcast TV" was her response.

I love that woman Smile

(And she's not even an American!)

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Working through Season III of the original series via DVD ... The Tholian Web

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel embarrassed I gave The Orville a try. When the guys from the all male race had a female child & then sought the Dr for corrective surgery, call me whateverphobic but I gave up on the series.

I'm stuck with tribbles or Horta's I fear... just too old maybe

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post