SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Dallas for the week what to do?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Dallas for the week what to do? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

I've been fascinated at the Alamo grounds, and San Jacinto as well.

The Alamo and San Jacinto are more understandable to me. Dealy Plaza is less fascinating to my mind. But I mean no slight.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
Class is at Cummins in Arlington and hotel is Grand Prairie

At a loss just following gps around on sensory overload with highways and express lanes and tolls

Seen Fort Worth stockyards In movies and would like to amble over that way
That's not my AO (live in NE Dallas) but am willing to go anywhere a meet is set up.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Was there for a couple days recently, only had a few hours spare time. Two things I enjoyed, Desperado's, I think we were there on Wednesday, $2.25 house margaritas. Cool

"Originally posted by jbcummings:
You said your consulting at Baylor? The one on Gaston Ave?

Try Desparados on Greenville Ave. Take 75 north to the University exit and cut over east to Greenville. Great Tex-Mex, if that fits your tastes."

And the Beretta Gallery in Highland Park. Just happened to stumble on to it. High end, useless shops all around it.

The fella running the place was super friendly, walls of high end over and unders, rifles ETC. He plopped a $40k 92FS in my hand Eek Very cool place

We are going back in June and will be there for about two weeks, three days in the hospital and another 10 days nearby for observation. Don't know ow much exploring I'll get to do.

Posts: 5537 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Jambo BBQ, it's on West Division in Arlington, order the Big Texan sandwich.

If you go over to the Stockyards go to Horseshoe Hill Cafe, try any of the chicken fried steaks.

Mariano's right there by Cummins has pretty solid Mexican food.

Posts: 1186 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay for the weekend and go to the NASCAR race.

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Went with guys from class to redneck heaven.loud boring place with mediocre looking girls. Food was so-so

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Babe's Chicken Dinner House is some good eatin! I usually get the chicken fried steak. Sides are family style and AYCE. The mashed potatoes, cream gravy, and creamed corn are all awesome.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1915 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Babe's Chicken Dinner House is some good eatin! I usually get the chicken fried steak. Sides are family style and AYCE. The mashed potatoes, cream gravy, and creamed corn are all awesome.
^^ THIS ^^

Ate their for the first time in January. Wish I would've known about that place when I lived in DFW for 18 months back in the late 90s.

Warning - don't go there anywhere near your birthday. I went 4 days after mine, my buddy's wife ratted me out, and there is now a pretty goofy video of me floating around.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23656 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I went (once) to the Babe's in Garland abut 10-15 years ago and was very dissatisfied. I thought the chicken was undercooked and I don't eat raw chicken. I never went back. I just looked at the web page for that location and the ratings range from 2 to 5 stars. I don't think I'll go there again. Maybe the one in Arlington is better (one would hope so).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I went (once) to the Babe's in Garland abut 10-15 years ago and was very dissatisfied. I thought the chicken was undercooked and I don't eat raw chicken. I never went back. I just looked at the web page for that location and the ratings range from 2 to 5 stars. I don't think I'll go there again. Maybe the one in Arlington is better (one would hope so).

flashguy

I've never had the chicken there, but the chicken fried steak is pretty much like mom used to make except way larger. I've had their roast beef and fried catfish, both were good. Just don't go when you're just sorta hungry. The sides and the entrees are large for the price.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've been to the Babe's in Cedar Hill a few times and the food was fine, but it was so damn dark in there you almost needed flashlight to find your table. Always made me wonder if they were trying to keep you from seeing something.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:

They were crowded and all the other good places posted were too far away or closed on mondays

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

I've never had the chicken there, but the chicken fried steak is pretty much like mom used to make except way larger. I've had their roast beef and fried catfish, both were good. Just don't go when you're just sorta hungry. The sides and the entrees are large for the price.
My buddy lives about 15 minutes from two different Babe's locations. We dined at the one in Carrollton and ate family style so got to try fried chicken, fried catfish, and hickory chicken. I enjoyed all of them but fried chicken was my favorite.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23656 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Walking around Fort Worth and ate at Risky's the food was good and scenery was nice while sitting on patio.
What kind of birds are the black with a purple tint that make such interesting noises?

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would go to Ray's Guns, The Beretta store and Jackson Armory! Its a gun forum after all.

Then I would cruise the gun books at Half Price Books big store.

Have fun,

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Go over to Ft. Worth and hang with the cool kids.

I'm with JAllen - I'd see the Bush library. Dealy Plaza is good for an hour or two for all but the most obsessed.

I second this! (The FW part)

Fort Worth? Yup!

1) Exotic smoked meat daily special & craft beers on the river at Tim Love's Wood Shed Smokehouse. Trust me have the brussel sprouts (I know, I know...brussel sprouts?" Yes, you will thank me later. Go ahead and valet if you are driving. It's only $5.00.

2) Interested in MLB? Depending on when you are coming I have two great seats with reserved parking at home plate for 1/2 the season on Row #2 by the visitor on deck circle. You are welcome to them if the mighty Rangers are in town. Please let me know.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4502 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:

What kind of birds are the black with a purple tint that make such interesting noises?

That is the great-tailed grackle. That is the male that is that color. The male's call sounds like nothing else. The females are plain brown.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in shooting a match let me know. Saturday morning at Dallas pistol club we have a simple personal protection match. In fact it will be practice for glock match next month. I'll bring you all the gear, just bring ammo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I'm originally from Dallas and one of the places that I took my wife on a trip back was Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum, I'd say it's a must see place. As far as food, I can't really say now since I've been gone for a decade.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatopescado:
I'm originally from Dallas and one of the places that I took my wife on a trip back was Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum, I'd say it's a must see place. As far as food, I can't really say now since I've been gone for a decade.

Planning to go by there today after class

Leaving Friday after class wish I could stay for the weekend