SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Student, 10, punished for calling teacher 'ma'am'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student, 10, punished for calling teacher 'ma'am' Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
It seems you just can't win anymore Roll Eyes

The mother of a 10-year-old boy in North Carolina is outraged that her son was recently punished for calling his fifth grade teacher "ma’am.”

“I was in disbelief,” Teretha Wilson, the boy’s mother, told Fox News on Saturday.

Wilson noticed her son, Tamarion, was not himself when she picked him up from the bus stop earlier this week.

“I asked him what was wrong, and he told me he got in trouble for saying 'ma’am' to a teacher. I was confused,” she said.

Inquiring further, Wilson asked her son to give more detail about the incident. That’s when the fifth-grader at North East Carolina Preparatory School in Tarboro, North Carolina, pulled out a piece of lined paper with the word ma’am written dozens of times.

Wilson was shocked, especially when Tamarion told her that his teacher, who has not been formally identified, told him that he was required to return the piece of paper with a parent’s signature.

The young boy also claimed that the teacher threatened to throw something at him during the incident, his mother said.

“He was disappointed because he felt like he had done something wrong,” she said.

The next afternoon, Wilson went to the school to meet with Tamarion’s teacher and the school's principal. With her she brought a separate piece of paper on which her son had written the definition of ma’am. (According to the Oxford Dictionaries, ma’am is defined as “a term of respectful or polite address used for a woman”).

Wilson claims Tamarion’s teacher told her that her son “was getting on her nerve when he called her ma’am" but “couldn’t give me a reason of why that was bad.” The teacher also claimed Tamarion knew that she wasn’t serious when she allegedly threatened to throw something at him, Wilson said.

Tamarion has been placed in a different teacher’s class since the incident occured.

In a statement to ABC 11, an official with the school called the situation a “personnel matter,” which “has been handled appropriately by the K-7 principal.”

Still, Wilson said she plans to call the school board on Monday to see “if they’re really going to handle it,” though she did not elaborate on what this would entail.

“This is about my child being respectful, then threatened to be hit with something. This isn’t about racism, as some people have made it out to be,” Wilson said, referring to some of the comments on a family member’s Facebook post where she detailed the incident.

Moving forward, Wilson said she has encouraged her son to “always be respectful to [his] elders even if they don’t want to be called ma’am," she said.

“Is this what happens from raising your child in a good way?” she asked.

A spokesperson for North East Carolina Preparatory School did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ng-teacher-maam.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the teacher prefers to be addressed in a more familar manner, such as “shithead”.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Or "asshole". This is VERY surprising, coming from N. Carolina.

We moved to MA when I was in the middle of the 2nd grade. The principle at the school, who was LITERALLY an old maid, informed my mother that I was not required to say Ma'am or Sir. My mother, being STAUNCHLY from the south, informed the old maid otherwise. If memory serves, my actual teacher LOVED it.

The only thing I can surmise, is that this teacher is a friggin' heathen and as a parent, I'd have a thing or two to say to this asshole trying to circumvent what I was teaching at home. This is just about what I'd have to say to him/her...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can still be acting like a smart ass even if the words you say, on their own, would seem innocent. And it wouldn't be the first time a ten year old wasn't completely honest about why he got in trouble. I would rather hear both sides to this one.

(Now the throwing part, if true, is certainly not appropriate).

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Something similar happened to our daughter, early in her HS years. A close family friend, recognizing her potential, sent her to a summer program at a private school in Virginia. She came back all “Yes sir, no sir” and “Yes ma’am, no ma’am.”

That fall she addressed a woman teacher as “ma’am” and the teacher was offended and made a point of telling her so. Jerk

Posts: 13595 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Since JALLEN hasn't made it here yet I'm going to beat him to the punch. Close these ridiculous public schools now. There is nothing of value coming from them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps the teacher prefers to be addressed in a more familar manner, such as “shithead”.

The typical custom here in the Deep South is for children to address adult women as Miss followed by their first name. Not being originally from the South, it was hard for me to accept. It seems to suggest that kids are too stupid or inarticulate to say the last name. Surnames in the South are generally pretty simple to pronounce.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yet another example of why public schools need to be closed

what they laughingly refer to as public education is rapidly approaching the realm of child abuse

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53847 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Tamarion has been placed in a different teacher’s class since the incident occured.
Rather than the appropriate response - Fire the teacher.

quote:
Still, Wilson said she plans to call the school board on Monday to see “if they’re really going to handle it,”

LMFAO. I hope she's not holding her breath for that to happen.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandson's teachers will hunt out their parents and commend them for the fine job they have done raising the boys because the boys will call them ma'am or sir and say yes ma'am or no ma'am.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

The typical custom here in the Deep South is for children to address adult women as Miss followed by their first name.

Being reared in the South and also being a Southerner, I can say that little children usually address teachers as Miss (add first name). And as the kids are getting older, or the teacher explains she likes her last name, they follow what the woman likes.

And I have never met a Southern teacher or any lady for that matter to be upset by being addressed by, "Miss Sally" etc.

now, some people are upset by this custom, but I will have my children address an elder as "Miss, Mrs., Ma'am, Mr. or Sir" and if you don't like it I don't give a damn. That kid is a reflection of me and my wife, and if he acts wrong, you better let me know as I will get that fixed right quick.

And this teacher needs a smack to the face for threatening a kid- if that is in fact what happened.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being raised in Texas, I was expected to use Sir and Ma’am in addressing adults. I still do, 50+ years later. I really don’t care if being a Southern Gentlemen is problematic for others.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I have never met a Southern teacher or any lady for that matter to be upset by being addressed by, "Miss Sally" etc.

You have not met my wife who was born and raised in the South. I am not totally sure why that bothers her so much, I just let it be.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always address people as "sir" and "ma'am". It's a sign of respect. Frequent raps to the back of my head from my father left that indelible impression on me. Heck, the 17 year old girl behind the counter at Wendy's asks me a question, she's getting addressed as "ma'am". I don't want the old man reaching out from the grave to smack me again LOL!

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
No "ma'am"? Another casualty of our brave new egalitarian, monosex, infinisex world. Throw it on the trash heap with "ladylike" and the "feminine mystique".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the young teachers nowaday were never taught, learned, nor deserved any respect. They went to the same school that they are teaching at now.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yes/no ma'am/sir is required at the school I send my children to. So is Mr./Mrs./Dr. <last name>.

Any teacher offended by thks really needs to have her/his head examined.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daily I say ma’am and sir

When assisting customers and they have a child with them I even refer to them as “young Sir or Miss”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
You can still be acting like a smart ass even if the words you say, on their own, would seem innocent.
Well, bless her heart!

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Palm:
You can still be acting like a smart ass even if the words you say, on their own, would seem innocent. And it wouldn't be the first time a ten year old wasn't completely honest about why he got in trouble. I would rather hear both sides to this one.

That's exactly what I was thinking... there could be another side to the story. Don't have a clue, but the kid could be a brat and of course mom thinks he's just an angel who needs more love. But then these days it's all about "the children" and protecting them from anything even slightly difficult in the world.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post