SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am a boat owner...again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am a boat owner...again Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Picked it up yesterday. A 1997 Glastron SE170, with a Mercury 130hp 2 stroke outboard. Needs some upholstery work and the paintwork is pretty faded but it seems in pretty good shape for a 24 year old boat. No soft spots, transom is solid, and apart from the normal dock rash the gelcoat looks good.

Going to get it registered tomorrow, pick up some life jackets and hit the water next weekend.

I'll post pics later.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats and condolences on your new:
Bring
Out
Another
Thousand

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. We are hoping to get our toon in soon. Never had one and we bought it last fall. The wife was struggling stepping off the docks into the Searay so the toon will fix that. Just a different experience driving a water plow.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Must be headed to Indian Lake.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Affirmative. Stump hunter. About a 20-25 minute tow from my home.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How's the water pump and are the carbs clean? Are you going to check it over or has it been serviced recently?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
How's the water pump and are the carbs clean? Are you going to check it over or has it been serviced recently?

According to the seller, it's only been in the water once this year since he had it winterized last year and then springerized(?) when it came out of storage. I'll see how she runs and then decide if I need to put it in the shop for a quick service.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your boat!
Personally, before hitting the water on a used boat that I didn't know the history on, I would want it serviced, including oil change (since your engine is a two-cycle, oil change not needed but changing the gear oil would be a good idea), raw water impeller replaced, new plugs - tuneup and perhaps the carbs cleaned as well. Fuel filters replaced, etc. All fresh fuel, too.

I've seen too many boats out at the start of boating season having to be towed back because the engine quit running.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the carburetor reeds checked out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two things I've never desired to own . A boat or a swimming pool . I wish you well and hope you have plenty of good times .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two happyest days in a boat owners life... Day he bought it and....

But, I guess you already heard that joke.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
The two happyest days in a boat owners life... Day he bought it and....

But, I guess you already heard that joke.

Yeah that's kinda like the
B
O
A
T

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on 50% of the happiest days of a boat owners life! heehehehe.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm obviously in the minority, but I terribly miss all the boats I've sold. They were sold in good running condition, with an honest rundown of any deficiencies, quirks, and weird attributes; none ever left me stranded. My only reason for selling them was due to an upgrade in size/amenities. I barely have room for storage of a single boat at a time...and I do intend to keep that one.
s.
Enjoy the boat, and run it a lot; they seem to like that.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Cruising on a still lake on a warm summer evening, just as the sun is setting, after enjoying the lake all day... Perhaps the second best feeling in the world.

The third is a warm evening cruise on a motorcycle. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post