SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on laminate floor repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on laminate floor repair Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Our house in San Diego has Quick-Step laminate floors. In the living room is an area about 9 feet long, about 12-18 inches wide (2-3 boards) that are buckled where the boards join on the sides. The buckling raises the joint about 1/4 inch above the floor level.

The floor was like this when we bought the house; we don’t know if there was previous water penetration of the laminate.

The boards do not appear damaged themselves, but they clearly don’t fit any longer into the restricted space.

This area is under a skylight, and about a foot from the fireplace hearth.

I’ve watched YouTube videos on repairing laminate floors; it looks like you either have to lift all the flooring between the wall and the damaged area, or cut out the damaged boards, cut off the tongue side, and use cyanoacrylate glue on the cut edges.
I have the right tools to do the job, I think, including a plunging track saw for cutting out the old boards. I also have enough replacement boards to replace six or so board if necessary.

My question is: can water swell the boards enough to cause this buckling without any apparent damage to the boards themselves? If so, and if that is adequate explanation for the buckling, I would feel OK about tackling it. But if there is a problem with the floor under the laminate, then it would be better for me to hire a professional.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Wood expands more across the grain than with the grain when the relative humidity changes. Laminate floors require ½" or so around the perimeter to allow for this. Also, the floor should 'float' - not be attached to its substrate.

I've only done one room in laminate overlay. That was about 10 yrs ago but it's still good. (I'm by no means an expert and am deferring to any real experts.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion it is worth a shot to pull it up and take a look at it and see if you can repair it. My first thought was no gap at the wall as Jim mentioned.

If you can't repair it, then you will have to replace all of it, you won't find a match even if you can match the sty;e and color because the manufacturers always change how they attach as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When ex and I bought my house in 2003 (PQ area), she installed some laminate (off the internet (close-out sale) using the cheapest table saw available). I lived with the buckling until this summer - a wood-look porcelain was installed throughout the bottom floor.

1. the tile is hard, noticeably harder than the laminate.

2. the stays cooler - about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than outside until about 3pm

3. cleaning is hella lot easier and and to her credit, my forever wife chose wisely with the look of the tile and the 4" baseboard (which she and I installed)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The floor does float; and I’m pretty sure it was only click-locked into place.
Lifting the floor from one wall to the area buckling as suggested, and leaving a larger space at the edge for horizontal swelling would likely be the best solution, but is more than I am willing to take on.
If I can find a local person experienced at doing it, I’d rather go that route.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post