SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House on slab...good or bad?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House on slab...good or bad? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
We are planning on downsizing. We are looking at a house built on a slab foundation. For the last twenty years we have had a basement but we don’t feel like we need a basement any longer and found this open floor plan house built on a slab. Is this something we should avoid? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Our 4 floor 110 year old beach house is on a slab...still going strong despite being built on what’s basically a giant sand bar.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Plumbing failures may lead to breaking up the slab.
Cold floors and possible moisture issues.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8138 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it should be fine. Just about every house in Florida is built on a slab.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It would depend.

Is it a conventional footing and stem wall foundation that a slab was poured in? Is it a mono pour? or something else?.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

A good summary. Cold winters, and wet soil, will transmit through the concrete readily.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
All slabs are not created equal. There are a number of ways of pouring a slab, better ways, cheaper ways.

Also, a great deal depends on the soil it is poured onto. Some soils are very difficult to stabilize.

Decades ago, when I was involved in these things in San Diego, it was said that the definition of a coward was a soils engineer in San Diego who gave it up to go fight the Ruskies in Afghanistan.

Get some expert evaluation.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
No basements here. Unless it's on pilings, it's on a slab.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There are good and bad points to both types of construction. In some parts of the country one type or the other are more prevalent. There aren’t many houses with basements in Houston or New Orleans. I’d suggest that you not buy a house with any type of foundation built on a swelling clay soil.

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
All slabs are not created equal. There are a number of ways of pouring a slab, better ways, cheaper ways.

Also, a great deal depends on the soil it is poured onto. Some soils are very difficult to stabilize.

Decades ago, when I was involved in these things in San Diego, it was said that the definition of a coward was a soils engineer in San Diego who gave it up to go fight the Ruskies in Afghanistan.

Get some expert evaluation.

"Hey, I have a great idea - let's build on the clay hillside of Mt. Soledad"
"Gee, I don't know, where can we find a soils engineer who'll pass the analysis? "
"Don't worry, I know a guy - and he works for the city!!"
"Boom baby, we're gonna be rich"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There are many millions of apartments and commercial properties built on a slab. I would not worry about it. Slabs are also cheaper for insurance.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
How often does KY see tornados? They are essential around my parts.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

A good summary. Cold winters, and wet soil, will transmit through the concrete readily.

As long as the house is properly graded, there shouldn't be any wet soil underneath the slab, no way for it to get there. The ground under the slab is relatively warm since the slab is sitting on top of it. Shouldn't have moisture issues either if done properly.

Plumbing issues aren't a problem anymore either. I had the cast iron drain pipes replaced on a 4 plex I own, they simply tunnel under it. They shoot water in there and have a vacuum that sucks out the water/dirt slurry, replaced the pipes, installed hangers into the slab from underneath, and the same vacuum machine shoots gravel back into the tunnel/hole like it never happened. 2 guys made the tunnel under the 2600 sq foot 1 story building, replaced all of the drain piping, and filled the hole back up in 5 days.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
All my rental properties are on a slab.

Less potential issues.

But my house has a basement, and I like it.

I think you just need to understand how much shit is in the basement and where it’s gonna go in the new house (if it makes it in at all) without a basement.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of siggers
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just built a 3500 square foot home and it is on a post tension slab. We live in Oklahoma so the tornado shelter is something we wanted. No basement, but the tornado shelter is cut into the floor of the garage in between the cars. Will hold about 7 people.

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless"

Posts: 690 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife and I are pack rats so a basement is a must to store all the stuff. Another big advantage for a basement as pointed out in a couple of the previous responses is a safer place to go during a tornado. Also it is a comfortable place to stay in during a summer power outage because it stays cool.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
From a structural standpoint a slab is fine.
From a practical and selling standpoint there are other considerations.
My first house was a 4 bedroom on a slab with a 2 car garage.
Our cars ended up parked outside. Storage was the problem. A basement could have provided more space or been finished into more living space. Not on a slab.
Cushioning on a slab is essential if you have joint problems and hardwood floors have to deal with potential moisture issues and have no flexibility. Not a good combo as you age.
People who live near the coast or building where there is a lot of bedrock don’t have an option.
I would never own any other slab home anywhere a basement is an option.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigMaverick:
I think you just need to understand how much shit is in the basement and where it’s gonna go in the new house (if it makes it in at all) without a basement.

This. Fully agree that the basement holds a bunch of crap, so get ready. We miss having a basement. We've owned 5 homes with the previous two having basements. The homes without basements have been concrete slab. Agree with concern about soil, grading and slab construction. Current home is newer construction with post-tension concrete slab, no issues at all.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Basements are the deal. I doubt I'll ever have another home without one, with such easy access to the plumbing and utilities, the extra storage, the boonker...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
our old house in NC was built on pillars, we moved to TX and the house is on a slab, I saw them pulling cable into tension as the place was being built and I asked why?

Turns out the ground (clay) shrinks BIGLY here and causes problems...the tensioned slab is the way to go....also uses you sprinkler to keep the soil near the slab moist.

I grew up in Fla and my home was built on posts around 1930's, dad added new sections over time and they were both slabs. the only thing is you have to think out your stuff before pouring-piping, water lines..etc

my older bro had his water lines replaced as the galvanized pipe was starting to die...my dad ran pvc under the driveway in under and hour with nothing more than a hose and jet tip for a hose and a shovel

I wouldn't worry about a slab.

What I would worry about is where are you gonna put all the shit you've got in that basement now?? After moving recently I found that my "paring down" didn't get to the absolute bare minimum...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post