SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPS preparing for a massive driver strike
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS preparing for a massive driver strike Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Coming into the holiday season....leverage, I suppose.

UPS is preparing for what could be the second-biggest employee strike to hit the delivery company since 1997.

According to a report, Opens a New Window. the Georgia-based parcel service is clearing all of its freight shipments this week to ensure its network is completely empty by Friday, days before a massive strike could potentially start.

Up to 11,000 drivers, who are represented by the Teamsters union, may be on strike as early as Monday morning, as contract negotiations remain at a standstill.

All week, Teamster members across the country have been voting on UPS’ “last, best, and final offer” contract with final votes expected to be tallied on Sunday. If a majority of members do not approve the contract, UPS Freight drivers will not go to work on Monday.

The two parties have been going back and forth on wage increases, better pay for drivers who perform dock work, benefits and restrictions on subcontractors.

While a UPS spokesperson did not immediately respond to FOX Business’ request for comment, they did tell tell Business Insider that the company is preparing for a possible strike.

"The company has now begun discussions with UPS Freight customers to inform them of the potential for service disruption and the need to arrange alternative carriers," UPS said.

What’s more, while UPS has responded to certain demands from union members like keeping the threshold for workers to qualify for a year of pension credit at 1,500 hours instead of increasing it to 1,800, it has not conceded on all their demands.

If the strike happens, it will be the first UPS strike since 185,000 employees held a 16-day walkout in 1997.

A representative for Teamsters did not immediately respond to FOX Business' request for comment.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fe...assive-driver-strike

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
All week, Teamster members across the country have been voting on UPS’ “last, best, and final offer” contract with final votes expected to be tallied on Sunday. If a majority of members do not approve the contract, UPS Freight drivers will not go to work on Monday.

If it's truly the “last, best, and final offer” and they don't show up on Monday, UPS should fire them on Monday. There's no point in dragging it out before hiring replacements.

On Tuesday, they could de-certify the union and offer better pay to non-union drivers. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24124 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Amazon bought all of those Mercedes cargo vans for their own delivery service.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Hopefully Amazon bought all of those Mercedes cargo vans for their own delivery service.

They haven't taken delivery yet. I work for U-Haul & they are renting plenty of them from me in the meantime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that this is only affecting UPS "Freight" which is a less than truckload carrier (LTL). UPS small package division is not going to be affected.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Simply more incentive for UPS to invest in self-driving tech R&D.

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever...
- Kyle Reese, The Terminator

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Of course they are. I just shipped the karma glasses of to archerman via UPS.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

They haven't taken delivery yet. I work for U-Haul & they are renting plenty of them from me in the meantime.
I'm seeing the Mercedes cargo vans delivering exlusively for Amazon. Before it was personal vehicles in their Uber-like delivery model.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mercedes is shipping out their Sprinters as fast as they can. See them logo’d up and on flatbeds all the time here as they’re made just up the interstate from me.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
If it's truly the “last, best, and final offer” and they don't show up on Monday, UPS should fire them on Monday. There's no point in dragging it out before hiring replacements.

I agree. Fire them and find replacements rather than negotiate if it is UPS's final best offer.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Striking right before the holidays could be a double edged sword, if you were to end up unemployed.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
UPS has a website for updating people on the status of the union negotiations:

UPS Freight Members Vote On Offer; UPS Begins Notifying Customers
November 1, 2018

UPS and the Teamsters Freight National Bargaining Committee concluded the current round of discussions on Thursday, October 25. The IBT has conducted two-person committees with each local and a conference call for its members to review changes Thursday, November 1. A union-hall vote, in which employees will go to their local union hall to cast ballots, is expected to take place November 7 – 11.

UPS made an offer that rewards our employees with wages and benefits at the top of the industry and compensates them for their contributions to the company’s success.

We are disappointed that Freight Teamsters union leaders have chosen to announce the potential for a work stoppage. The company must now begin discussions with UPS Freight customers to inform them of the potential for service disruption and the need to consider alternative arrangements prior to November 9. This is to ensure we maintain service to our customers.

Because we do not have a guarantee against a work stoppage, we cannot afford to put our customers’ volume at risk. The last days for pickup will be as follows:

Thursday, November 1 for 5-day shipping commitments
Friday, November 2 for 4- day shipping commitments
Monday, November 5 for 3-day shipping commitments
Tuesday, November 6 for 2-day shipping commitments
Wednesday, November 7 for 1-day shipping commitments

The UPS Small Package National Master Agreement (NMA) has been ratified. Customers can remain confident UPS is ready to continue to serve its small package customers throughout the holiday season and beyond.

https://unionnegotiations.ups....ight_Contract_Update

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24124 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Also note this is only UPS Freight, not the people who normally deliver your goodie boxes.

I learned the hard way that they are very different entities.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Simply more incentive for UPS to invest in self-driving tech R&D.

Or drones...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Is this a situation like the 1981 air traffic controller strike where POTUS could step in, order them to return to work in 48 hours, and if they fail then fire them?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Is this a situation like the 1981 air traffic controller strike where POTUS could step in, order them to return to work in 48 hours, and if they fail then fire them?

UPS workers are not federal employees.

A union cannot simply strike; a strike requires approval and any job action must meet a series of legal thresholds before a strike can be conducted. It's not like the teamsters can simply strike.

By the time a strike has occurred, numerous events have occurred involving mediation and arbitration and failed negotiations. A union doesn't want a strike any more than the employer; strikes are bad all around and only occur when everything else has failed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Bring in the scabs!

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
According to my nephew who works for UPS loading and unloading freight, this is much ado about nothing as the new contract is all but a done deal at this point. I hope he's right because I'd hate to see him impacted by a strike.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

This isn't the UPS division that delivers packages to your door. UPS Freight is an LTL carrier that competes with other freight haulers. Now your local store may not get their shipment of TV's, chairs or any number of other products that ship LTL with UPS.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
A friend who is a manager with FedEx is stating they cannot manage the additional load.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post