SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oktoberfest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oktoberfest Login/Join 
posted
Now that the Germans have cancelled Oktoberfest for 2020, what are the chances of us getting German Oktoberfest bier here in the US ?

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We'll still get it. They produce a certain amount of beer just for export. (In fact, we may have extra availability, if they export some of their new surplus to us as well.)

In fact, much of the Oktoberfest beer exported to the US is a different, older style than what they serve at the actual Oktoberfest.

The darker, maltier Marzen was the traditional style of Oktoberfest beer up until a few decades ago. Then it switched to Wiesn (aka Festbier), which is a lighter and crisper style, which is what is served at the festival nowadays. But some of the traditional Oktoberfest manufacturers continued to produce Marzens too, primarily for export.

And most US-made Octoberfest beers are the older Marzen style.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
(In fact, we may have extra availability, if they export some of their new surplus to us as well.)

If you're really lucky, they might in fact push it on you.

quote:
Germany brewery gives away free beer unsold due to coronavirus

DPA/The Local

news@thelocal.de
@thelocalgermany

9 May 2020
14:53 CEST+02:00

A brewery in central Germany has given away thousands of litres of beer for free after a decline in sales due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The beer, produced by Willinger Brauhaus in the central state of Hessen, had been destined for hotels and restaurants which had been shuttered due to the country’s coronavirus lockdowns.

Rather than throw the beer away, the brewery decided to give 2,600 litres of it away for free. The beer only had a shelf life of eight weeks and the brewers were worried it would spoil.

The brewery also needed to clear the tanks in order to brew new batches as the country emerges from lockdown.

A long line of customers waited to get their free beer on Thursday, being sure to stay two metres from others and wearing masks.

The brewery said they hoped their generosity would be repaid by thirsty customers when they were again allowed to open.

https://www.thelocal.de/202005...d-due-to-coronavirus

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of course they don’t compare to the real Octoberfest by Munich, but they should be up & running by September.

We have some around WI, food, beer, entertainment and the rest. With the microBrews around, the beer is close enough.

I did go to the real Octoberfest one time. It was the last weekend, Saturday I think. It was very busy, almost impossible to get a seat. We did get some beer though. I also saw a handful that drank more than they could handle.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Go to Oktoberfest in Helen, Georgia. http://www.helenchamber.com/ok...ktoberfest-info.html

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I've been drinking real Oktoberfest bier here for about a decade now. My absolute favorite is the Paulaner "Weisn" Oktoberfest, which is what they were serving when I went to the Paulaner tent a few years ago. Yum!Smile

What we call 'Oktoberfest' beer here stateside is tasty, but it is not the style that has been served at the actual Oktoberfest since around 1990. What they serve there, they call 'Festbier' and some of the German brewing houses send us some of their official Festbier, but of course continue to brew and send us lots of the older type as it is very popular.

The post-1990 Oktoberfests' 'Festbier' beers have been clear golden yellow, while before the 1990 change, the 'Oktoberfest' beers were Märzen style, a darker, brownish-orange in color. Example pictures below show the color difference better than I can describe:

Festbier (currently served at Oktoberfest):

Oktoberfest Märzen style (not served at Oktoberfest since around 1990):

Link to more information than you probably want/need on the history of Oktoberfest beers down the years.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post