SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question for those with daughters...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for those with daughters... Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
daughter is 21 now. had her in various sd classes, mostly ground fighting stuff since early teens. she's also been shooting for over a decade now. ohio went constitutional carry so for her 21st birthday i bought her a gun.

she got in one fight in 10th grade, the other girls started it, she finished it. i also got banned from school after picking her up. lol

that principal is gone now, so i'm allowed back inside the school since my son is currently there in 11th grade. he hasn't had to fight yet, but he's been sparring with me and his sister for a long time. I expect him to do the same if someone starts a fight with him.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When my son was in the first grade someone's third grade daughter bounced his head off the pavement a couple of times. I pointed out to the principal that this goes well beyond the normal schoolyard altercation. She assured me she'd be all over it with both feet.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My daughter is almost 37 and is familiar with firearms. I honestly don't know if she concealed carries or not. I'll have to find out.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a bad video. I've been troubled by Laken Riley's murder, too.

AVOIDANCE: Couldn't agree more with ZSMICHAEL & PASig. Public schools in urban areas are done and should be AVOIDED at all costs. Get your kids out. Home school. Private school. Christian school.

My girls are young adults. I TOLD them, "No cities." I know not everyone can do that, but because we live in the rural South, they will not be setting foot in Memphis or Little Rock.

I have taught my girls how to shoot. Both now have CCW licenses and carry daily. I did pay for both of them to get additional firearms training from another instructor. Sometimes they need to hear from someone besides dad.

Rifle training is next. Probably by June, 2024. After we're done, I will gift each of them with a rifle on the condition that they both buy gunsafes.

I've also trained them as best I can on situational awareness, avoidance, emergency exit strategies, "Avoid, Deny, Defend," judicious use of deadly force, and what to do and expect after a shooting. It was fairly informal. We've had long dinner table discussions. They actually enjoyed it & had tons of questions.

I've given them basic TECC med training, and built them both small bags with TQs, combat bandages, gauze, and coflex wrap. Their bags also contain Life Straws, emergency blankets, & flashlights.

More to the point on the St. Louis video, I admit that the big gap in what I've tried to do for my girls is the lack of any kind of combatives training. I've let them down in this area big time. I think meat & potatoes Krav Maga is the best, and it doesn't have to be complicated. Basic punches, kicks, elbow strikes, how to excape headlocks & chokes, how to deal with being on the ground, & how to get back up. Just as important, we need to tell our girls to expect to be hit, how to mentally accept being hit, how to take the pain, & how to focus being pissed off into a good counter response. Hope these suggestions help.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I get your point and think some self-defense training would be ideal.

But from a real world perspective, pick the low hanging fruit for the best return on effort.

That means awareness and avoidance are by far the best return on investment.

^^^^ THIS

Not that some physical training can't help but there is only so much a small, weak female can accomplish.
Awareness along with some firearm training can go a long way.
Especially, situational awareness.

Add another vote for awareness.

My daughter and her friends were good kids and pretty naive. One day when my daughter was about 17 or 18, she told me of an incident where a guy was hitting on one of her friends, got her in a corner, and was grinding against her.

It didn't go further than that, but I was pretty pissed when I found out about it - and it wasn't even my daughter. (They told one of my boys what had happened and wanted him to promise not to tell anyone. To his great credit, he said "Screw that. I'm telling Dad.") My wife and I had a "facts of life" talk with my daughter about awareness, learning how to say "No" in no uncertain terms, calling for a ride, calling for help, etc.

I also insisted she take some self-defense training, but she was not too enthused about it and stopped going after a couple of months. But, I think the talk about awareness did help her because she never had any problems in college.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
The thread about the young girl in St. Louis that was so badly injured by another person has me wondering what parents on this forum have done to prepare their daughters for surviving these types of possible situations...

If you're referring to the black female that nearly killed the white girl, I don't think once shit started that there was a lot she could have done. Looked like the black girl outweighed the victim by a significant amount. Hell, I'm not sure I could have handled her at my age. Women can be surprisingly strong. Self-defense training can't hurt, I guess, but someone has to be interested enough to put in the time and effort. Avoidance is going to be the best policy, if at all possible.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
After several decades I still find it amazing to see a police cruiser stationed outside the govt run high school, my kids went parochial

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t think there is a meaningful form of female unarmed self-defense.

The old “movie” stuff about stomping in steps with high heels/hitting someone in the head with the tip of a heel, would probably work, along with “scratching eyes” but nothing else is likely to do so.

My fiancée is fairly aware, but she’s also spent a lot of time in societies which kept women very protected. (And I get why she misses women’s only gyms, beaches, etc, at times.)

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My daughter began karate classes when she was in elementary school, and I took them with her until my neck required surgery. The sensei was a friend of ours from church, and the classes were done at church. His teaching style was that we would learn what was needed to survive on the street, not win awards in staged competition!

As a yellow belt (the stage where I had to quit due to cervical fusion), I knew how to seriously injure or kill someone with my bare hands if necessary, so what we did wasn't for show!

She continued until late elementary school when major hip surgery put her in a wheelchair for six months.

Aside from that, she started shooting with me starting around 11-years old, so she could handle my pistols, my .22 rifles, and my AR-15.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I don’t have daughters, but my son is a black belt.

We sent him to karate at 6 yo. He got his black when he was 10.
Any color belt before that is literally just building up to the skills needed for black. The school he’s in now realize that training/learning begins at black belt. He’s been one for 5 years and he’s big enough no one could just pick him up and run off with him. He also has the skills to fight back and he’s big enough where he can hurt someone.

With my CG LE training & police training and the limited state approved grips, holds and strikes and seeing the karate, the kid learned, I’d lean toward BJJ. Most fights wind up on the ground anyway, might as well be able to do something from there.

I’d give my kid a can of OC and an impact weapon to hide in a backpack only to come out if needed. And teaching them to avoid stuff/trouble is priceless.

Lemme repeat that, teaching them to avoid stuff/trouble is priceless.

Teach them to be aware of their surroundings, and they can avoid most trouble

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My daughter went through TKD early and advanced pretty far. Those skills were more about discipline and conditioning however but she wanted to do BJJ after awhile.

I did tell her if she ever got cornered by (male or female), remember that knees only work one way and her leg kick training will easily overcome the largest adversary whether with a leg sweep or front kick.

Hard to chase someone when your knee bends the other way.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
3 daughters, all are well versed in pepper spray, but that is about it. I have preached situational awareness and getting their heads out of their phones, they do, sort of. We luckily live in a pretty safe area but when the 23 yr old visits Chicago, which is a lot, I have to remind her to be aware.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My wife took boxing for a couple years when we lived in Orlando, it's been a few years off but I got her back to the gym 2 times a week for kickboxing. Our daughter started kickboxing a month ago. She's only 8 so she's still at the point of not really understanding. At this point I think she sees it as something she has to get through so she can hang out with the other kids after class while the parents are training.

I would never recommend today's TKD or karate or any other McDojo blackbelt factory where a 10 year old gets a black belt. That's instilling false confidence in them. They'd get wiped out by a kid similar age/size who has trained just a few months in boxing, kickboxing, wrestling or BJJ. The thing with the last 4 arts I just mentioned is they're pressure tested. BJJ in particular, most schools are sparring a lot towards the end of class. That's why people get good at it fast. Ground fighting is very different from the universal fight plan of punching. Doesn't mean you have to stay on the ground if the fight gets there but at least it gives you more options. What I have seen from kids who train in BJJ is they're not paralyzed by fear and are not overly trying to avoid going to the ground or avoid physical contact.

I have trained many years in kickboxing and BJJ. Have also trained a little bit in hapkido and wing chun. The biggest danger is letting them, or anyone of us here, believe that the techniques and fancy shit all work against a younger, larger, faster and more aggressive attacker.

The shit you see on tv about a strike to the groin being a fight stopper is all tv.

Most of us here are armed with a gun. Without the proper distance, you will never get to your gun on time in an attack unless you create distance.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Most of us here are armed with a gun. Without the proper distance, you will never get to your gun on time in an attack unless you create distance.
The cane-fu master who instructed us discussed this. He noted that he always carries a gun, but the cane is already in his hand and he does not have to waste time reaching for a holstered gun.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My youngest daughter took kickboxing after her boss began training. Turns out she is really skilled at it. She paricipated in college athletics prior to that.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have two daughters in their early 30s. They're both small and I worry about them both.

The younger is athletic, is familiar with firearms, has done a little self-defense training, and carries pepper spray and, at times, a pocket knife. She knows to avoid, to flee if needed, and to fight as a last resort.

The older one avoids weapons of any type and counts on her ability to run away if it ever comes down to it. That worries me since she's built for distance, not speed, but she tries to avoid dangerous situations as her primary defense.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post