SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Friday dinner ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Friday dinner ideas Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
To be honest, I was just going to go cheap and bake up some fish sticks tonight, but on short notice I'll be having company.

So, I'll need something a little more fancy. I was thinking of this crab and prawn ravioli in a seafood bisque. It looks awfully tasty paired with a fresh Italian bread. But, I could go somewhat simpler and just whip up a spinach quiche.

Any other ideas? What's everyone else having?

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are going out for fish and chips tonight.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, that's a step up from fish sticks!
I'm drooling already. I think either option would be lovely, and I hope you have a place set for me as well Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Either way, there will be plenty of leftovers. Smile

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
A huge cowboy cut ribeye and a loaded baked potato sounds mighy good right about now.
Who was the member who would post pics of his steaks with the quarter beside them for thickness comparison?

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I think my local grocery store (King Soopers, owned by Kroger) is trying to torture me. They have Rib Eye roasts on sale for $5.00 per pound. I picked up a 6.3 pounder yesterday. It will sit in my fridge or freezer until Monday. Can't wait to dig into it!

Sorry for the drift, I got nothin for Friday night dinner ideas.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Havarti cheese.
Bacon.
Lettuce.
Tomato.
Mayo.
Toasted rye bread with Caraway seeds.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good Friday gentlemen.

I'm not the best Catholic in the world, but I'm trying. Wink

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I think my local grocery store (King Soopers, owned by Kroger) is trying to torture me. They have Rib Eye roasts on sale for $5.00 per pound. I picked up a 6.3 pounder yesterday. It will sit in my fridge or freezer until Monday. Can't wait to dig into it!

For the love of god, don't freeze it if it only needs to sit until Monday!!

As for dinner ideas, there are many. Tonight we are having hot dogs on the grill with homemade onion rings.

If you need something fancy-ish for your guests this evening, I guess it depends on how much effort you're willing to go to.

I like a nice lobster risotto as an appetizer, or pan-seared sea scallops. Crab cakes are another good option, there were very recently some excellent recipes floating around on here. Escargot are another favorite here, sauteed in butter & garlic and served properly in escargot dishes with fresh parsley and grated parmesan or grana padano on top. The preferred accompaniment for those in this house are the Pillsbury butter crescent rolls with a chunk of brie wrapped inside of them.

Entree could be grilled lobster tails. Another option is homemade ravioli. I made a lobster & crab-stuffed ravioli with sage brown butter sauce for a SF party last year and it was a huge hit.

If you do dessert, Tiramisu is an pretty easy hit. Serve it in rocks glasses. If you have the equipment, homemade cannoli are always nice. Creme brulee is another crowd favorite, though that takes more time than you probably have. I usually make that the night before.

Edited to make it Good Friday-friendly.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beer? That's what I'm having.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
crab cakes standing by.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cod filets, baked potatos, and fresh artichokes here. Don't do artichokes? Saute some fresh spinach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coddies and beer...that's what Maryland does (on Good Fridays.)

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

For the love of god, don't freeze it if it only needs to sit until Monday!!

SNIP.

Please, Please listen to exx. If you must freeze it for some strange reason, cut into steaks and then freeze, preferably using a vacuum sealer. You will ruin that hunk of meat by freezing it. Crystals will form in it damaging the meat.

Nice steal on the prices though, I was supper excited on the last one I bought at $6.99 per pound boneless.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Shrimp scampi is quick and easy.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Home made lasagna tonight.... Cooking as I type

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I made toasted cheese and acorn squash soup.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
My daughter and I made toasted cheese and acorn squash soup.

That sounds fabulous. Would you be willing to post the recipe?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, please.

Also want to know what Gustofer went with, the bisque or the quiche?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boiled crawfish with corn and red potatoes. Easter means crawfish season!

Add cold, cold beer and mix with several of your favorite people. Never fails to please all involved.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post