SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thumann’s Braunschweiger – and condiments
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumann’s Braunschweiger – and condiments Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My favorite Braunschweiger has long been Thumann’s. A big round loaf, from which the clerks cut slices to my preferred thickness.

And several months ago I noticed that my grocery offers Thumann’s condiments too. The “Düsseldorf” mustard is now my favorite. Its list of ingredients is identical to French’s Classic Yellow. But less vinegar, and the “spices” components are obviously different.

The Creamy Horseradish Sauce is wonderfully good too. Much different than any other horseradish that I know of.

http://www.thumanns.com/products_condiments.html

One caveat: The cap on the condiments is poor – messy dispensing. But the much better cap of the large (40% more) French’s mustard fits onto the Thumann’s condiments, so I use that cap.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this at lunchtime, sir ! ! ! Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ate many a braunschweiger sandwich in my younger days. Back in college, I used to work some weekends/holidays on a ranch for extra money, and braunschweiger with mustard on white bread was the usual lunch fare offered to us while working.

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I once met Arnold Braunschweiger...... nice guy...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Usingers has long been a favorite. Available in many German delis.

https://www.usinger.com/

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Braunschweiger is nasty stuff.

I looked up the etymology of the name and learned it is the combination of the German "braunsch" which means "a small, flowing stream" (i.e., a "branch") and "weiger" which means "blended Scotch whiskey" because even Germans know it takes a flowing stream of Scotch to make it edible.

The only thing worse than Braunschweiger is how my father liked it: on rye with a slab of white onion, yellow mustard, and mayonnaise, washed down with a coffee mug full of Johnny Walker Red Label.

I eat it nonetheless, mostly in memory of my father, and because there is little in life you can't enjoy if you consume a flowing river of Scotch.

Cool Big Grin

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like to have Braunschweiger spread/liverwurst on crackers with cheese a couple times a year.

Trouble is I like to drink copious amounts of beer with it. Cool

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Braunschweiger (named after Braunschweig, Germany) is the name for several types of sausages in different regions. In the German language, Braunschweiger is the demonym for people from Brunswick (German name, Braunschweig), but under German food law refers to a variety of mettwurst.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...nschweiger_(sausage)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bread, yellow mustard, and slice(s) of yellow sweet onion.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The “Düsseldorf” mustard is now my favorite. Its list of ingredients is identical to French’s Classic Yellow. But less vinegar, and the “spices” components are obviously different.

German mustard or "Senf" as it's called in German tends to be hotter than American or French kinds.

A co-worker went to Germany last Christmas and brought me back a couple metal squeezey tubes of it, I love that stuff on brats and hot dogs.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
There is a firm in Austell Georgia that makes a smoked liverwurst.

This stuff is incredible. Rye bread, spicy mustard,and swiss cheese. So Good!

https://www.patakmeats.com/

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff.

There's a butcher shop that I pick-up sausages from, and their Braunschweiger/liverwurst is pretty tasty. Now, I've got a craving.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Marconi Bakery Bread, mayo, lettuce, fresh tomato.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
cheap braunschweiger is the wurst

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
...and there IS a difference between braunschweiger and liversausage. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I like topping it with my home made pickled red onions.

On home made rye, of course.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

TRUTH ! Big Grin

No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
And several months ago I noticed that my grocery offers Thumann’s condiments too. The “Düsseldorf” mustard is now my favorite.

I'll have to try the Thumann's. I've been using Alstertor Dusseldorf Style mustard and love it. It seems to be available at most Publix stores.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I like to have Braunschweiger spread/liverwurst on crackers with cheese a couple times a year.

Trouble is I like to drink copious amounts of beer with it. Cool

Trouble?

What trouble?

Wink

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Trouble is the next morning...Phew!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post