SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Dallas for the week what to do?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Dallas for the week what to do? Login/Join 
Picture of kg5388
posted
In Dallas for the week for training. what to do after class and what areas to avoid

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would plan to spend as much time as possible at Dealey Plaza and at the George W. Bush Library.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DFW metroplex is pretty large. Unless you want to do a lot of driving, what to do after classes will largely be dictated by where you are staying and your interests.

I'm sure if you will let us know where you are staying and what types of things interest you many folks will be along with good suggestions.

Enjoy your stay.

Posts: 418 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
What part of Dallas, and what are you into?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://trinityriver.audubon.org/about/visit

maybe this:
http://www.vetroartglass.com/works_gallery/

I like great bbq,
but I can't believe that a 4 hour round trip would be worth going to this place,
https://franklinbarbecue.com/

but maybe there is something else to see in Austin

http://www.dwazoo.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like great bbq,
but I can't believe that a 4 hour round trip would be worth going to this place,

Not when you can get 97% as good at either Pecan Lodge in downtown area or Hutchin's in McKinney!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Dealey Plaza idea. Things look a lot different in real life.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I like great bbq,

It might be a 4 hour round trip from Round Rock or Georgetown.

When you get there, you will stand in line, and maybe they will still have food when it is your turn to order. Usually, Franklin is sold out. They try to estimate when they will run out and inform those in line that their quest might be futile.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Franklins is definitely not worth a 4 hour drive, especially when you'll probably have to wait in line another 4 hours. There's some pretty good barbecue in DFW. I live about 12 miles from Hutchins in McKinney, its good but it gets crowded on the weekends.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Go over to Ft. Worth and hang with the cool kids.

I'm with JAllen - I'd see the Bush library. Dealy Plaza is good for an hour or two for all but the most obsessed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If you're hanging out in downtown Dallas, you might want to check out Klyde Warren Park. As I understand it, it's a free-to attend, privately funded park with lots of activities going on.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I'm with JAllen - I'd see the Bush library. Dealy Plaza is good for an hour or two for all but the most obsessed.

I guess I may be one of the obsessed. I prefer "fascinated."

I've spent more than an hour or two looking out the 6th floor window, spread over many visits. I have looked over the picket fence, walked all over the grassy knoll, the railroad tracks, stood where Abraham Zapruder filmed the motorcade, driven the motorcade route from Main Street (Houston Street is one way the wrong way now, IIRC).

I've been fascinated at the Alamo grounds, and San Jacinto as well.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I second this! (The FW part)

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
I like great bbq,

Not when you can get 97% as good at either Pecan Lodge in downtown area or Hutchin's in McKinney!
Pecan Lodge, Big Al's, Hard 8, and a few others. Even more if you're willing to take a drive.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hutchins BBQ. And get a Texas Twinkie.

http://hutchinsbbq.com

Posts: 5015 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If you happen to be in the north/east area of Dallas, Smoky Rose has some great BBQ.

http://www.smokyrose.com

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am surprised no one has suggested an evening FTF with the DFW members here. Find out where he's staying and let's plan a group dinner somewhere nearby. (Don't ask me for suggestions--I'm not a good source for food.) I'm available any evenings but Wednesday and Monday, and would be happy to participate in a group meet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Class is at Cummins in Arlington and hotel is Grand Prairie

At a loss just following gps around on sensory overload with highways and express lanes and tolls

Seen Fort Worth stockyards In movies and would like to amble over that way

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I am surprised no one has suggested an evening FTF with the DFW members here. Find out where he's staying and let's plan a group dinner somewhere nearby. (Don't ask me for suggestions--I'm not a good source for food.) I'm available any evenings but Wednesday and Monday, and would be happy to participate in a group meet.

flashguy

That would be pretty awesome. I'm out to Gainesville (GA, not TX) for mid-week, but will keep an eye on this thread!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Apologies for not following through during my last visit down there. I am still up for a forum get together at some point though.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post