SIGforum
Need Help Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4380026205

August 10, 2023, 05:40 AM
lastmanstanding
Need Help Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart
2009 Club Car Precedent 48 volt. It has a dead spot on acceleration. Goes along fine for fifty yards then loses power. Let up on accelerator and it goes again. Batteries test good on a load meter. I replaced the Mcor throttle potentiometer thinking that would solve the issue but it didn’t.

What else could be the issue? Thanks in advance!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
August 10, 2023, 06:14 AM
Powers77
Check all your wires and connections for corrosion. Electric gremlins on electric golf carts can be fun. I had my headlights not working. Replaced the switch and still had the problem. Ended up being a corroded (hidden) wire.
My EZ Go seems to eat wires. My parents Club Car not so much. Go figure.
August 10, 2023, 07:40 AM
bendable

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 10, 2023, 07:47 AM
HRK
https://buggiesgonewild.com/in...966b9417051774edc306

This is a great forum for everything golf cart related, EZ Go, Club Car, I use it for issues with my Club Car DS.

Lots of good people with knowledge on just about every model out there..
August 10, 2023, 02:31 PM
snidera
I'd try hooking a volt meter to the input of the controller & see what the voltage is doing when it drops out. Something is causing the controller to fault out. You'll start out at ~50v or a little above, then it will drop when you push on the accel. It should level out & then climb as the load decreases. If the voltage drops quickly at the same time as the controller cuts out, you have at least 1 battery that's going bad. If it's steady/climbing slightly, the controller or downstream is the cause. Since it's resetting, I'd suspect a safety acting out. I think EZGO has a speed sensor that will cause similar issues. Never had to look too deeply on that side.

quote:
Batteries test good on a load meter.

What's the load & voltage drop under load? Most battery testers are aimed at automotive starting, so ~100A for ~5s approximates that. Under acceleration, your cart could be pulling that for a lot longer, a weak battery could cause issues.
August 10, 2023, 02:38 PM
LS1 GTO
Uhm, sounds like the throttle potentiometer has a dead spot.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

August 10, 2023, 02:52 PM
frayedends
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Uhm, sounds like the throttle potentiometer has a dead spot.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I replaced the Mcor throttle potentiometer thinking that would solve the issue but it didn’t.

These go to eleven.
August 10, 2023, 04:36 PM
bendable
Are you near Brainard?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 10, 2023, 06:05 PM
P250UA5
No help to the OP, but had to get a chuckle from my initial read of the title:

Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart

First thought: aim for center mass Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 10, 2023, 09:46 PM
trapper189
Or try 10mm.
August 11, 2023, 09:00 AM
HRK
Thread Link

If it's just slowing down and not quitting then it is likely the speed sensor, if it stops then probably solenoid
August 11, 2023, 09:07 AM
smschulz
For a minute there I thought you were having optics issues with your rifle. Razz

Trouble Shooting > troubleshooting
August 11, 2023, 09:17 AM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
For a minute there I thought you were having optics issues with your rifle. Razz

Trouble Shooting > troubleshooting

Came to say the same.

It's always a painful time when the cart's time comes and you have to put it down, but it's for the best.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
August 11, 2023, 10:01 AM
trapper189
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Are you near Brainard?

You thinking Paul Bunyan can fix it? Oh wait, that's Brainerd's neighbor to the north, Bemidji.