SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bird nest question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird nest question Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
So I have a robins nest above my front porch. The lady of the nest built a nest there two years ago and she returned this spring. She had three babies that I saw her feeding recently.

I discovered a dead baby bird today on the lawn. I haven't heard or seen the robin or the little ones in several days since finding the dead baby. I used my Gopro and a pole and I checked the nest. Inside was another dead baby bird.

I looked around on the ground and could not locate the third baby bird. Did the third chick make it? do nesting robins usually have a mortality rate or 66 percent? or is mamma robin an unfit mother?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is a squirrel climbed into the nest and killed the baby birds. Raccoons do the same.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you want a survival rate night mare ?
Check out Wood ducks
life ain't easy when you have feathers

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54659 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post