SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Friday dinner ideas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Friday dinner ideas Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yes, please.

Also want to know what Gustofer went with, the bisque or the quiche?

I went with the ravioli and bisque and I am so glad I did. As it's description mentions, it was "divine". A bit on the rich side given the heavy cream, but wow was it good. I just used regular shrimp though as my little grocery store doesn't carry prawns. Still excellent.

Sides of salad, sauteed zucchini with mushrooms, and fresh homemade Italian bread slathered with real olive oil, butter, and sauteed garlic. The real treat was a dozen fresh oysters on the Egg, drizzled with the same EVOO/butter/garlic mixture and sprinkled generously with Parmesan.

Good Lord, we ate like royalty tonight and it was fantastic. I spent a few hours in the kitchen today but it was worth it.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
A little late but I really enjoyed some baked clams for dinner last night.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Sounds good! What kind of ravioli?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Sounds good! What kind of ravioli?

I used this recipe.

I altered it a little as I wasn't able to find any fish stock, so I got four packages of shrimp flavored ramen and used the seasoning packets as a bullion. It worked great.

Somewhat time consuming to put it all together, and probably an intermediate level, but oh so tasty. Highly recommended.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Yes, please.

Also want to know what Gustofer went with, the bisque or the quiche?

I went with the ravioli and bisque and I am so glad I did. As it's description mentions, it was "divine". A bit on the rich side given the heavy cream, but wow was it good. I just used regular shrimp though as my little grocery store doesn't carry prawns. Still excellent.

Sides of salad, sauteed zucchini with mushrooms, and fresh homemade Italian bread slathered with real olive oil, butter, and sauteed garlic. The real treat was a dozen fresh oysters on the Egg, drizzled with the same EVOO/butter/garlic mixture and sprinkled generously with Parmesan.

Good Lord, we ate like royalty tonight and it was fantastic. I spent a few hours in the kitchen today but it was worth it.

Well, that's it. It's on my to try list. Thanks for listing the tweak, too. Btw, what is double cream?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, that's it. It's on my to try list. Thanks for listing the tweak, too. Btw, what is double cream?

The closest thing we have in the states is heavy cream, preferably lightly pasteurized. Double cream found in the UK has even more fat than our heavy cream and is lightly pasteurized, if at all.

Posts: 2366 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find fish stock? Probably not exactly the same, but our grocery sells seafood stock in cartons on the shelf in the soup aisle next to the beef, chicken, and vegetable stock. I'd have done that before the ramen thing. Those thing are LOADED with sodium! I'm certainly no health nut, but I don't unnecessarily go overboard. Lol

Looks good though, I'll have to try it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, my little store has chicken, beef, and veggie, but no seafood/fish stock. I actually found it odd as I'm often quite surprised at some of the obscure things they do carry for a one-horse town dinky little grocery store. I do agree with the salt (and likely MSG) thing, but I was in a pickle and made do.

If anyone tries it, I hope you like it. I'm sometimes hesitant to give out recipes that I really enjoy, as everyone's tastes are different. Some might think what I like is nasty (the weird food thread comes to mind).

I'll recommend it, but YMMV. Wink

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
quote:

The closest thing we have in the states is heavy cream, preferably lightly pasteurized. Double cream found in the UK has even more fat than our heavy cream and is lightly pasteurized, if at all.

Of course, I should've been tipped off by the litres and the prawn. I was thinking Australian.
Thanks.

"Trust, but verify."

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
OMG.
Made this (the bisque) today. This was fabulous. Thanks for the tipoff.

"Trust, but verify."

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Great ain't it?

I'll definitely be making this again.

It's just one of those recipes that make your jowel glands go "WTF". Big Grin

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, well, it helps that I have a soft spot for most any bisque...oh, I love it when my taste bud's expectations are rewarded! Thanks again Smile
I'll actually have to make another batch really soon here! (This is all low cal, right?).

"Trust, but verify."

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
(This is all low cal, right?).

Of course! Roll Eyes Big Grin