SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update p2, Undergrad. Geology, how important is the “right” school?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update p2, Undergrad. Geology, how important is the “right” school? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Surprised South Dakota School of Mines and Technology hasn't been mentioned. It's one of the top in the nation for engineering and the like.

"Wall Street Journal Ranks South Dakota Mines Among Top 10 Recommended Universities in the Nation"

https://www.sdsmt.edu/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A close friend on mine graduated from FLorida State with a Geology major. She works for the Navy and makes good money. A doctorate is not needed. She felt she got a good education at FSU. No need to go out of state.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
Kid is a junior in high school, don't put the cart before the horse.

Stay in state (free) for the first semester, if not year, of classes in his major. Very good chance this Geology major will change.

I have one with an MS and another in an MA program.

YMMV

Posts: 259 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
He’s a senior in high school and has been full time college since his high school junior year. He’ll have his college AA degree when he finishes high school. The only prereq he won’t have to start junior level college geology classes will be the very first geology class and that’s only because his college doesn’t offer it.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, as someone who tested out of everything I could, he needs to be careful with what he skips/tests out of - I managed to test out of lots of BS. (A&M had the textbooks in the library and a CLEP test was $50 or so)

I do not suggest testing out of anything which will be a core aspect of his major - I shot myself in the foot by doing that with Calc II

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
...He’s a junior in high school and a freshman in college. ...

I misunderstood this part. Good luck to him.

Posts: 259 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
No problem and thank you. The original post was last school year when we were trying to get a feel for what schools to take a look at. I posted an update on page 2 and changed the thread title to reflect that update.

It’s confusing to me and I’m living with it on a daily basis. Big Grin

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post