SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House on slab...good or bad?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House on slab...good or bad? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If a basement isn't out of the question financially, I'd go that direction.

If you go slab, make sure and have an engineer check it out. A lot can go wrong with an improperly poured slab. Good ones are great, poor ones will be problematic year after year.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's how they all are built here in Texas ~ no basements, etc.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
My home was built on a slab in 1970 and I’ve been living in it for 22 years. Rain, snow, sleet and temperatures that vary from minus teens to triple digits there have been no issues with the home.

The only downside that I see with a home built on a slab is the lack of storage.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Depends on the area of the country and the soil beneath the slab. In the Houston area, if you're on a slab (as most homes are, including my own) it's not a matter of 'if' you're going to have foundation problems, it's 'when'. Foundation companies in this area of the country never lack for work.

But some places, the soil is sufficiently stable that it's not an issue.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Slab houses seem to be more popular in coastal states where they don't want to find alligators under the house or porch that aren't supposed to be there.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My employer moves me every couple of years so I've owned 2 homes with basements, 2 post tensioned slab foundations, and 1 home with footings and a crawl space (I hated it). My current home is a post tensioned slab foundation and it's the predominant foundation style in the Houston area due to our highly expansive clay soils.
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Basements are the deal. I doubt I'll ever have another home without one, with such easy access to the plumbing and utilities, the extra storage, the boonker...
They're great if the site is a good candidate for a basement. In the Upper midwest where I grew up there are way too many builders building houses with basements in too wet of areas and with very cheap drain tile systems that are plugged a year or two after construction.

If the site isn't a good fit for a basement and they put in a basement anyway then they should put in a basement system that captures water whether it comes through the wall or comes from beneath the floor with both an electric sump pump and battery back-up pump. At my Dad's house, he was told that doing it at original construction would've been 1/5 the cost of what he spent retrofitting one (jackhammering out interior perimeter's floor, installing drain system, repouring concrete, cutting a hole in house, and trenching to a low spot that slopes away from home).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My Texas homes were all on slab, with the Dallas area being a post tension due to the expanding clay. No problems.

Utah, had a walk out basement.

Had water infiltrate the basement home as we were trying to sell it.

South Carolina on a crawlspace, and it is a royal pain in the ass. About to spend $8K to encapsulate that crawlspace to control the fucking humidity, so my wood floors don't cup.

Never again will I have a crawlspace.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Your foundation and floor system is largely based on your site and your location. Many sites call for a slab on grade, many call for a basement, and others call for a crawlspace. Some flat site will give you the choice of a slab on grade and a crawlspace. Also, SOGs are better in warmer climates because the ground doesn't freeze and thaw as often. SOG can also be cold on your feet in the winter.

SOGs are simple and solid if they have the right soil and vapor barrier underneath. As someone mentioned, you don't have access to your underground plumbing so you'll have to do slab work if something goes wrong. The other thing is that your hvac equipment will be in the attic or a closet instead of a crawlspace. This is good for access but takes up SF. Ductwork also needs good insulation and might not be as efficient as ducts run in a climate steady crawlspace.

SOGs are cheaper to build, and faster. In your inspection, ask your inspector what he thinks of them and what his method for looking for cracks is.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never buy another house on a slab. A crawl space if necessary but not a slab.

Posts: 971 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A crawl space works much better. With slabs, there are many more problems with bugs getting inside the house. Crawl space houses are also better for plumbing repair.

-c1steve

Posts: 4062 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with a slab. No matter how much ammunition you accumulate the closet floor will never sag.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
A crawl space works much better. With slabs, there are many more problems with bugs getting inside the house. Crawl space houses are also better for plumbing repair.

HOW? With a crawlspace bugs can get into the house any little void on the bottom of the entire floor of the house. You usually have a plywood and wood floor and all sorts of voids for bugs to come in, if they don't eat the floor itself (termites, etc.) Not to mention the wild animals that take refuge in the crawl space and breed like rats.

With a slab, the entire floor is poured concrete without any voids except where plumbing comes out of the slab and those are and should be sealed. The walls are stucco'd or CBS all of the way up to the roof usually (unless some sort of siding is used). The only place bugs will generally come in is through a door.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
The house I just sold was a slab. The new house I built in on a crawl space. Concrete is HARD and Cold. The give of a wood floor over joists is so much better on the feet.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We have a slab. Oh great, now I'm worried about plumbing breaking in the concrete. Thanks guys Smile

Not sure if it would be worse, but we get ants (annoying persistent) and some creepy crawlies in the house. Would love to know how they get in. Perhaps it would be worse if we didn't have a slab but some do still get in somehow, somewhere.

That said, I think I still prefer slab over elevated like our previous residence. We're mostly wall to wall carpet and I like concept of a solid floor.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Shin splints? There are some excellent linoleums which will made a concrete floor bearable.

My ex- is from a slab background. Coming east, among the first things I noticed is the way she walks - thumps - across wooden floors. Walking gently or softly is not a developed skill in some areas.

She's back to slabbing it. Her and mom both wear shoes in the house.

As far as water lines embedded in concrete, they should last 60 years or so before pinholes become an issue. Then you repipe the house from the attic. Pex would be specified on most bids, and it is not expensive.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with a slab, and some soils and conditions require them.

Just like any other house, there are good foundations and bad ones.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A slab built to code will have plastic sheeting ( visqueen )between the soil and the concrete . NO moisture transfer . And we don't build slab foundations because we're scared of alligators living under the house . Geeezz .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
My Texas homes were all on slab, with the Dallas area being a post tension due to the expanding clay. No problems.

Utah, had a walk out basement.

Had water infiltrate the basement home as we were trying to sell it.

South Carolina on a crawlspace, and it is a royal pain in the ass. About to spend $8K to encapsulate that crawlspace to control the fucking humidity, so my wood floors don't cup.

Never again will I have a crawlspace.

We have a crawlspace that is conditioned. The current code when the house was built a few years ago was no vents, heat and air, and encapsulated.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

You forgot to add...
"And easier for rodents to make their home in"

I live in a 4 season State, have a basement and it has no issues. Like others have said slab construction s a PIA for plumbing repairs. I didn't see anyone mention that your heating source (gas or oil furnace) will be located on the same level as your living space, unless you go the expensive electric heat route. That in my opinion causes more noise, possible fumes and Carbon Monoxide leaking into your living space. Unlikely to happen if you have a basement.

Personally, I could never live in a home hat doesn't have a basement.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My parents live on a slab house in St.Augustine. Alls great until you have plumbing problems, then your hosed pardon the pun. They might have to have the house re-piped thru the walls and the attic space. Trashed the kitchen floor tiles. I wouldn't buy a slabbed house with copper piping.

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post