SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Abrams M1A2s in my neck of the woods..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abrams M1A2s in my neck of the woods.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
America baby! Just had around 15 pass by me on the rail. All tan and beefy with that awsome smooth bore. I nailed 3 pictures. Wish I could post one cause mbinky would like that. Any how, going south so maybe another Member might get a peek.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the Bradley's there is something about an M1 Abrams ((or any tank really.))

I was in the process of transferring to an Armored Cav unit of the TN national Guard to be a 19K when Uncle Sam stepped in and promoted me.. (Which squashed the transfer)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I used to see them go by my office about 35 miles north of where you saw them. They were usually stripped out, assumed they were going to Lima for rebuild.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would pay $1000 for a chance to witness live tank practice. (Or big artillery, for that matter.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I can hear both here in Temple, Flashguy. I live just east of Lake Belton and Ft. Hood.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I would pay $1000 for a chance to witness live tank practice. (Or big artillery, for that matter.)

flashguy

Sounds like you need to take a trip to that drive tanks place. From what I read, it’s pricy but you can shoot the main gun and a MG. I tried to convince my boss that it would be a great team building exercise, but he didn’t buy it.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

https://www.drivetanks.com/

They have quite a few packages available. You can actually fire some artillery for less than your $1,000 price target. They also have driving and firing packages for quite a few different tanks.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
(Or big artillery, for that matter.)

Check Fort Sill's Fires Center of Excellence to see when (if they still) have firepower demonstrations ( https://sill-www.army.mil/ ). They used to have them regularly and you got a great up-close bleacher seat. You will need ear protection though!

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

flashguy

They have quite a few packages available. You can actually fire some artillery for less than your $1,000 price target. They also have driving and firing packages for quite a few different tanks.

New bucket list item.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pic David, awesome to see!

Now everyone else can see it. I cropped it a bit for better details, hope you don't mind me changing it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Looks good by golly. Only my cell camera. Thats some bad boys right there.. Cool

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

flashguy

New bucket list item.
I have a milestone birthday coming up and this just made it to the short list

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Got to climb down into the driver's compartment of one. That was fun.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's cool. I get to see F-35's every day, but tanks are seen seldom.
s/

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

try going to the FT Hood website and sending an email to the Post PAO and ask if they are going to do any displays now that the COVID restrictions are being eased.

There are two Museums on Post 1CD and 3CR that have some US and Russian tanks on display. i believe you can get a post pass at the visitor center. call before you drive down though, i'd hate to have you turned around at the gate.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Cool photo and the DriveTanks info looks neat, too.

In late 1987 or early 1988, I was given the assignment of designing an M1A1 engine test stand foundation for the armor center at Fort Knox. I wanted to go up and get a good look at it, but they weren't willing to pay for the long drive or a plane ticket, so I designed it off of the test stand schematics and the info they supplied about the engine. I was concerned about vibration effects, but my design supposedly worked fine and they never let me go up to see it in action. To this day, I've still never seen an M1 Abrams (of any variety) in person but I'm hoping to build a model of one sometime after I finish the M4 Shermans I'm working on now.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I would think at FT Hood, if you can get on post, you can drive Range Road (or whatever they call it now) to North Fort Hood and see Bradleys and Abrams shooting, depending on the time of year.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
Cool photo and the DriveTanks info looks neat, too.

In late 1987 or early 1988, I was given the assignment of designing an M1A1 engine test stand foundation for the armor center at Fort Knox. I wanted to go up and get a good look at it, but they weren't willing to pay for the long drive or a plane ticket, so I designed it off of the test stand schematics and the info they supplied about the engine. I was concerned about vibration effects, but my design supposedly worked fine and they never let me go up to see it in action. To this day, I've still never seen an M1 Abrams (of any variety) in person but I'm hoping to build a model of one sometime after I finish the M4 Shermans I'm working on now.

This is just the 2nd time Ive seen them on the rail. At a car show and swap meet, back in NY State, Norwich,NY, Dan Wesson country, there was a MiA1 with rounds sitting out for observation. It is quite a monster. I never did hear it start up when they loaded it upon a equipment trailer.

posted Hide Post
The world's most survivable tank (not the most protected but most survivable).

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's a damn beautiful machine

love the whiny roar of that engine! 'Merica !

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post