SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Help Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
2009 Club Car Precedent 48 volt. It has a dead spot on acceleration. Goes along fine for fifty yards then loses power. Let up on accelerator and it goes again. Batteries test good on a load meter. I replaced the Mcor throttle potentiometer thinking that would solve the issue but it didn’t.

What else could be the issue? Thanks in advance!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check all your wires and connections for corrosion. Electric gremlins on electric golf carts can be fun. I had my headlights not working. Replaced the switch and still had the problem. Ended up being a corroded (hidden) wire.
My EZ Go seems to eat wires. My parents Club Car not so much. Go figure.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://buggiesgonewild.com/in...966b9417051774edc306

This is a great forum for everything golf cart related, EZ Go, Club Car, I use it for issues with my Club Car DS.

Lots of good people with knowledge on just about every model out there..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd try hooking a volt meter to the input of the controller & see what the voltage is doing when it drops out. Something is causing the controller to fault out. You'll start out at ~50v or a little above, then it will drop when you push on the accel. It should level out & then climb as the load decreases. If the voltage drops quickly at the same time as the controller cuts out, you have at least 1 battery that's going bad. If it's steady/climbing slightly, the controller or downstream is the cause. Since it's resetting, I'd suspect a safety acting out. I think EZGO has a speed sensor that will cause similar issues. Never had to look too deeply on that side.

quote:
Batteries test good on a load meter.

What's the load & voltage drop under load? Most battery testers are aimed at automotive starting, so ~100A for ~5s approximates that. Under acceleration, your cart could be pulling that for a lot longer, a weak battery could cause issues.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Uhm, sounds like the throttle potentiometer has a dead spot.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Uhm, sounds like the throttle potentiometer has a dead spot.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I replaced the Mcor throttle potentiometer thinking that would solve the issue but it didn’t.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you near Brainard?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No help to the OP, but had to get a chuckle from my initial read of the title:

Trouble Shooting Electric Golf Cart

First thought: aim for center mass Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Or try 10mm.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thread Link

If it's just slowing down and not quitting then it is likely the speed sensor, if it stops then probably solenoid

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
For a minute there I thought you were having optics issues with your rifle. Razz

Trouble Shooting > troubleshooting

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
For a minute there I thought you were having optics issues with your rifle. Razz

Trouble Shooting > troubleshooting

Came to say the same.

It's always a painful time when the cart's time comes and you have to put it down, but it's for the best.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Are you near Brainard?

You thinking Paul Bunyan can fix it? Oh wait, that's Brainerd's neighbor to the north, Bemidji.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post