SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think I figured out how Marc Marquez has won so many championships. His quote on the Isle of Man TT is interesting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I figured out how Marc Marquez has won so many championships. His quote on the Isle of Man TT is interesting Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
While being interviewed recently 8 time Motorcycle Grand Prix champion Marc Marquez said some interesting and critical things about the Isle of Man TT. Apparently he is not a fan though he respects the riders.

"I like to have fun, to enjoy riding, to look for the limit; to go to the Isle of Man is to gamble away your life, that's how I see it. I ride bikes to have fun, not to suffer and endanger my life.”

I mean I sort of see what he is saying, the TT is terribly unforgiving when you make a mistake BUT MotoGP takes lives too. And that bit about suffering? How many bones has he broken in GP? What about that damaged shoulder everyone’s been taking about so much? Yes, GP tracks have large gravel areas where you can bleed off speed/energy but I find it amazing he considers MotoGP to be a way he can ride to have fun, find the limit and not suffer or endanger his life.

I suppose he has managed to successfully convince himself that thanks to those large gravel areas and the airbag suit he wears it isn’t really that dangerous. Eek

Link to the interview

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Some people enjoy activities that could possibly take their lives, I never felt they same compulsion. Isle of Man TT is one such activity, you are inches from losing your life. Does it take skill? Sure, along with a bit of lunacy. GP racing I don’t even think is in the same category, yes it’s dangerous if it’s an entirely different level than Isle of Man.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I have been considered somewhat of an adrenaline junkie most of my life. Did the superbike thing then switched to racing in the woods and generally enjoy moderately risky fun. Having said that I cannot believe how those guys can race like that. Insanity IMO. All those guys pushing to the limit on a VERY tough and extremely challenging and dangerous course. I give them props for sure but also think they are a little bit crazy. I LOVE watching them though.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Obviously GP is dangerous, however the TT is a completely different animal. IMO, it is THE most dangerous race - bar none.

Lay it down on the track at GP, you have the potential to decelerate and race again another day.

Something goes wrong at the TT, your potential to impact a medieval wall is high and decelerating is much more rapid, which bodes ill for injury/survival.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Obviously GP is dangerous, however the TT is a completely different animal. IMO, it is THE most dangerous race - bar none.

Lay it down on the track at GP, you have the potential to decelerate and race again another day.

Something goes wrong at the TT, your potential to impact a medieval wall is high and decelerating is much more rapid, which bodes ill for injury/survival.

Totally agree. He knows GP is dangerous and you will break a bone from time to time but someone gets killed almost every year during the Isle of Man.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above. I love watching the TT week, but I’ve never wanted to / fantasized about racing that venue.

And with MM, he has a knack of catching himself when many others would have lost the front end. Thus, it is perhaps easier for him to rationalize a meaningful safety difference between, say, Austin and the Isle of Man?

It’s all relative though, and MotoGP hasn’t been immune to fatalities, even in its current form. Any layperson watching his first MotoGP race will be amazed at the extreme lean angles, speed, struggle for grip, etc. But that same new viewer will have a different reaction when watching a TT lap.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too much in the linked article. My take is he was asked if he would ever race in the TT. I think he is simply responding to that specific question. I did not see anywhere where he said that Moto GP was not dangerous or that it could not be deadly. It seems like he has determined that the risk is too great to him alone and he is not saying that the TT shouldn't be held.

If I were in his shoes with the opportunity to possibly win who knows how many more world championships, I certainly would not risk a career ending injury, or even worse just to say I competed in the TT. I think he is just being smart about knowing his limitations. Who knows, maybe after he has retired from Moto GP he will change his mind on whether or not the risk is worth it to him personally or not.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is almost zero percent margin in the TT for a mistake. GP racing is certainly dangerous, but it's more of a calculated risk. It's also pretty easily arguable that the reward for accepting that risk is greater in MotoGP than in the TT.

The IOMTT used to be part of the world championship but by the early 70s, the speed of the bikes had gotten to the point that the top Grand Prix riders were no longer willing to accept the risk to race there. Many of them boycotted the race and it was dropped from the championship after 1976.

Posts: 2488 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
bigwagon, Mat Oxley (IOM TT winner) wrote a book titled Stealing Speed that covers that topic in great detail. If you can find a copy I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. His knowledge of the TT is encyclopedic. It covers the rise of a Japanese manufacturer (Suzuki) during the glorious two stroke era and parts of this true story read like a spy novel. It’s an absolute shame it hasn’t been made into a movie yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4.40s1nine:
Not too much in the linked article. My take is he was asked if he would ever race in the TT. I think he is simply responding to that specific question. I did not see anywhere where he said that Moto GP was not dangerous or that it could not be deadly. It seems like he has determined that the risk is too great to him alone and he is not saying that the TT shouldn't be held.

If I were in his shoes with the opportunity to possibly win who knows how many more world championships, I certainly would not risk a career ending injury, or even worse just to say I competed in the TT. I think he is just being smart about knowing his limitations. Who knows, maybe after he has retired from Moto GP he will change his mind on whether or not the risk is worth it to him personally or not.

Marc has also had major surgery on both shoulders and almost lost his eyesight.

I read his comments before seeing this thread and said meh. Oldest motorcycle race in the world. It’s always been dangerous. Are people going to quit climbing mountains like Everest? Are people going to stop diving into the water with sharks, or hiking where Grizzlies are notorious? Marc can shut the fuck up on this subject. That’s what the TT riders would tell him. Stay in your lane Marc. The TT riders know the risks, and the consequences more so than anybody in the peanut gallery watching or reading. It’s just a different culture these days. Banning stuff “we don’t need to do this any longer”, whining, meh. Marc has only ridden top shelf machinery that is techno-laden, and massive run offs. It takes a bigger set of balls to win the TT.

Joey Dunlop is one of the greatest motorcycle racers to ever live. He was the King of the Isle of Man. He didn’t even die there.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I just watched some if both, Marc Marquez, and t
Isle of Man. Crazy. I cannot believe how fast they are going. Unbelievable.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
It’s the difference between skydiving and BASE jumping.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
It’s the difference between skydiving and BASE jumping.

More like skydiving to wingsuit flying.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The interwebs are having fun with his quote. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Rightly so. He should have kept his opinions to himself and just comment on MotoGP. Valentino rode the TT course in 2009 or 2010 (at sedate speeds) and said nothing of the sort. He flew out there, did a PR ride and was generally positive about the whole thing and didn’t bag on it like Marc. That’s why most everyone loves Rossi, myself included, and detests Marquez. Now that Puig and HRC are fucking with the crony hire, Marc’s brother, for 2021, I want to see the fireworks. Marc should do what Valentino did, and step on a lesser mfr. and motorcycle and win on it. If Rossi had stayed with HRC like Marc has done, is doing, he’d have 11, 12, or 13 titles by now. Perhaps more.

And Marc fails to understand that MotoGP riders die. One of my favorite of all time, Marco Simoncelli, died in October 2011 on the RCV (Honda) because he lowslided, then the HRC traction control kicked in re-gripping the track and shoved him right into Valentino and Colin’s line, both riders hitting him and killing him. And then there is Dajiro Kato, who showed all sorts of promise and could have gone on to win many races. There have been many others. Yeah GP tracks are safer, but riders still die. Are we going to stop all motorcycle racing?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Just watched a lap.

I hope they sweep those roads before and lock up all the dogs and livestock during the event.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Couple of things:

1. Marquez did NOT call a press conference to denounce the Isle of Man TT....And it's not like he's calling for the race to be banned!

2. This was an interview - He was asked a question on the subject, and gave his opinion....He's certainly entitled to his opinion!

Sooo, why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch over this... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8928 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Couple of things:

1. Marquez did NOT call a press conference to denounce the Isle of Man TT....And it's not like he's calling for the race to be banned!

2. This was an interview - He was asked a question on the subject, and gave his opinion....He's certainly entitled to his opinion!

Sooo, why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch over this... Roll Eyes

Very true. I can’t think of any modern GP rider who has raced the TT in anger. And I don’t hear any modern F1 drivers asking for that series to return to the old Nurburgring.

But though I enjoy watching the TT and it was sad when Joey died (at another venue), I don’t place those particular racers on any special pedestal of bravery. There’s a difference between courage and folly. Trying to justify any form of road racing as “more safe” or “more brave” is a fool’s errand.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've just taken a look at Guy Martin's helmetcam view of the circuit, made back in 2015 - three years before the fastest ever lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

If this doesn't make you think WTH? Then I guess nothing ever will,

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I think MM has balls big enough to say whatever he wants. It’s not like his chosen discipline of racing is super safe...

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post