SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yikes!!! Vegan “brisket”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yikes!!! Vegan “brisket” Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Y’all have my permission to hit me with a bag of doorknobs if you catch me intentionally eating or serving vegan “brisket.”

Texas needs to add serving vegan “brisket” to the acceptable use of deadly force statutes.
quote:
Vegan 'brisket' outrages barbecue fans on Twitter

Not since your brother-in-law’s last cookout has a slab of brisket caused so much anger.

TV writer Kevin Biegel took to Twitter last week to share his attempt at creating a vegan “brisket” from a combination of common meat alternatives like seitan, jackfruit and miso.

But, in doing so, he generated a flood of responses from BBQ aficionados, who blasted his attempt at recreating the smoky barbecue staple.

Biegel, a father of two whose IMDB credits include writing for shows including “Scrubs” and “Cougar Town,” later explained in the responses that he himself isn’t vegan, but began experimenting with alternatives after suffering heart issues over ten years ago.

“I eat [meat] in moderation. I make it for people. But I’m gonna stick with my heart doctors and the experts when it comes to my health, thanks,” Biegel added.

On the flip side, Biegel also got plenty of responses from followers asking for the recipe, and commending him on trying to change his diet, even though some suggested that his ingredients — namely the BBQ sauce — were a little high in sugar.

On Monday, Biegel followed up by thanking his followers for coming to his defense, and promised to share the recipe for his vegan brisket, or “vrisket.”

He also added that he has, in fact, cooked a real brisket before, and has an appreciation for both.

“I’ve been making BBQ for about a decade and am finally getting okay at the real stuff, too. I live in both worlds!”

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Just the thought of that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Just another reason we need the comet.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What kind of vegan would this appeal to? I would think a true vegan wouldn't want anything that even suggests or reminds him/her of meat or other animal products. So just who is this aimed at?

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, Just no. There's a reason why this idiot has "IMDB credits" rather than cooking awards, and this harebrained idea is Exhibit 1.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
First of all, that ain't brisket.

But even if it were brisket, why would you ruin a good brisket by coating it with BBQ sauce?

That monstrosity is double-wrong.

Posts: 32526 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
First of all, that ain't brisket.

But even if it were brisket, why would you ruin a good brisket by coating it with BBQ sauce?

That monstrosity is double-wrong.

Have you ever tried to get a good crust on a tofu/quinoa/sprout/kale blob before? You need the BBQ sauce for the bark.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Ewwwww. Just ewwwwwww.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
A bit of drift but I have always been perplexed by this question:

What is the appeal of trying to simulate food that you are ethically or otherwise opposed to eating? Just eat fucking vegetable dishes, there are thousands to choose from. Tofurkey, garden burgers meant to look like meat, vegan brisket....it doesn't make a bit of sense. By simulating the animal based foods aren't they just perpetuating the thought that those foods are preferable to the point that they are trying to simulate them.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Have you ever tried to get a good crust on a tofu/quinoa/sprout/kale blob before?

With pride I can answer NO!

ETA but I'm not judging

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
What is the appeal of trying to simulate food that you are ethically or otherwise opposed to eating?

Misery loves company. The sick, duplicitous bastards are trying to con normal people into eating this foul mess by either piquing their curiosity ("Does it really taste like brisket?") or outright fooling them ("C'mon, it's just like real brisket!") That makes it a moral, or even revolutionary, act.

Which just goes to show what protein deficiency can do to your brain.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t really care one way or another what this cat puts on his grill. But don’t try to feed me that shit and pass it off as brisket.

I had a meal once at a place in Arlington, TX called “The Lovin Hut”. All vegan menu. I got plenty of hair lipped looks when I parked my F250 amongst their Smart cars and Priuses, and walked in dressed in boots and wranglers.
I told the waitress to pick me out something. Whatever she brought, I told her I’d eat it with an open mind. I also informed her I raised beef cattle. She looked a bit tense...
She brought out some meat shaped stuff on seaweed noodles. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t meat. The thing that got me was they tried to make it LOOK like meat. It was pure gluten, shaped like beef tips. The place wasn’t too busy, so she sat with me and my date and we discussed the beef cattle business. It was civil, and I think I may have opened her mind a little.
Anyway, the main thing I noticed was the charade of making it look like meat. Like they need the charade as well to choke that stuff down.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mer khaye fleish far mir!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
First of all, thank you for not posting pictures.
Smile
Secondly, this would not be a meal that needs protection.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you are determined to eat something that tastes like meat... just eat the piece of meat. Stop all of this foolishness.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple friends that have been bitten by the tick that gives the allergic reaction to meat. Both would grill, smoke etc every weekend and they are struggling. While most find this stuff unpalatable, its unfortunately what they now have to fall back on to get a BBQ fix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
No. Hell no.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hangin’s too good for ‘im

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
fucking heresy of the highest order!

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll have to admit that I never thought that "vegan" and "brisket" would be two words that I would ever see together for any reason.

So, who's up for some "non-alcoholic" "Whiskey"???? Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post